IET logo

IET
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Cable - getting harder to get good stuff.
Topic Summary:
Created On: 24 March 2013 11:19 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 24 March 2013 11:19 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

JZN

Where are you lot getting cable from and whose do you use in preference. I'm finding it harder and harder to get good cable.

My local independant wholesaler has always been a bit dear for cable so I've generally gone elsewhere unless I'm desperate. However it was generally good stuff. Had a roll of 3core and earth form there. It was so twisted on the roll that we could not draw it up old cable runs on a rewire.

Took it back and they replaced it. Inner cores' insulation welded to the grey sheath so almost impossible to strip. Drums had BASEC markings but no manufacrturers stamp.

My local CEF no longer stocke Doncaster Cable which was always OK. The current stuff they sell seems little better than that described above.

Got some from Wilts. Xanthi Cables i think it was. Rubbish too and the copper cores looked a suspicious colour.

I've found that the Copper Cable Company cables from Electric Centre is OK and so I've stuck with that recently. don't be fooled by the English sounding name. It's from Poland. BASEC marked but comes off the drums OK and strips OK too.

Anywhere else selling good cable?

John
 24 March 2013 11:42 AM

michaelbrett

I have always used Prysmian (or their predecessor) cables. As a second choice, I will use Draka cables.

After the Atlas Kablo fisaco, I am glad that I have stuck to my guns in not buying cheap knowingly imported cable.

I have not had any problems with either of the two manufacturers cables.

At the moment, I'm buying cable from Medlocks as they are reasonably priced.

Is it case of pay cheap, get crap?

Regards

Mike
 24 March 2013 11:45 AM

dbullard

I can fully understand where you are coming from, again my local independent stocks some horrible cable which is a "burger" to strip, even worse when cold.

I now buy from Denmans when they have a special on Prysimian.

Lovely to strip and work with, you pay for what you get, it saves time and effort and costs maybe a few quid extra, Doncaster cable is nice but I believe that part of the CEF group was sold to YES as part of the deal.

Regards

D

-------------------------
..... Dont pee in my pocket and tell me its raining ......

www.quest-electrical-sw.co.uk
 24 March 2013 11:55 AM

michaelbrett

Just going through my post, the local Edmundsons have a special offer on 2.5mm² and 1.5mm² T&E.

Although in saying that, I have found that Edmundsons are becoming very expensive for certain items.

Regards

Mike
 24 March 2013 12:04 PM

stateit

On the domestic scene seeing as you're only going to get through a few-or-so drums cable per house I don't mind paying an extra £5 a drum and getting Prysmian. that seems consistently OK to me.

If my usual wholesaler hasn't got it in stock that day then the proliferation of Screwfix/ElectricFix depots springing up in every town around me make it easy to get hold of.

S George
http://www.sg-electrical.com
 24 March 2013 12:15 PM

dickllewellyn

I'm fortunate in that my local independent buys Doncaster. CEF sold the firm I believe, and from what I can gather they are now an independent company. They do also make cable for yesss and Brand it as GB Cables. Our local Wilts stocks Prysmian too which is always my first choice, and keep an eye on screwfix as they often have prysmian on special at sensible prices.

Regards
Richard (Dick)

"Insert words of wisdom and/or witty pun here"
 24 March 2013 01:39 PM

sparkiemike

I tend to stick with Prysmian, altough I have noticed that they are not consistant - sometimes the outer sheath is smooth & shiny and sometimes it has is a matt texture to it. And core colours can vary. I contacted them about it - appartently it depends on which machine it came off.

My local Rexel Senate copper prices are all over the place. Sometimes they are cheaper then Screwfix and sometimes way over the top and even when I show them the Screwfix prices they can't/won't match it - never mind better it. It has gotten the the point that I have to ask them to quote on everything 1st so I can keep an eye on the prices. I can't trust Senate to give me the best price everytime
 24 March 2013 01:42 PM

slittle

We've noticed the same with LSF XLPE SWA from eddys.

Sometime you can strip it no problems, other times it's useless. I'm sure quality control is going out of the window in favour of cost.

