Increase font size
Topic Title: Rubber Matting
Topic Summary:
Created On: 12 October 2017 10:34 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 12 October 2017 10:34 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Richard64

Not been on here in a while.
I've been asked by a customer to provide rubber matting in 3 Switch Rooms on a small estate.
The centre Intake has the supply head (3ph) and distribution gear and each has a Ryefield and Landlords (Single Ph) Consumer Unit.
Are there any regs regarding Voltage Rating and Floor Coverage for the mats?
Thanks in advance.
 12 October 2017 10:45 AM
User is online View Users Profile Print this message

davezawadi

It would seem that the matting is not for electrical insulation, as you have enclosed earthed equipment, and so there is no risk! I suspect that this is from some H&S "guru", so why not ask what specification is required to be "safe". You might mention that any kind of live working should be banned and so the matting is unnecessary. Anyone with the necessary skill to work live will also have all the necessary PPE, again "WHY"?

-------------------------
David
BSc CEng MIET
david@ZawadiSoundAndLighting.co.uk
 12 October 2017 10:52 AM

Richard64

Hi Dave,
I know.
But it's something that a property manager has asked us to provide. Experience tells me not to discuss it with them but just give them what they want. Not an attitude I like to adopt...but...I don't have enough years of life left.
I just want to give them enough to satisfy their H&S guy.
I gave up general electrical work a few years ago, so am probably a bit off the money nowadays.
 12 October 2017 11:56 AM
User is online View Users Profile Print this message

davezawadi

I did suggest him, simply ask what he wants (the H&S guy). This is however an excellent example of the stupid H&S culture of "what if.... 20 unlikely serial events....).
Why not suggest you supply a full set of flash gear, insulating boots of all sizes, insulating gloves of all sizes etc. you never know he may have money to burn., oh and a notice prohibiting live working! You then provide an inspection contract for the kit, and while you are at it the whole installation.

I assume its a public sector client, because that is where the worst examples seem to occur.

David
BSc CEng MIET
david@ZawadiSoundAndLighting.co.uk
 12 October 2017 12:03 PM

potential

Having once worked in an institution where EHT was commonplace and thick rubber mats were everywhere I like the extra bit of safety mats provide.
You can't always work with one hand in your pocket which was also the order of the day.

Edited: 12 October 2017 at 01:06 PM by potential
 12 October 2017 12:21 PM

OlympusMons

B&Q sell this stuff which comes with a certificate which should satisfy H&S. It mentions it must be a minimum size of 900x900mm, although not sure where they got that from.
 12 October 2017 01:30 PM

Richard64

Cheers Dave and Everyone else.
I did raise a question as to what they actually wanted, and got the 'eye rolling errr rubber matting' response.
Clearly it's just a box ticking exercise.
I have heard the 900 x 900 before OM.
Just what voltage rating does it need to be?
I'm guessing if there's 400v present it would need to be 1000v rated. Is that correct?
Phew, lighting is so much easier :-)
 12 October 2017 01:31 PM

Richard64

No, Private Sector, Dave...
Public Sector working is, in truth, so much easier.
 12 October 2017 01:56 PM

ToniSM

I got so fed up with trying to get OCB and ACB trucks out over the matting I chucked it out. Some of the ACB trucks weighed ¾ of a ton, not easy to move at the best of times.

Could there be a better way?

In theory yes, but in practice?
 12 October 2017 05:42 PM

mapj1

In our HV test facility, we have rubber matting with holes in it, for spilt oil/sand etc. (lino or painted concrete are both bad from a slips perspective ) Insulation is nothing more than closed footwear, and a procedure that says you cannot be in the box with power on. I realise its not the same, but it sounds like the sort of mat you put in a car foot well may satisfy the gods.

regards Mike
 12 October 2017 09:41 PM

alancapon

I certainly wouldn't want to rely on rubber matting. You will need to decide on its voltage rating, but the other problem it has is maintenance and testing. At what point is it too dirty to use? How are you going to demonstrate its rating is still ok? It was used a lot before the advent of usable rubber insulating gloves. These days the preference is to stay at earth potential by the use of gloves rather than standing on an insulating mat and accepting you may be energised during you work.

Regards,

Alan.
 12 October 2017 11:42 PM

mapj1

Indeed - the whole thing is more of a sop, but it is still made and sold with a very arbitrary rating.
nominal "26500 volt" rubber mats sold here
Actually when clean and dry, probably good for several times that, and when damp about as much use as a pair of wet socks and no good at all if the live thing are working on has an earthed metal case, as your feet are not essential to the dangerous current path.
More use as if stops you slipping.

regards Mike

Edited: 12 October 2017 at 11:50 PM by mapj1
Statistics

New here?

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2017 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.