Increase font size
Topic Title: Dimming LED lighting
Topic Summary: Dimming LED lighting
Created On: 01 November 2013 12:45 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 01 November 2013 12:45 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

HarryJMacdonald

The literature is quite clear that you need special dimmers (trailing edge dimmers) for LED lighting and you need dimmable LED lamps.

Does anyone know why?

What happens if you use an ordinary dimmer, does the lamp fail, does the dimmer fail or does it simply not dim properly.

What happens if you have a mix of LED and filament lamps on the dimmed circuit?

I have a 2 gang dimmer switch and I want to change one of the lamps to LED (BC22 pendant) but for the other circuit (wall washers with 117mm linear TH) I can't find dimmable LED lamps.
 01 November 2013 01:11 PM

allaway

It is even worse than you think. You have to get the right combination of dimmer and LED lamp. If you want to change the lamp for a brighter version - you need exactly the same brand or the dimmer may not work.
 01 November 2013 01:31 PM

Legh

I have found that the thyristor type 'leading edge' dimmers used to control tungsten filament lamps sometimes work better that their tailing edge counterparts.

Its a bit like using a linear pot where logarithmic control is required and of course you get the flickering as well with certain combinations.

I was recommended by one knowledgeable chap at a trade counter a particular combination that actually provided no dimming function at all.

Tip of the day: ....To get the maximum dimming function select the most knowledgeable person at the wholesalers...

Legh

-------------------------
Why do we need Vernier Calipers when we have container ships?

http://www.leghrichardson.co.uk

"Science has overcome time and space. Well, Harvey has overcome not only time and space - but any objections."
 01 November 2013 07:58 PM

antric2

We have been getting our customers to see and buy dimmers,LEDS and fittings direct.
We make it quite clear not to go dimmable yet but if they insist then we tell them that even though we will be a bit flexible,we will not be responsible for multi return visits to rectify problems without charging.

We have lost money on jobs in the early days because of the varied and unreliabillity of dimming LEDS.
Then there is the off staus of LEDS.Customers havnt liked the yellow appearence of the LEDS, or the slightly protruding edges or the hue of the emmitted light despite showing samples before fitted.
Unless you charge a high job price to make it worth your while,I recommend you only act as installer otherwise you will loose money.
Regards
Antric
 02 November 2013 09:21 PM

timjames2

Dimming LED lights using a variable voltage is fraught with difficulties. I have a lot of LED lighting in my house (went mad about 4 years ago after flood damage rebuilding) and I went for LED drivers controlled by DMX. For normal lights (such as over the island in the kitchen, and in the utility room) we stuck with Halogen GU10s. I've not found a direct LED replacement for a GU10 - my advice would always be - use LEDs for what they're good for (colour changing, mood lights etc) and stick with Halogen for simple lighting things up.

-------------------------
Tim James
PAT Testing Expert Ltd

PAT Testing Course
 03 November 2013 08:56 PM

HarryJMacdonald

" I've not found a direct LED replacement for a GU10"
LEDhut do one that I've been very pleased with, SMD so it looks a bit different but a good light and at 4.5W uses a load less electricity than 50W halogen (£4.50 per year to run for a year rather than £50).

http://www.ledhut.co.uk/gu10-s...t-internet-price.html

No connection other than satisfied customer.
 04 November 2013 10:12 AM

shrek

I know on the bell lighting website they have a list of dimmers that work with the individual led lamps. We have supplied several jobs using them and have had no bother with them. I don't work for bell by the way
 13 November 2013 01:56 PM

msandoz

Plenty on the market, you just have to ensure they are compatible, plus there is a 1-10 unwritten rule for dimming LED's ie 400W dimmer will only do 40W LED.
Scolmore do a good cheap GU10 LED lamp.
 17 July 2014 08:19 AM

parleparrish

The dimmable led driver can be used to control the led lighting systems from the voltage fluctuations and also converting the AC power into appropriate DC voltage suitable for the lighting systems.
Textled strip lights uk
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.