IET logo

IET
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Costs for having an isolator fitted by a supplier.
Topic Summary:
Created On: 07 August 2017 05:25 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
1 2 Next Last unread
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 07 August 2017 05:25 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

leckie

This is just a bit of information for anyone looking to change or add a consumer unit.

Now as we are all H&S conscious we never pull main fuses when we fit a new consumer unit. Or buy seals from sealfairy.com. And you don't want to be doing that with smart meters as I understand they are monitored.

What we do is ring up and get the DNO or supplier to either 1) fit an isolator or 2) isolate the supply. forget option 2 because it is a nightmare to organise times for disconnection and reconnection.

But getting an isolator fitted is not as bad as I thought. I'm is the Western Power area and they want just under £200 inc VAT. But the nice person in their office advised me that if I get the customer to contact their supplier it might be cheaper. I've had this done twice last week. British Gas charged about £43 inc VAT; NPower charged nothing! Even £43 isn't too bad, and nothing is also quite reasonable. Both can do the work in about 10 working days.

Anyone know what any of the others charge?
 07 August 2017 06:58 PM

24Hour

As I work mainly work during the day for insurance repairs these have to be done by the book so to speak .
Had a job to Rewire shower and ring circuits and new board , Edf was the supplier .
They cancelled 3 times for a attend and remove supply type job then to reattend at 4pm and restore supply .

Total nightmare , they wouldn't accept a PDF online cert to restore the supply only a paper one ,which given the time frame isn't easily acceviable.

Edf flatly refuse to fit any sort of isolation switch and never have ,
They no longer have any contracting branch now either .

-------------------------
Yes i do do 24/7 everyday of the FLAMIN year.
 07 August 2017 08:08 PM

MWalker86

So noob question here, when they do this do they have to work live?
 07 August 2017 08:13 PM

ashrow

I do not waste my time in trying to book in a isolator fit, been let down so many times.
We are more then skilled to pull a fuse and reseal then the majority of those that fit the meters.
Regarding the smart meters, the way that some do not sync when they fit the meters and the revisits that are needed to get them working correctly i would not worry about the 10 mins the fuse is pulled to fit a isolator yourself.
 07 August 2017 09:51 PM

leckie

Well I just let the clients phone up to book the fitting of the isolater and tell me when it's done. The first one is already done BG, the next one is due next week.

If there is a smart meter fitted I don't see why I should take the risk of prosecution if they can trace an unauthorised disconnection. I wouldn't bother arranging to be on site for a disconnection and a reconnection later on, that's doomed to be a complete pain in the art.
 07 August 2017 10:17 PM

Ampman

Smart meters ,

What do the smart meter companies do when the grid has a power down

Check every property for any new consumer units

I just pull fuse & carry on
 07 August 2017 10:30 PM

leckie

Hmm, I was told that there is some sort of monitoring. So, is that true? Would the supplier know if a fuse had been pulled?

I'll hang on to my fairy seal set for the time being!
 07 August 2017 11:40 PM

whjohnson

£160 to fit a ten quid isolator - that's what Western Power quoted 2 weeks ago when they cam to fit a smart meter.
Customer naturally declined.

Central Networks used to do it for free, rather than be tied up to endless appointments just to isolate and reseal.

As for smart meters? Pah! They ain't so smart.

Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
 08 August 2017 07:21 AM

AJJewsbury

What we do is ring up and get the DNO or supplier to either 1) fit an isolator or 2) isolate the supply. forget option 2 because it is a nightmare to organise times for disconnection and reconnection.

Or option 3, fit your own isolator and then get the supplier to connect it in - at least you only need one appt. then.

- Andy.
 08 August 2017 09:15 AM

CMK3PD

The fact my BG fitted smart meter can't talk to my current supplier (Eon) I would be very surprised if they knew the fuses had been pulled
 08 August 2017 09:19 AM

leckie

Originally posted by: whjohnson

£160 to fit a ten quid isolator - that's what Western Power quoted 2 weeks ago when they cam to fit a smart meter.

