IET
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Leaving a Graduate job because of bullying
Topic Summary: How do I limit the potential damage to CV?
Created On: 11 April 2013 02:46 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 11 April 2013 03:35 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

icoggan

This sounds like a difficult situation and you have my sympathy. Engineers face many challenges in their careers and working with difficult people can be more significant than any technical aspects of our roles.

Does your company have a policy / avenue on how to raise legitimate concerns? Perhaps a phone-line to an external organisation who deal with such issues or a route via the Human Resources group?

Within the UK their are many laws surrounding bullying / harassment / intimidation in the workplace and it is unreasonable for any business to operate in that manner, I imagine that more senior individuals in your organisation would be disappointed to learn such actions were taking place - it is certainly no route to motivate people to deliver at their peak or to recruit and retain quality staff, which in today's environment is vital to the smooth running of all businesses.

Were one to raise legitimate concerns there are also further laws which protect against reprisal before, during and after any investigation into the claims.

Are you aware of the free services the IET can provide you in matters such as this?
http://www.ietconnect.org/
http://www.ietconnect.org/how-we-can-help.aspx
"The types of services we offer include:
Referral to a free legal helpline where you will speak directly to a lawyer "

Your message sounds like you have already made the decision to leave - I hope the situation does not come to that.
 02 May 2013 08:56 AM

amillar

Originally posted by: CelticHeathen
I am concerned that leaving a Graduate job after less than the 2yrs looks bad on both my CPD and CV.

Why do you think this? If you decide to apply for another job which improves your career prospects that looks good from everybody's point of view. Because decent jobs don't come up that often, it's perfectly acceptable to apply for an appealing job at any time, your argument will be "this (new) job is the direction I want to go in, so whilst I would like to have completed my graduate training I wanted to grab this opportunity." This says a) you really want to work for the new company and b) you are committed to training - and would hope to see some from your new employer.

No jobs (in the UK) have barbed wire fences around them, if you don't enjoy it try finding something else.

BUT, one caveat, do make ABSOLUTELY SURE that the problems are all on your employers side and are not any of your own baggage - otherwise you can just hit the same problem again and again. I know you say "as are other staff", but (without getting deeply into the psychology of groups) there are lots of reasons why those around you can seem to be holding the same opinions as you - whether they actually do or don't. Find a friendly manager, as senior as possible, and try and have a quiet word to just check there isn't a perspective you are missing. Don't complain, just lay out how it looks from your perspective and ask if they think there's something that you are misunderstanding. It will not do any harm, and can often do you a lot of good.

Good luck!

Edit on first paragraph: Don't keep changing jobs after 18 months though, that does look bad. But once or twice early on while you're finding your way in your career is fine.

-------------------------
Andy Millar CEng MIET CMgr MCMI

http://www.linkedin.com/in/millarandy

"The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress." Joseph Joubert
 30 May 2013 01:23 PM

amillar

Of course you won't mention any of this in any job interviews...you may need to think about your reasons for leaving to make sure that you have some clear and valid reasons that avoid the need to discuss these problems. The last thing you want to do is to suggest that you are leaving because you can't get on with your boss.

But obviously if you can find a job that pays more this will be easy.

"The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress." Joseph Joubert
 30 May 2013 04:03 PM

EmilyHopkins

Hi,

If you think you may need some legal advice on your situation please get in contact with us here at IET Connect. We can provide you with free legal advice on your situation and your rights.

Email: ietconnect@theiet.org
Phone: 0845 685 0685

Emily Hopkins

External Relations Manager
IET Connect

www.ietconnect.org
 09 June 2013 03:18 PM

kengreen

Celtic Heaten,

Some general points.

Firstly ... you could not do better than adopt the help offered by Emily Hopkins.

It is obvious that you have to deal with a bully. Never bow to one such. Of course you must not go beyond limits else you "cut off your nose ... " but ultimately bullies come to respect those who stand up to them ... it is usually a matter of letting them understand that you can out-think them with superior and subtle learning. In general bullying has its roots in an inferiority complex and they NEED the feeling of power when they see people cringing before their onslaught.

Do be careful but never allow yourself to be used.

Ken Green
 18 June 2013 02:43 PM

amillar

You are far, far more employable than a graduate with no employment history. Yes, you may join another company in a "new graduate" position, but you are far more likely to get offered that position than a graduate with no experience.

Remember, this has been just one year in a 50year+ career. You can well afford to write that off to experience and start again if neccesary.

Just start applying and keep applying.

Also, use the IET mentor scheme, this will give a far more unbiased and relistic view of your position - you will probably be surprised to find how much you have learned in the past year!

Good luck,

Andy

28 June 2013 05:47 PM

icoggan

You may wish to revise the accusations made above in such a public forum. Do not expect IET members to be able to make a judgments given very limited information and only one side of the story.

I would very much doubt that you will be facing a potential legal situation. From what you say you have had no part in any impropriety. Though I can understand that you feel upset about what has happened.

Clients and Contractors always have a healthy level of suspicion - nothing new there, always plenty of finger wagging and shouting. As you said you are the Project Manager - that responsibility is not always glamorous, sometimes it means taking the blame even when you are not to blame - as the Client is not interested in your companies internal politics, if someone is getting the blame it will be you, as you are the face of your company!

Assure the client that you are addressing the situation (that is what they really want) and redo any tests / calculations that are required / (re)issue the paperwork / offer a refund / inform then you have become aware of a mistake which has occurred, but no one is interested in who said what where - they just want the issue resolved as soon as possible and their annoyance is likely they do not feel the issue is being worked to a resolution at present.

Whilst blowing is an avenue of last resort when all other routes have failed - a conversation with HR or an internal meeting with the key individuals involved with a witness in attendance would be a good start. I would call the IET Connect legal helpline for advice if that is what you wish - as previously advised by several people on this thread.
 02 September 2013 08:53 PM

HugoL

Managing others takes specific facets of personality, presentation and experience to do well. Occasionally, however, it is instructive simply knowing what not to do. Here are some of the most frequent blunders supervisors make, wringing every drop of malaise and agony from what should be a lively, collaborative office - as well as some ideas for making things right. Article resource: https://personalmoneynetwork.com/
 08 November 2013 05:56 AM

AlishaFlorik

Controlling other folks will take distinct areas of individuality, presentation as well as practical knowledge to do nicely. At times, nonetheless, it really is instructive merely figuring out what exactly to not perform. Listed below are one of the most frequent blunders professionals create, wringing just about every fall regarding malaise as well as anguish by what exactly ought to be any vibrant.

SBA Loans
 05 December 2013 05:39 PM

viivekdurairaj

Get job Quickly Through Link removed
 02 April 2014 01:24 PM

xandyxeno

Technology job fairs are a good source to get entry level jobs. As per your interest, you may entry into that.
volunteer work london
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.