Increase font size
Topic Title: multi testers
Topic Summary:
Created On: 30 January 2013 04:26 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 30 January 2013 04:26 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

jamesrussell

Just been offered a kewtech kt64 from a repair centre second hand but comes with calibration cert £200
I personnally fancied megger or fluke but at this price I feel like its a good deal
I havent heard of this model so basically all I need to know is anyone out there using one of these babys

ps I use a separate megger for cont &insul
and a metrel for loop and rcd
 30 January 2013 04:38 PM

vesuvius

We use some kewtech stuff, not the multi tester the individual testers and I have to say I find them pretty solid.

Your probably saving yourself the guts of £300 here.
 30 January 2013 06:24 PM

jamesrussell

yes thats what i thought but is there anybody using one now
 30 January 2013 07:19 PM

Legh

Well, I'm still waiting for a reply from someone regarding a Fluke.

Legh

-------------------------
Why do we need Vernier Calipers when we have container ships?

http://www.leghrichardson.co.uk

"Science has overcome time and space. Well, Harvey has overcome not only time and space - but any objections."
 30 January 2013 07:55 PM

jamesrussell

well when i was talking to the repairers they reckoned getting parts for flukes was diabolical.
they liked meggers and they sold the metrels so does this help you
Legh
 30 January 2013 09:07 PM

DOUGIE1000

I got a kt64 as one of our many meters, think from memory paid about £500+vat, it came with all the leads, adaptors, light mates, plug in adaptors, ring bridging croc clips.

The feed back from us would be not to shabby a meter, worth a shout at £200 for a spare.

Please note the kt65 does earth rod and phase rotation as additional. Also it comes in a bag nd is almost identical to fluke

Dougie
Power Plus Electrical.co.uk

My mission is to live as long as possible......so far so good!
 31 January 2013 08:46 AM

jamesrussell

Thanks Dougie
dont really want to use this as a spare but as main unit are you saying its not really up to job
 31 January 2013 05:13 PM

jamesrussell

as an update they are selling metrel mi 3125 for 100 quid extra brand new 3yr guaruntee
has anyone got experience of this baby
 31 January 2013 07:48 PM

vesuvius

Originally posted by: Legh

Well, I'm still waiting for a reply from someone regarding a Fluke.

Legh

We have a fluke multi tester Legh. ill be honest it looks the bizz but i never really use it. I dont know if its because im so used to megger now but i try and avoid it if possible.

Theres nothing technically wrong with the meter dont get me wrong. just silly things like you have to connect the wires a certain way or it starts beeping at you or doesnt work, you have to hold the button in for a ohm reading i think also. its probably more me being to lazy to read the instructions and spend a bit of time using the meter, but heh.
 31 January 2013 09:22 PM

DOUGIE1000

Originally posted by: jamesrussell

Thanks Dougie

dont really want to use this as a spare but as main unit are you saying its not really up to job

Because of you, I swapped my normal megger with the kt64 so can give you a electricians review,

Good points;

Test leads and probes of good sound connections, our meter is over a year old and probes are still good stiff tight fits,

Crock clips OK

RCD auto, I like the plug in press test and go rest the rcd 4 times, most meters do this anyway. However I quite like the full 4 test results displayed at end of test.

The ohms test was spot on, shorted leads as soon as taken out test bag, O.OOohms,, also exchanged probe for press putting probe, reading went up to 0.04 ohms, nothing major and could be reset to 0 if needed. With ohms testing no need to press the test button to test ohms as testing ohms all the time anyway.

There were meter instructions on the lid of the meter although a spark shouldn't need them.

All readings and text is nice and large and can clearly be seen ie without glasses.

All clips, probes, socket testers ect fits neatly into test bag.

Disadvantages

Earth loop takes slightly longer than megger
The test bag do sent have a space for my test certificates, same as my megger however I upgraded case flight case.

I was constantly changing leads from points in back of meter

The meter is quite heavy, doing heart loop and r1+r2 on a large property with lots of lights gave me a sore neck after a while. I wonder if there was a seat belt cover thingy in kit when we bought it as certainly long gone now.

Talking about strap, the clip was broken on my meter and strap was ties in a knot.

Loop test could do with a quick earth loop test that is for circuits that don't have rcd's, I was testing a all RCD property and repeating some earth loop tests in exactly same situation as experienced high readings meter came up with different better low readings, ie

Overall, very good meter and I liked it.

Dougie
Power Plus Electrical.co.uk

My mission is to live as long as possible......so far so good!
 01 February 2013 09:59 AM

jamesrussell

Thanks Dougie your a star I feel more confident now and will be calling to see the machine early next week
I saw one on fea bay go for £165 last night and this didnt have a cal cert
so If I deduct the cal cert off the price of machine its dirt cheap umm
just out of curiosity are you familier with handheld metrel 3125
thats brand new for 100 quid extra or 145 with test probe switch
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.