Increase font size
Topic Title: Megger replacement leads
Topic Summary:
Created On: 16 November 2012 08:40 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 16 November 2012 08:40 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

geov

Hi all,
for a regular viewer but infrequent poster.....any recommendations for replacement leads for the 1552? The crocs have become increasingly unreliable and the meter end connections could be tighter.

I recall this has been discussed previously but the Search facility is not bringing up any results.

Thanks.
 16 November 2012 09:17 AM

John Peckham

Have a look at Rapid Electronics on line. They do good silicone leads and nice croc. clips with parallel jaws. They do fused probes but these have 500mA fuses so you will have to change these for 10A for loop testing. They also do the Fluke TP38 probes which are good for reaching in to deep terminals. Kewtech do a decent set of leads and probes.

Why oh Why do manufactures do good test kit a pack them with S88t leads? The latest Megger ones are an improvment on the old ones but they scored an own goal with the plugs not going in to the socket and see 13A adaptors and test boxes. Their answer at Elex was to turn the leads around in the meter, so that's alright then?

-------------------------
John Peckham

http://www.astutetechnicalservices.co.uk/
 16 November 2012 09:49 AM

kj scott

Try here

http://www.niceic.biz
 16 November 2012 10:04 AM

DOUGIE1000

Go to your nearest ROSS electrical, http://www.neweysonline.co.uk/...2.r10.1/Search.raction (dont go by there scary online prices and go into branch and haggle a price)

There Newlec test leads come in a Newlec bag, however when opened are branded Megger and are made and stamped with megger, i still have a Megger warning tag on my 3 probe to socket test lead and these came from Ross electrical. Get original genuine Megger test leads cheaper than buying Megger.

More money saving tips available,.......

Dougie
Power Plus Electrical.co.uk

My mission is to live as long as possible......so far so good!
 16 November 2012 10:30 AM

geov

Thanks all for the prompt response.
John, is the Megger not designed for use of non fused test leads? Does the use of fused test leads create any issues.

KJS - I've used ISS on various occassions and always found them to offer good value - the question remains, which ones!

Dougie - again thanks. I'm keen to try a different make, but useful info to have.
 16 November 2012 11:03 AM

John Peckham

Yes the Megger has internal fuses for the leads but it is not a bad idea to put the fuse as close to the source as possible for your protection. What protection would the internal fuse offer if one of the leads connected to the line conductor shorted to earth?

John Peckham

16 November 2012 07:04 PM

hifly

the new fluke ones are good

Vince

Prove Dead Stay Alive

Christmas Cards for trades people

http://www.tradegreetingcards.com
 16 November 2012 10:56 PM

KFH

The tip for turning the new megger leads around does not work on the 1552. The new leads are also in new colours: Blue, green and red! The crocks on the new leads are slightly better but as the pointed tip has to be removed to use the crocks you have to find somewhere to put it. No suggestions required :-)
 16 November 2012 11:32 PM

kj scott

Originally posted by: geov

KJS - I've used ISS on various occassions and always found them to offer good value - the question remains, which ones!

If you would like to contact me we could discuss your options. As a forum member no affiliation and FOC of course.

http://www.niceic.biz
 17 November 2012 04:03 PM

weirdbeard

Originally posted by: John Peckham

They do fused probes but these have 500mA fuses so you will have to change these for 10A for loop testing.

Hi John, sorry if this seems pedantic, but I use fused leads though must admit off the top of my head I don't know the fuse rating, but isn't it generally frowned upon these days to uprate by 20 times a manufacturers supplied protective device?

Yes the Megger has internal fuses for the leads but it is not a bad idea to put the fuse as close to the source as possible for your protection. What protection would the internal fuse offer if one of the leads connected to the line conductor shorted to earth?

Again, sorry but pendantic, but if theres a risk of a live test lead shorting to earth isn't there a similar risk from an unfused earth lead that may short to live?
 22 November 2012 12:33 PM

MEGGERTSG

Hello geov

Back in March last year the standard for testleads changed which meant a number alterations were made to manufacturer's testleads and croc clips.

