IET logo

IET
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Letter to send out for EICRs
Topic Summary: Anyone got/ do you send a letter?
Created On: 17 July 2017 10:56 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 17 July 2017 10:56 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

NE1

Hello all,
I've started doing a lot of EICRs for a client who has a great many flats. The problem I'm facing is the agents are only sending out a letter that an electrician is coming out. A few people I turn up to are not realising I'm going to be there for 3-4hrs and are getting a bit peeved, so I wanted to send or get the Agents to send a cover letter explaining what is about to go down.
Does anyone know where I can get a template letter from? Realizing I'm being a bit lazy but anyone here have to do this too?
 17 July 2017 11:38 AM

joebenny87

Hi,

When i was doing it there were many things i wished the contractor would put be on the letter!

Explain you will be carrying out a EICR ( for your time given duration), which consists of visual inspections, sampling and testing to see if the electrical installation is in satisfactory condition for continued service.
Give a warning that it is highly likely you will have to isolate the installation for approx 30 mins - 1 hour.

Consumer unit should be clear and any cupboards free of clutter.
Locations of water and gas incoming services to be known
(if possible) and again any cupboards free of clutter.

All socket outlets should be accessible as practically as possible.

Any pets should ideally be removed from the property or contained somewhere, small children also should be contained.

Hope this helps!
 17 July 2017 11:57 AM

Fm

Pretty sure locking children away is frowned upon these days.
 17 July 2017 12:08 PM

alancapon

Originally posted by: Fm

Maybe not as much as IR testing them!

Regards,

Alan.
 17 July 2017 12:26 PM

OMS

Originally posted by: Fm

I thought the opposite was the case, actually - seems to me that kids today are more controlled and supervised (ie effectively locked away) than ever

I saw a study recently, looking at a group of kids and how aware they were of what's around them (park, shops, friends houses etc) based on distances from their front gate and their ages

Quite frightening really when you look at long terms trends and compare that with crime statistics

Wrapping the "precious bundle" in cotton wool until age 27 really is creating "Generation Snowflake"

Right, I'm off back to my safe space

regards

OMS

-------------------------
Let the wind blow you, across a big floor.
 17 July 2017 01:06 PM

Fm

Well we are away to get the axe out and cut some kindling- winter preps.
I have band aids somhioefully the 2 kids will be ok
Mine will never be generation snowflake!
 17 July 2017 01:21 PM

OMS

Old Skool

Cutting sticks for our, and elderly neighbours, coal fires was a task of mine from an early age

We had a hatchet that I suspect came out of a support company pioneer kit - it was proper sharp once my old man had given it some attention with a file - it would have taken more than a band aid had it all gone a bit "Pete Tong" but I still have all my fingers and thumbs (along with a few scars)

I'm still using that hatchet cutting sticks for my woodburner several decades later !!

OMS

17 July 2017 02:25 PM

mapj1

No letter I'm afraid, but I fully agree - a proper warning is needed, and only fair to all sides to know what is coming.

As regards teaching kids to set fire to things/each other and generally help them to work out that the ticklish lumps at the legs ends are their own two feet, and these made for for standing on I can happily state that its not all youngsters that will freeze without electricity or starve to death if the shops shut. (as a scout leader among other things I do occasionally get to drop youngsters in the middle of nowhere with a compass and kit for the next 48 hours and it can be fun/scary/ very pleasing see where they end up)
But I broadly agree, far too many are very brittle, in that they go to pieces if the comfy support is not there. In a funny kind of way the skills have separated out - there are a core folk who do lots of all sorts of stuff, as it is the same people each time, doing both the fire lighting and the camping and the fishing and tree climbing and so forth, and others who sadly have all the dynamism and imagination of a wet cloth and seem to struggle to open a tin of corned beef if the key has broken, and seem to need a safety case for pouring lemonade into a glass. God forbid they run out of loo roll - after all what else are back issues of the Daily Mail for. That and fire lighting.

regards Mike
 17 July 2017 02:54 PM

OMS

More power to your elbow Mike

I'd make it compulsory to attend some form of outdoor activity, youth social help activity or similar

We could call it a youth movement, with flags and uniforms and drums and everything - how about the British Youth ..................................ohhh, hang on a minute

More seriously, I do think we are failing a generation (and perhaps more than one) if we continue to postulate that we can eliminate all risk and everyone will be safe 'cos Mutti says so

It's the next iteration of all must take part and all must win a prize - and we do young people a disservice by not preparing them for reality

OMS

17 July 2017 07:34 PM

Zs

NE1. there isn't a template letter as far as I know so you are going to have to write it.