Customer naturally declined.

Central Networks used to do it for free, rather than be tied up to endless appointments just to isolate and reseal.

As for smart meters? Pah! They ain't so smart.

Well that was the point of my post, Western Power want £160 plus VAT but the supplier will want nothing or about £45 - well the two I have asked anyway.
 08 August 2017 09:22 AM

alancapon

Originally posted by: Ampman
. . . What do the smart meter companies do when the grid has a power down . . . Check every property for any new consumer units . . .

It is not necessary. It is fairly easy to write a bit of code to mark single property supply failures and not mark multiple failures from meter in adjacent properties. A single meter that loses its supply for a few minutes or more is a fair bet that tampering with the metering has been going on. The smart meter program also provides an effective method of setting a baseline that authentic seals have been used on every single meter and cutout in the U.K.

Regards,

Alan.
 08 August 2017 01:30 PM

broadgage

Originally posted by: leckie
Hmm, I was told that there is some sort of monitoring. So, is that true? Would the supplier know if a fuse had been pulled?
I'll hang on to my fairy seal set for the time being!

With a smart meter, yes they do monitor for any loss of supply as might be caused by unauthorised removal of the cut out fuse.
It remains to be seen how reliable and effective this monitoring is.
I suspect not very effective, but would not care to take the risk.

The last smart meter that I saw had a single pole Henley block in the phase conductor. I wonder why
 10 August 2017 10:39 PM

Ruddy

i had this recently western power want £200 plus vat so i requested temp isolation they came pulled cut out took 30 secs invoice £73 i fitted REC2 £14 . Eon dont charge generally the supplier will do the job far cheaper than the DNO
 13 August 2017 12:55 PM

whjohnson

The thing is, they only give you a 4 hour window for a isolation/reseal appointment. That means you have 4 hours labour to charge for just sitting in the van waiting for them to turn up, in addition to their 'fee'.

It wouldn't have been a great stretch to fit an isolator by default every time a meter is changed for whatever reason.

Then of course, we have the other elephant in the room, which is that the plastic isolators supposedly do not comply with AMD 3, which is why my wholesaler has said he has ceased stocking them. Lads have been coming in saying that their scam providers have informed them that they must no longer fit plastic isolators due to non-compliance.

It's all getting rather silly, as these things are oft to do when more than one person gets involved in the regulations.

As Churchill once said "Give me a committee of one and I'll get things done."

Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
 13 August 2017 01:27 PM

leckie

Well that's you you get the supplier to fit it for you. It's their kit then.

My point in the post was to let people know that you can ask either the DNO or the clients supplier to fit an isolator. And in both instances where I have done this the supplier was a lot cheaper or free, and they turned up as arranged. So you can get them to go before you go and it's all sorted. You have to get the client to arrange it though if you want to get their supplier to do it, they will only speak to to the client not the electrical contractor - even better!
 13 August 2017 03:56 PM

gel

The contacts list fyi:
http://www2.nationalgrid.com/U...rk-Operator-Companies/

Gel__Big Brother is here
 13 August 2017 08:30 PM

leckie

Yes thanks Gel, but my point s that the clients electricity supplier will probably be cheaper than the DNO, or free. A list of the suppliers would actually be more useful.
 13 August 2017 09:19 PM

mapj1

A list of suppliers from Airtricity to Zog Energy
(yep, really, I kid you not) and clickable links to a page about each one.

Note that some of them are regional, others are national in reach.
When looking at the phone nos in the linked page, you need the 'customer support' which is the supplier number not 'contact which switch' which is the supplier switching service

regards Mike
 13 August 2017 10:30 PM

typiod

I'm with Avro and they are not on that list as are severel others, Avro charge £60 for an isolator.
Statistics

New here?

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2017 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.