I was discussing cable and accessories with my tame sales rep there last week, his answer was "the industry demands cheap prices so that means we drive the price down, which in turn makes the products rubbish"

My reply....... " I'd rather pay a few pence more and sleep at night"

Stu
 24 March 2013 03:15 PM

dbullard

Originally posted by: slittle

We were discussing cable and accessories with my tame sales rep there last week, his answer was "the industry demands cheap prices so that means we drive the price down, which in turn makes the products rubbish"
My reply....... " I'd rather pay a few pence more and sleep at night"
Stu

Stu I have the same issue, but most contractors in my end just want crap, I hate the fact that every single box of cable clips now manufactured is total rubbish, even the swa cleats wont fit the usual size and I demand my wholesaler physically checks the swa cleat prior to dispatching my order, as I will counter charge for lost time waiting for the correct cleat.

Seems a day of ranting, guess every one is "pi##ed off" with crap, I would gladly spend another £5 on a roll of cable for ease, and would really like continuity on the the accessories supplied, I cant even get tele cleats in my "crappy little town"

Regards

D

..... Dont pee in my pocket and tell me its raining ......

www.quest-electrical-sw.co.uk
 24 March 2013 03:38 PM

OldSparky

aei was the best and used it for years until they stopped making it, try to use draka t&e where possible,,

always get the excuse from the suppliers we cant get it.. ***** they just want to sell the cheap rubbish
 24 March 2013 07:56 PM

mikejumper

Originally posted by: JZN
My local CEF no longer stocke Doncaster Cable which was always OK. The current stuff they sell seems little better than that described above.

The last time I went in to CEF to buy cable I needed about £300 worth. When they said they no longer had Doncaster I went elsewhere.
I found Doncaster consistently reliable and didn't mind paying more for it.

I wonder how long Doncaster will last competing agaist cheaper imports.
 24 March 2013 11:34 PM

sparkingchip

I hate the rubbish cardboard roll and box packaging that Prysmian use, absolute waste of time if the rolls have to go in and out of the van a few times. Even if you are using it straight off the roll the idea that it can be pulled out of the box is a complete non-starter, the box just shreds to pieces, but if you take it out of the box the roll falls to pieces, even on a cable stand.

Andy
 25 March 2013 09:03 AM

northernlights

Originally posted by: JZN

>>>My local CEF no longer stocke Doncaster Cable which was always OK. The current stuff they sell seems little better than that described above. <<<

I thought Doncaster cables was owned by CEF

John
 25 March 2013 09:46 AM

stateit

Originally posted by: sparkingchip

I hate the rubbish cardboard roll and box packaging that Prysmian use, absolute waste of time if the rolls have to go in and out of the van a few times. Even if you are using it straight off the roll the idea that it can be pulled out of the box is a complete non-starter, the box just shreds to pieces, but if you take it out of the box the roll falls to pieces, even on a cable stand.

Andy

I've got some of these:Reel Savers

An initial outlay, but over the last year the have saved me £££s of time, hassle and no more disintegrating cable reels.

S George
http://www.sg-electrical.com
 25 March 2013 10:20 AM

impvan

Doncaster Cables is no longer owned by CEF. I'm told by my local branch that it was bought out by its MD as part of the restructuring - sorry, infighting - at CEF following the death of old man Mackie.
 25 March 2013 10:12 PM

antric2

Prysmium everytime and Doncaster is 2nd choice.
The Electric centres are offering special at the moment on 2.5 at £40 + vat .

Atlas Kable is terrible and must admit that Copper cable company can be a bit twisty off the reel.
 25 March 2013 10:29 PM

ebee

Not too keen on Doncaster, it does not slip thru joists easy and not the best stripper (I do not abuse the cpc as a stripper). Copper Cable Co or Irish Driver Harris preferred. I used to use AEI and not tried Prysmian since it was so named

Whatever you use its got to be worth £5 or £10 extra at least to strip easy.

Actually Doncaster is not that bad to if you are prepared to use slidy blady down cpc method but I`ve been out of practice for a few years now, it`s the way we always were taught to do and had it to a fine art without damaging conductors - many today would not have a clue - you`d have to practice on a whole roll and get each one perfick before being let loose on yer own,

Regards,
Ebee (M I S P N)

Knotted cables cause Lumpy Lektrik

Edited: 25 March 2013 at 10:36 PM by ebee
 25 March 2013 10:43 PM

ebee

I bet Norman can give us a rundown on cables, BICC, Pirreli etc

Regards,
Ebee (M I S P N)

Knotted cables cause Lumpy Lektrik
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.