IET deputy president Naomi Climer: elected as a Fellow of the Royal Academy of Engineering.
The Royal Academy of Engineering has announced the election of 60 new Fellows at its recent AGM.
The Royal Academy of Engineering's (RAEng) list of new Fellows represents some of the UK's most accomplished engineers from academia and business, and comprises 12 IET members including IET deputy president Naomi Climer, president of Sony Media Cloud Services.
Commenting on the announcement, Sir John Parker GBE FREng, RAEng president, said: "We warmly welcome our new Fellows to the Academy. With their expertise, knowledge and vision we will continue to strengthen our ambition of providing authoritative, impartial, and expert engineering advice to government and to develop the Academy's growing impact and influence on a global stage."
In 2012, Naomi Climer became the first ever woman deputy president of the IET. She takes an active role in education, industry and public bodies to promote the importance of diversity to engineering practice.
As president of the newly-formed Sony Media Cloud Services, Naomi is based in California with the task of building a new business around the Ci cloud platform that will host a wide range of applications for use by media professionals such as film-makers in collaborative projects. Talking to Member News about her election to Fellow, she said, “I’m absolutely delighted to be elected as a Fellow of the Royal Academy of Engineering. The importance of engineering to society as a whole is something that I feel strongly about and I’m keen to find ways to keep the contribution of engineering visible. I hope that my Fellowship of the Royal Academy provides me with additional opportunities to help our profession measurably enhance people’s lives.”
The list of IET members elected as RAEng Fellows are as follows:
• Professor Bashir Al-Hashimi FREng FIET FBCS FIEEE - ARM Professor of Computer Engineering and Associate Dean (Research), University of Southampton
• Dr Steve Allpress FREng FIET SMIEE - Vice President and Chief Technology Officer of Modem Software, Nvidia Corporation
• Professor Muffy CALDER OBE FREng FRSE FIET FBCS - Chief Scientific Adviser for Scotland and Professor of Computer Science, University of Glasgow
• Naomi Climer FREng FIET FRSA - President of Sony Media Cloud Services and Deputy President, IET
• Professor Ian Hunter FREng FIET FIEEE - Radio Design/Royal Academy of Engineering Professor of Microwave Signal Processing, School of Electronic and Electrical Engineering, University of Leeds
• Professor Lin Li FREng FCIRP FIET FLIA - Professor, Director of Research, and Deputy Head, School of Mechanical, Aerospace and Civil Engineering, The University of Manchester
• Professor Jeffrey Magee FREng MIET FBCS FCGI MACM - Dean of the Faculty of Engineering and Professor of Computing, Imperial College London
• Marcus Vilaça FREng FIET - Chief Scientist and Vice President for Technology Strategy, Inmarsat plc
• Dr Nicholas Waltham FREng MIET - Head of Imaging Systems Division, RAL Space, Rutherford Appleton Laboratory
• Dr David Watson FREng FIET - Director, IBM Emerging Technology
• Dr Richard Wylde FREng FIET - Owner and Managing Director, Thomas Keating Ltd