IET
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Car Parking System
Topic Summary: Study into a new system or application that would allow drivers to find nearby parking spaces and their availability
Created On: 20 September 2010 11:14 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 20 September 2010 11:14 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

vng01

Hi All,
I'm not sure if anyone's posted a similar topic on here before, but having experienced this problem many a time when travelling around Manchester City Centre, I wanted to find out if anyone was working on a solution - if not, would anyone be interested in working with me to create one?

Problem 1: You're driving around the city centre looking for an available parking space; your mobile phone application only tells you where the nearest car parks are, not on-street parking. What you'd like is for the mobile phone application to tell you exactly where the nearest parking SPACE is; how much it costs to park there; and more importantly, if it's empty.

Problem 2: You're in a car park, you've taken your ticket from the machine, now you need to find an available space. What you'd really like is for the car park to tell you where the nearest available space is, rather than you having to go round and round searching for one.

I know there has been a system implemented at Heathrow Terminal 5, but it's very costly and I doubt that you would be able to "upgrade" existing car parks to that level.

Benefits: If an application could be developed to solve these problems, it would actually create some significant benefits:

1. Time saved for the Driver
2. Fuel saved by the Driver
2. Less Traffic
4. Less Road Rage

There are then consequential benefits for City Councils and the Environment, with less traffic, means less congestion and less pollution.

From my initial research, this kind of major project would require the involvement and collaboration with Local Councils, database information for on-street parking spaces; mobile phone software developers and hardware developers to provide sensors to detect parking space availability.

I know a similar system is already undergoing trials in San Francisco, but I just wanted to find out if anything similiar was being developed in the UK?

Many thanks.

Vivien Lang

-------------------------
Viv Lang
 16 November 2010 04:24 PM

Lisamiles

It would be great if this was developed!

It would stop me driving all the way to St Albans then driving around St Albans for an hour looking for a parking space only to give up and drive all the way back home!

Lisa

Community Relationship Manager - The IET
 31 January 2011 11:29 PM

RRichard

Originally posted by: Lisamiles

It would be great if this was developed!

It would stop me driving all the way to St Albans then driving around St Albans for an hour looking for a parking space only to give up and drive all the way back home!

I cant see it working, most on street spaces get filled within seconds of being vacated by the previous vehicle.
 22 May 2011 04:43 AM

akshay625

Hi,
In a Developing Country like India, the mixed mode country side traffic have very chaotic in nature relating to driving and parking haphazardly which many a times put into trouble to other road users.Can I know what would be the effective mechanism to tackle this type of road management irregularities by the State or Federal Government ?

------
Akshay
 27 May 2011 11:21 AM

BrianONeill75

I have seen systems in place in car parks where there is a light above each space which changes colour from red to green, depending on whether the space is occupied. This reduces the frustration from having to snake up and down each row to find a place as you can locate spaces before you go down a row.

As RRichard said, spaces can be filled pretty much immediately, so any system would have to be very dynamic. There is certainly merit in a smartphone solution, but I feel that any such system would only lead to frustration when driver get to a space which was free, just to see someone else parking up.

If money was no option, how about a system where you reserve a space on your approach into a town, and a sign in the parking bay shows your registration number. You'd probably have to pay from the time of reservation, but then the space is yours. There would be a number of problems to overcome, but all are possible.

Of course the fundamental problem with any system is the human element. If a driver fails to park within their bay then that has an impact on everybody else.

The only solution to that is more rigourous enforcement of regulations. Likewise for Akshay's problem; rules have to be put in place, and then citizens have to follow them.
 20 August 2012 07:59 AM

electricaltestinguk1

I hope it will develop so less effort for the driver to find parking area.
It's been a problem since a lot vehicles today was roaming around.
looking forward for this system.
 20 August 2012 09:04 PM

AlanKay

How about this trial?
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-19271148

Alan Kay, CEng MIEE
 11 September 2012 08:31 AM

gomes45

It's such a good news for Car Parking System. In developed countries, provides the facility for car parking system on the road in a particular area. By using car parking system, car parking difficulties resolve.
 12 September 2012 09:05 AM

gomes45

If you are learning parallel parking, remember that practice is the key to becoming good at it, but it can often be a difficult thing to learn, especially is you're trying it on a very busy street. Instead of first learning on a street where others may be annoyed at your multiple attempts to line up parallel to the curb, consider trying your first attempts outside your home if the street is quiet, or in an unused parking lot, where you can park next to a fence or wall, so you can get that "feel" for bringing a car close to a curb.
 04 April 2013 11:31 AM

SethPaynee

If you're in a real pinch, mobile parking apps can be a heaven sent. Simply download the application to your smartphone and you'll enjoy instant access to thousands of parking spots around the world. Top picks include:

Parker Mobile - Developed by Streetline, the Parker Mobile app offers real-time parking data streamed directly to your phone. Simply look for Streetline's electronic street signs at intersections in participating cities and then check your phone for parking spot availability. The Parker app currently services city's like Lax Airport ParkingLAX Airport Parking, San Francisco and Roosevelt Island in New York City. This app is available for free.

PrimoSpot - Available for New York City, Boston, and the Seattle metro areas, the PrimoSpot app allows you to view on-street free and metered parking, garages, and even bike racks. Cost is $2.99.

OpenSpot - OpenSpot is an app for Android phones that shows open parking spot near your location. The app appears to work in the US, Canada, and the Netherlands and has the capability of pulling up parking spots within 0.9 miles of your location.

Parkopedia - This app provides comprehensive coverage of all paid and free parking garages and allows you to search using your current location or an address. Loaded with useful information, this app includes opening hours, up-to-date prices, real-time space availability and even height restrictions.

Edited: 23 May 2013 at 05:23 AM by SethPaynee
 04 April 2013 03:10 PM

iie63674

Of course, this is just what we need in cities - even more people driving around looking at their smartphones instead of at the road!
 02 July 2013 10:09 AM

kushaneng

In Japan Toyota has already developed a system call G-Book.. it is fantastic.. in order to do that you have to make infrastructure for that like transmitters every where in the city.. if there is a Japanese here we can learn more about it.. its hard to know the depth of it since every thing is in Japanese
 11 July 2013 05:20 AM

Brenner

Originally posted by: AlanKay

How about this trial?

Link removed/news/uk-england-london-19271148

Interesting reading. Cheers for the link.
 16 January 2014 07:14 AM

hjeff045

This type of application is really very helpful for the people. I like this idea. Finding the parking space with mobile app is really easy.

https://au.igrads.com
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.