Increase font size
Topic Title: HND vs Foundation Degree - Electrical / Electronic Engineering
Topic Summary:
Created On: 15 May 2013 05:47 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 15 May 2013 05:47 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

wevest

Hello,

I'm currently an Approved Electrician but would like to head into the world of engineering/

I've been looking at which course to study and had decided that a full-time HND in Electrical & Electronic Engineering over 2 years sounded like the best option. However, I just discovered foundation Degrees and I'm a little confused.

After speaking to colleges/uni's, they've advised me that the two courses are essentially the same thing, just under a different name. But 2 years is a lot of time (and money) to invest and I want to be sure that I'm going for the correct course.

Can anybody shed a little more light on the subject? Are foundation degrees recognized, accepted and sought after by industry? More so than HND's? Which will make me more employable once I've finished?

Thanks in advance,
Sam
 17 May 2013 06:49 PM

Zuiko

I think the advice of the college is about right - there is not much difference between a HND and a foundation degree.

I would advise you look into to the course content and see what suits you and your career plans. You might decide to top up your qualification to a BEng(hons) and the credit transfer you get will depend on what you have previously studied. Foundation degrees that are aligned with a corresponding BEng are 2/3rds of the degree.
 24 May 2013 02:21 PM

j13enson

I did an FD after completing my ND, I was told by my college it was just a relabelling of the same course with some slight alterations to the structure and the introduction of what were called 'work based learning' modules, while still including all the HND learning material. So FD is the new and HND is the old and we are currently in the transition period between the two where both are accepted to be equal but do have some small differences.

I did struggle to find a BEng course that would take me on for a 1 year top up, with most top up courses offering a Bsc, which isn't as desirable. I ended up entering a BEng course in the second year. But things may have changed slightly since then, it was 4 years ago and things might have moved on a bit.

Be warned if an institution's course has not earned degree status. I was told when I started my FD that by the time I finished the course would have achieved degree status and I could complete my degree there. This ended up not being the case and I had to venture elsewhere to top up my degree. I would say go for an FD though since it represents the future, unfortunately my experience of the FD wasn't great but It was more down to my college being useless and in a transition period, be warned some colleges may just tell you what you want to hear to get you enrolled..
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.