Topic Title: HNC engineering COLU
Topic Summary: exchange ideas
Created On: 18 August 2007 04:54 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next Last unread
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 18 August 2007 04:54 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

philo1977

Anyone want to exchange a few ideas regarding engineering HNC at COLU?? I ahve passed 6 units so far but I am a bit stuck on the programmable controllers unit!

Regards
Phil
 21 September 2007 11:48 AM

dazf18

philo977 i'm new to this forum business, but i have just started an HNC elec eng and currently struggling with eng science assignment 3 DC circuits. I have previously completed a PLC course depending on what you stuck on we could help each other.
 26 September 2007 10:59 AM

cardy2

Anybody,
Have seen that a lot of people are working towards a hnc, i am currently studying with colu(electrical/electronic) but am finding it hard going.Any help would be much appreciated.
cardy
 10 October 2007 09:08 PM

westonpa

I recently completed two HNC's with COLU (mech and elec) and found the TMA's a challenge because the learning material does not always cover the style and content of some of the TMA questions. The COLU tutors know where these areas are because many students send in their TMA's with similar errors and in similar places. Initially I was reluctant to ask the online tutors (Derek and Jim) for assistance in areas I did not quite understand. Once I plucked up the courage to contact the tutors for help (as they explained we pay for it with the unit costs) I found their help and guidance really good and it made things a little easier. In addition to that I trawled the internet for relevant information (there is some good stuff out there once you get used to finding it) and then found a good library with plenty of good engineering books (university libraries are excellent if you can gain access to them). The end of unit interviews by phone or webcam were a bit nervy but I always revised the relevant unit, and my marked TMA's, before the interview. Hope that helps a bit.
 19 October 2007 07:33 PM

Gary6571

I am working on my HNC through COLU just now, still on the 1st unit Engineering Science but have sucessfuly completed the first 2 TMAs, 3rd TMA (DC Circuits) was a bit of a struggle but got there in the end, just starting the 4th TMA AC circuits which first 3 questions I've managed ok. Have to agree that the course work doesn't always cover what you are asked in the TMA (found this to be especially true with TMA 3!) but since swallowing my pride a little and contacting the tutors (Derek and Jim) have found their help fantastic.
Any help I can give anyone let me know, I'll probably ask for your help also!!
 15 January 2008 12:02 PM

drewvoid

I have recently started my HNC at colu too. I found the first assignment ok but i do have doubts about some of the questions not shown in example for in the self study books.

I dont know whether they expect you to find it out for yourself, or, whether they want you to come to them so you do interact with the tutors.

Did anyone find the ENS 2 abit puzzling at first?
 15 January 2008 01:22 PM

westonpa

drewvoid, you are correct in that some questions are not fully covered by the stuff in the self study books. Part of your unit fee is for tuition and the tutors will have no problem with you contacting them for further guidance. Derek and Jim were the online tutors when I studied with COLU and they always gave good help when I needed it. In addition to this take a look at the Edexcel higher units at http://www.freestudy.co.uk/ as you may find some stuff that provides some additional information for other areas of your study. Regards.
 28 January 2008 06:40 PM

mikey2000

Hi anyone doing the electrical plant: machines unit? Any one want to exchange ideas also on the project?

Cheers

Mike
 28 January 2008 06:46 PM

mikey2000

Originally posted by: mikey2000

Hi anyone doing the electrical plant: machines unit? Any one want to exchange ideas also on the project?
email - surv@sky.com

Cheers

Mike
 28 January 2008 10:06 PM

swayzeee

Hi I have been working on the COLU electrical and electronic engineering HNC having transferred from another college after they stopped running it when i had completed 5 of the 10 units! I have found the course files quite good but some of the TMA's seem to be covering areas that weren't fully covered in the course books. I am currently working through the engineering science TMA's. Just started TMA 3, but I'm having a struggle with it. Would be interested to hear if anyone else is working on it, or needs some help with the earlier units.
 30 January 2008 10:29 AM

Lee51

Hi
sawyzee

I am also part way through my HNC, and have found the materials very good so far,

Feel free to email on
funkyfriends@waydownwest.freeserve.co.uk

Rgds

Lee
 13 March 2008 10:16 PM

drewvoid

hi
can someone help me

im stuck on tma 3 electrical/electronic on the calculating the thickness of plates and thickness of dielectric

i will help you out with what i can in return
Andrew
 14 March 2008 06:00 AM

glenc79

Hi drewvoid, I'll be happy to pass on what I've got for TMA 3 so far although I've had to seek clarification from the tutor (which I'm currently waiting on). I've got answers at home for the capacitor question which I'm fairly confident are right.
It would be handy to have someone to compare answers with during the course so, if you want to do that, it would be good.
 26 March 2008 08:50 AM

drewvoid

Alrite glenc79
my email address is drewvoid@hotmail.com
ill talk to you through there if you like?
yeah it would be good to confer with someone before sending assignments to COLU
cheers mate
 02 April 2008 04:30 PM

controlsparky

I completed the COLU HNC electrical engineering course in 2005, if anyone wants any info let me know and i'll dig some stuff out.

cheers
sparky
 03 April 2008 01:36 PM

submar1ney

Hi. I've currently done 3 module towards the COLU Multi Disciplinary HNC..... MATHS, ELEC Principles and MECH Principles. I'm running out of time to complete so looking for advice about fairly straight forward and quick modules to do to enable me to get a HNC.

Any advice welcome

Thank you

Ian
 05 April 2008 05:06 PM

drewvoid

alrite controlsparky
yes i would be grateful if you could do that
my email is
drewvoid@hotmail.com
cheers
 07 April 2008 11:52 AM

Lee51

Hi ian

I am currently progressing quite well with my COLU HNC, feel free to email me on

Rgds - Lee
 07 April 2008 11:56 AM

Lee51

Hi Control Sparky

Can you email on,

Rgds Lee
 07 April 2008 04:01 PM

controlsparky

HI Lads

let me know what you need and i'll try and dig it out, i work away from home, so don't expect a quick response, but i'll do what i can.

cheers
IET » Student and apprentice discussion forum » HNC engineering COLU

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.