Increase font size
Topic Title: Any Friendly Advice
Topic Summary:
Created On: 18 August 2014 04:51 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 18 August 2014 04:51 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Tim24

Hello just looking for some advise,

Currently setting my self up as a sole trader, i have been working as an electrician for 8 years and have finally decided to take the leap of faith.

has anyone got any good advice for a new start up company, also any advise when it comes to joining the NICEIC, i have been reading on the their web site but any advise from experience would be much appreciated.

Thanks
 18 August 2014 05:04 PM

prophet

Hiya

Just be prepared for a slog the first 6 months as you pay for everything (self cert, tools, van, insurance etc) BUT it DOES get better! And remember the NIC isn't the be all and end all (although they think they are).

Work out your prices for your area and what you'll need to make a living on (e.g per hour and per day) and don't let customers bully you into lowering them.

Tom
 18 August 2014 05:18 PM

daveparry1

As above plus don't expect to make a profit every week, take a wage (when you can!) and put some away for the quiet times. So many people become self employed, and then have a good week then spend it all, only to find their work's dried-up. Things just don't work out that way.
 18 August 2014 05:26 PM

Tim24

Ok thanks guys, i was looking at the price of joining the niceic, thought it was a bit steep!!!
 18 August 2014 05:56 PM

daveparry1

There is a cheaper one called Stroma, I don't know what they're like but if it's just for self-certification reasons probably ok?
 18 August 2014 07:09 PM

Tim24

ok thanks i will check it out
 18 August 2014 09:34 PM

GJH

I would go NAPIT
 18 August 2014 09:35 PM

Zs

Where are you Tim? I need back-up here as I come off the tools. My customers just won't let me go. I just put half a bin bag out and we only get collection once a fortnight. That says work-life balance has gone oingy-boingy. Please say South Bucks and be a really nice bloke. I'll pay for the coffee.

Zs
 19 August 2014 12:27 PM

stephenbiddle

Don't join any of the bodies unless you have to. I have personal experience of ECA/ELECSA, NAPIT and NICEIC. They are all a waste of money, however some customers insist on NIC membership, in which case you will have to write it off as a marketing expense.

Just follow BS7671 correctly and issue appropriate certificates. Any queries about Part P tell the customer to do it themselves as no one understands or cares.

You can get all the help you need on this forum.

Have fun!
 19 August 2014 08:19 PM

Cremeegg

Get a good accountant. You will soon build business by word of mouth if you do the simple things correctly. Don't waste money on flash advertising, or web based registers that promise the earth. Don't get greedy. Don't believe all you read on the schemes websites - they are all after your money hand will be flexible in their requirements to make sure they get your money. IMHO NAPIT are the best of a bad bunch.

Good luck - plenty of excellent advice on here - from good practice to the innermost pedantic detail of every obscure Reg number known.
 20 August 2014 06:32 AM

Tim24

Thanks again for the advice.

Can any one recommend a good accountant?

ZS I'm not far from south bucks and yes I consider myself to be I nice bloke.
 20 August 2014 09:30 AM

daveparry1

If you're a sole trader just get some information from HMRC and use the self-assessment system, no need to pay for greedy accountants!
 20 August 2014 12:20 PM

stephenbiddle

Be careful accounts and bookkeepers vary enormously in ability and cost. It has taken me 25 years to find someone I can recommend

http://www.adepta-online.co.uk/team.html

I don't know if she covers your area, but I'm sure she'd give you some pointers.

Remember the sole purpose of an accountant is to save you more in tax avoidance than you are paying them in fees.

Try to keep out of VAT if you have domestic customers.
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.