Increase font size
Topic Title: Havells Switchgear
Topic Summary: The next Great Product?
Created On: 13 June 2013 10:31 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 13 June 2013 10:31 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

whjohnson

Called at Edmunsuns yesterday after a call fro teir rep.

They were keen to show me some new switchgear etc that they were stocking.

Story goes:
Havells (India-based) used to have an exclusive deal to make the mcbs for all Wylex switchgear & distribution systems.

Schneider takes over Wylex and insists that Wylex now uses Siemens for its mcbs/rcbos.

Eaton takes over MEM and one of MEM's former star employees/designers leaves to take up design work for Havells.

That's the politics out of the way.

Had a good look at a Havells 8 way 3 phase board and it looks quite nice. In fact, it is very reminiscent of MEMSHIELD 2 stuff. Heavy gauge steel sheet and very robust looking. Nicely finished and supplied with optional-fit paxolin inserts for top and bottom entry.

Prices aren't bad either, with an 8 way coming in at around £82+vat.
4 pole disconnector coming in at £34
Single pole Type C mcb £5.27
3 pole Type C mcb £22.71.
Type C 10KA rcbos are £29 (Type B 6KA £16)

They also do a domestic 2 x RCD 10 way CU with mcbs for £48.

Has anyone used this stuff, and if so, what are your views?

-------------------------
Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
 13 June 2013 10:43 PM

primo

A colleague of mine has used the TP board and was impressed with it. Luckily enough for me I got to use the Paxolin insert that the Havills board came with (didn't look like actual Paxolin though!) for a Wylex board the other day as he didn't use it on his install! I have seen the CU on display and I thought it looked good but was in need of some more convincing at the time so didn't try it out. Interesting background story though.
 13 June 2013 11:46 PM

dickllewellyn

It is being specced quite a lot apparently, I'm yet to come across one myself, but hear good things....

Regards
Richard (Dick)

"Insert words of wisdom and/or witty pun here"
 13 June 2013 11:51 PM

peteTLM

I did hear that they used to manufacture dorman smith stuff, but under a different company name. info available is quite good, which is more than can be said for some makes.....

----------------------------------------
Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine....

Every man has to know his limitations- Dirty Harry
 14 June 2013 08:42 AM

John Peckham

I saw he Havills kit at Elex and it did look good. I liked their panel boards. I have not seen it in the wild and I have no idea how it performs in terms of reliability.

I was working yesterday on an instillation with Memshield 2 kit, panel board and DBs. Myself and my colleague were mourning the loss of this kit and the replacement with the Memshield 3 range. Why oh why replace a well respected winning product with products that look nice but appear to the critical eye to be "value engineered"? I used to specify Schneider or Memshield 2 but now specify Hager instead of the later.

John Peckham

http://www.astutetechnicalservices.co.uk/
 15 June 2013 06:10 AM

den1962

Hi all. I installed a three phase four way board
Last year when they first came out, found them very roomy well made, looks and feels like the old mem shield 2.
 15 June 2013 02:24 PM

prophet

As they made MCBs for Wylex before Siemens took over, are they responsible for making the faulty MCB's that overheated?

The three phase boards look good Plenty of metering options.
 16 June 2013 12:27 AM

whjohnson

No, the faulty Wylex mcb debacle occurred after Siemens took the job over.
It seems everything was fine before Siemens got involved via the Schneider take-over.

Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.