Increase font size
Topic Title: Graduate level technical interview for power system engineer
Topic Summary: Preparing for technical interview questions
Created On: 18 June 2012 11:34 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 18 June 2012 11:34 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

richardnieh

I am going to have an interview on Friday. The role is a graduate power system engineer position and I have already had two interviews previously for presentation and behaviour questions

The coming one is called a graduate level technical interview and I am having a hard time to identify what field I should prepare because there are many things involved in power system. I have actually had quite a few technical questions but the interviews asked different questions just about every time. They asked me about protective relays, symmetrical components, voltage control components, transformers tap changing, different system studies and analysis method. It drives me crazy that I almost prepared the wrong way every time.

I am currently preparing for symmetrical components for different unbalanced fault situation but it is just one topic, there are still tons of topics I can think of like load analysis, transformer etc, each one of them can take me month to prepare. I understand there is really no time for me to read everything but if I can do as much as to read something that is useful for me in the interview, I can make a good impression.

If anyone can provide me some advices or guidance regarding to popular technical interview questions, I would really appreciated it.
 12 September 2012 08:56 AM

tua022012

Hi,
Good ideal, pls try to keep posting. I like this topic very much and I will digged this one. Tks again.
This link below can show more info, you can find them at: humanresources.hrvinet.com/equipment-engineer-interview-questions
Goodluck.
 28 March 2013 03:41 PM

treeen

Hi Richardnieh, how was your interview? I have a technical interview coming up with a distribution company called UK power networks and was wondering if you could offer any advice when approaching technical interviews - have no idea what to expect!
 30 March 2013 05:27 PM

GodisGreat

Technical interviews is a chance for you to flex your technical knowledge muscles that you spent years training at university. I recently had a job offer on a graduate scheme at a railway company after a series of interviwes so i can tell you how I prepared myself for them.

First thing is, do your homework about the company, extensively, see what kind of projects they are involved with, especially the ones relevant to the job you are applying for, if you can name a couple of their projects, they might be impressed by that.

Study the basics of your field, I am guessing your field is electrical in that case, topics such as powe generation, distribution, power consumption are relevant, the likelihood is that they will ask you a specific senario where your electrical power fundamental knowledge can be applied, i.e how to work out the power needed for a newly built restaurant. However, they may also ask you to explain a certain electrical equipment i.e the difference between ac and dc motors or why cant transformers regulate dc current?

The key to a successful technical interview is good preperation, put in as much hard work in that as you put in during your degree. I hope you find this useful and good luck with your interview.
 05 March 2014 04:54 AM

hjeff045

You have to prepare all the basic question regarding power system. How many types of power system , how they work advantages of power system. Try to give to the point answer. When you answer be confident.

-------------------------
https://au.igrads.com
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.