Increase font size
Topic Title: Retainers
Topic Summary: Advice required
Created On: 06 August 2013 08:03 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 06 August 2013 08:03 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

microy

How do retainers work?

If I am on call 24/7 can I charge a retainer fee and, if so, How much and how does it work?

Mike.
 06 August 2013 09:42 AM

davezawadi

This is a case of you agreeing a contract with the customer. You will probably need a solicitor to make sure you get a fair deal. These contracts usually contain penalty clauses (if you fail to attend within the specified period for example).

Are you in a position to offer this, you will need at least 6 staff to be sure that you can get attendance all year and remember you may need to get another contractor if too many of them are sick or on holiday?

Penalties are usually pretty high, because the customer does not enter into these deals without needing them as contracted. Remember it costs a lot on Christmas day etc, very few people want to put off celebrating without a big payment!

I offer these deals on a one hour response (actually ready for work at the venue) for about £10K per year, with a limit on callouts and an attendance charge each time (Otherwise they will call you daily!).

-------------------------
David
CEng etc, don't ask, its a result not a question!
myurl
 06 August 2013 11:48 AM

microy

David.Thanks for your reply.

It appears then that my best option is to work on a call-out basis, with higher rates for emergency call-outs and unsocial hours.

Regards.

Mike.
 06 August 2013 07:06 PM

24Hour

I charge at present £120 a week each for standby for 8 seperate compaines covering 24/7.
I got pulled by the old bill at christmas and he wanted to know why i had 16 mobiles all switched on in my van , and 8 sets of uniform lol .

Then hourly rate on top of that, however dont expect to be booking in any decent work during the day, as ive known several people who did the same as me, got greedy and then crashed there vans into lamp posts , post boxes etc, and nearly killed themselves.

-------------------------
Yes i do do 24/7 everyday of the FLAMIN year.
 07 August 2013 08:18 AM

adammid

24 hour

my question is........and is it all worth it? can you still earn a decent living and not let your regular daily customers down. What do yuo do if you get two callouts at the same time.......and why 16 mobiles? will one not be enough? you can only talk into one at once after all.
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.