Although the MFT1552 is no longer available the 3 wire leadset (1001-991) for the MFT1700 will suit the unit. This has improved croc clips and probes tips

Regards

Megger Technical Support
 22 November 2012 12:49 PM

Zs

Absolutely none. Sadly, I can tell you that first hand since a slip whilst taking a Zs measurement from the inside of a fused spur this week. I almost put it down as a limitation because it was such a difficult switch to get to, right in the back of an airing cupboard. But decided to lean in and do it. It took out the lead, the neon in the fused spur and the cicuit breaker. I knew carrying some old fuse wire was a good idea and haven't used it for yonks until then. Fortunately the megger survived but the tip of the lead now has a melted blob of brass in place of a probe.

Zs
 22 November 2012 01:13 PM

geov

Originally posted by: MEGGERTSG

Hello geov

Back in March last year the standard for testleads changed which meant a number alterations were made to manufacturer's testleads and croc clips.

Although the MFT1552 is no longer available the 3 wire leadset (1001-991) for the MFT1700 will suit the unit. This has improved croc clips and probes tips

Regards

Megger Technical Support

Thanks (and nice to know you are keeping an eye on the views of those in the trade!)
 22 November 2012 03:07 PM

John Peckham

Weirdbeard

The fused probes usually come with 500mA fuses for use with multimeters etc. If you are doing high current loop testing these fuses will pop so you have to replace them with 10A HRC fuses to withstand the test current of 10-25A.

On your second pedantic point yes. If you think about the Megger 3 lead set terminated in their 3 pole plug have a look at where the 3 leads bunch at the point of entry in to the plug. Where is the most likely point of failure due to flexing and hence conductors shorting together? How useful will the internal fuses be under those fault conditions? Much better to put the fuses in the probes as close to the source of supply as possible, not a perfect safety measure but better than internal fuses.

Zs

Of course you had your insulated probe tips fitted to your probes to comply with GS38? And no doubt you considered Reg 14 of the EAWR to carry out work on live parts when you had an option of dead testing. Fuses or non-fused probes won't help in the case of a probe tip shorting to earth.

Of course I would never contemplate live loop testing on the back of a switched fused connection unit! PeteTLM do mention the indoor firework display at the West London school that occurred on a SFCU whilst I was near it and I won't mention the short circuit test with the trunking lid.

John Peckham

22 November 2012 03:13 PM

OMS

Of course you had your insulated probe tips fitted to your probes to comply with GS38? And no doubt you considered Reg 14 of the EAWR to carry out work on live parts when you had an option of dead testing. Fuses or non-fused probes won't help in the case of a probe tip shorting to earth

LoL - so sayeth the shepherd -

OMS

Failure is always an option
 22 November 2012 06:24 PM

weirdbeard

Weirdbeard

On your second pedantic point yes. If you think about the Megger 3 lead set terminated in their 3 pole plug have a look at where the 3 leads bunch at the point of entry in to the plug. Where is the most likely point of failure due to flexing and hence conductors shorting together? How useful will the internal fuses be under those fault conditions? Much better to put the fuses in the probes as close to the source of supply as possible, not a perfect safety measure but better than internal fuses.

Hi john, thanks for the reply,

sorry I think I misunderstood earlier - I was imagineing someone damaging a test lead by shorting it accidently to any earth, such as snagging it on the sharp edge of a steel enclosure or similar, rather than the fault being only between the test leads themselves.

As I don't have a megger, I can't really comment on whether I think their test leads are more likely to short together where they are bunched up than those of any other maker, but unless I am getting it wrong, it would surely be a fairly unlikely event, two conductors failing due to overflexing failing at the same and also at the same time their insulation fails exposing enough conductor to short together - though I can't work out if such a failure managed to slip by the users visual inspection prior to use, if this fault does happen, what would the fuses in the probes be protecting? the leads or the operator, assuming the meter looks after itself with it's internal fuses the?

Edit: Please disregard the last 'the'
 22 November 2012 06:57 PM

John Peckham

Weirdbeard

A fused probe will give you some protection for a lead connected to a line snagging a sharp edge, an internal fuse in these circumstances will offer no protection to the user. As I said you want the fuse in the probe to be as close to the source as possible for maximum protection for the user. The fuse needs to be an HRC fuse not a standard glass fuse.

John Peckham

Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.