My preamble states what I am going to do in terms of testing but not how long I am going to be there because that can change. I will normally have issued that in my own time, before the purchase order lands. Albeit I only use it if I have to and albeit I am usually dealing with the landlord areas of tower blocks and City apartments, not the flats themselves.

I think what you are proposing is good. If the tenants are there to let you in for ten minutes then it is going to annoy them when you are still there after ten, so you setting something more informative up is only going to be good.

Maybe just something that says you are going to be switching off the supply and running detailed/thorough tests and that it may take up to half a day?

Or maybe a longer letter to the owners/managers of the property and you requesting a confirmation of sight of that from them prior to starting work?

Careful not to scare them off though or they will get a 5 minute drive by inspector to do the job using google earth for them.

Zs
 18 July 2017 01:43 AM

Jaymack

Originally posted by: NE1
Does anyone know where I can get a template letter from?

This is the substance of a quote which I have ofttimes doctored for use; there are changes required however, e.g. withdrawing the supplier's fuse, now taboo: -

"No rectification work is carried out during an Electrical Installation Condition Report; this is a report only, on the fixed wiring of the electrical installation; and whether it is safe for continued use, to the requirements of the current edition of BS 7671.

The inspection and testing of Security Alarms, Fire and Smoke Alarms, Fire Extinguishers, Emergency Lighting and Portable Appliances is not included, these can be quoted for separately, if applicable.

This quotation is valid for 28 days from the date of issue.

Acceptance of the quotation shall be carried out by signature of the person/s requesting the work and the authorised signature of the contractor.

The report will only be issued after payment is received by the contractor.

At the quotation time, estimated dates for starting and finishing the work shall be agreed with the customer.

Unfortunately, due to the nature of this electrical inspection and testing on the whole installation, there will be periods of power interruption for lengthy periods, i.e. for the supplier's intake fuses, main switchgear, distribution boards and circuits for lighting and power. This interruption is unavoidable, but a programme will be agreed for working periods over several days if necessary, in order to minimise inconvenience.

Cables concealed within trunking, conduits, under floors, in loft areas beyond the access hatch, under insulation, within the fabric of the building or in trenches etc.; will not be inspected, unless specifically agreed beforehand, between the customer and the contractor.

Unimpeded access to all areas of work is required at all times; this includes the main distribution board, all rooms or garages where applicable. Any waiting time or aborted visits will be charged at the standard rates.

No lifting of heavy furniture, fitted carpets or the movement of fragile or expensive items such as furniture, artefacts and soft furnishings will be carried out. Fitted carpets require the services of a qualified carpet fitter.

The quotation is based upon access being made available during normal weekly hours, unless otherwise agreed. The contractor shall not be liable for delays outside his control.

Digital photographs may be taken of the installation, for the purposes of the estimate and during the progress of the work for record purposes. The customer's agreement is required to this.

It will be necessary to remove the supplier's main fuse and switch off electrical circuits for testing purposes; the property will have no electrical power during these periods.

The contractor will not be held responsible for the inconvenience of resetting clocks, including those on electronic equipment, and loss of data due to power interruption; or other consequential loss such as loss of business or/and the contents of freezers or refrigerators.

The customer is required to arrange for any security alarm codes and the procedures for resetting the same, in the event of the loss of mains power (the system may go into an alarm condition, dependent on the condition of the battery).

Fire and/or Smoke Alarms may go into an alarm condition on loss of power.

Computers, Telephones and Fax Machines with no battery backup and requiring mains power, will not be available during power interruptions.

As this is a working environment under the Health and Safety Act, unreasonable temperatures, excessive noise, children, animals, infirm persons or other nuisances require to be controlled.

Please notify the contractor, of any person on the premises with colds, influenza or infectious diseases; we reserve the right to make alternative arrangements in such cases.

In the event of the customer not being in attendance of the premises during periods of work, contact telephone numbers are required".

Regards
 09 October 2017 09:58 PM

NE1

Sorry, ok know it's a bit late but thank you for your replies.
 10 October 2017 06:01 AM

leckie

Some very good points in there Jaymack. In fact, a cracking read, a mini novel!
Statistics

New here?

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2017 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.