Increase font size
Topic Title: No coal generation
Topic Summary: 1st day with no coal generation
Created On: 21 April 2017 07:01 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 21 April 2017 07:01 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

davidwalker2

It looks as though today will be the first day that there has been no coal generation on the National Grid. It seems that the last station was switched off at 11 pm yesterday.
http://www.gridwatch.templar.co.uk/

David
 22 April 2017 11:49 PM

broadgage

I rather doubt the accuracy of this report.

It is beyond reasonable doubt that no coal was burnt in a grid connected power station for over 24 hours.

However I am almost certain that this is NOT a first, last summer there were several days including full days of 24 hours, in which no coal was burnt.
Indeed it was discussed on this very forum, a respected member observed it and enquired if this was a "first" and I replied "not quite it first happened a few days ago" (not a few days ago from today, but a few days before the post enquiring if it was a first")

Perhaps someone could locate the thread ?
 22 April 2017 11:52 PM

broadgage

And BTW, I don't think that the "switching off at 11pm" was permanent !
I expect some coal burning this autumn and winter, though much reduced if compared to previous years.
 22 April 2017 11:59 PM

Fm

23 April 2017 12:51 AM

mapj1

That thread last year when coal fell to 0% was
coal contributing 0%

-------------------------
regards Mike
 23 April 2017 07:44 AM

ebee

I blame it on the Green Party

Regards,
Ebee (M I S P N)

Knotted cables cause Lumpy Lektrik
 23 April 2017 09:16 AM

kellyselectric

The greens and all the other echo nuts. They are all idiots grrr don't get me started
 23 April 2017 09:16 AM

kellyselectric

The greens and all the other echo nuts. They are all idiots grrr don't get me started
 23 April 2017 09:29 AM
User is online View Users Profile Print this message

keylevel

Originally posted by: broadgage

I rather doubt the accuracy of this report.

It is beyond reasonable doubt that no coal was burnt in a grid connected power station for over 24 hours.

However I am almost certain that this is NOT a first, last summer there were several days including full days of 24 hours, in which no coal was burnt.

Indeed it was discussed on this very forum, a respected member observed it and enquired if this was a "first" and I replied "not quite it first happened a few days ago" (not a few days ago from today, but a few days before the post enquiring if it was a first")

Perhaps someone could locate the thread ?

I think that previously the output may have been zero, but not for a whole day / 24 hour period. The report also only covers metered generation, but is there any private coal?
 23 April 2017 10:38 AM

AJJewsbury

"Britain's longest continuous energy period without coal until now was 19 hours - first achieved last May, and again on Thursday." - according to the BBC - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-39675418
- Andy.
 23 April 2017 10:58 AM

davezawadi

Of course this report is rubbish. It may be that no output was from coal stations, but it was still hot and running as normal, just waiting for the wind etc. to stop. It would be interesting to see the rotating reserve as well as the actual outputs! It takes at least 24 hours to start a large coal station from cold, so no coal for short periods is simply not possible.

David
BSc CEng MIET
david@ZawadiSoundAndLighting.co.uk
 23 April 2017 12:20 PM

broadgage

When coal is shown as zero, AFAIK coal burning plant is normally fully shut down, i.e. "cold and dark" and not held in hot standby or spinning reserve state.

Under present day conditions, the very short term reserve for second by second use as demand alters is normally partly loaded gas turbine plant that is operated in "frequency sensitive mode" whereby output is automatically increased or decreased in response to frequency changes. Hydro electric plant can also respond within seconds to changes in demand.

In the longer term of a few minutes up to a few hours, increases in load are catered for by instructing more gas turbine plant to generate, run up times vary from minutes to a few hours.
 23 April 2017 05:08 PM

iie63674

I see that the biomass-burning power stations are running flat out though. These are mostly converted coal-fired stations.
 23 April 2017 06:27 PM
User is online View Users Profile Print this message

keylevel

Yes, but they're "carbon neutral"... if you ignore transportation of the fuel round the world, etc.
 23 April 2017 07:06 PM

iie63674

Yes, if...
Statistics

New here?

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2017 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.