Increase font size
Topic Title: IEng Registration
Topic Summary:
Created On: 14 March 2014 07:59 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 14 March 2014 07:59 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

g7jwr

Below is an email sent to the IET but have not replied with any answers or clarification

Good Morning,
I wonder you can help me please, I a registered EngTech and wish to progress to IEng, I have been using the career manager and paid a visit to an IET PRA.
The pra did have some good points which I took on-board, however towards the end of the visit he recommended that I needed to enrol into a foundation degree followed by a BA which is completely different from my understanding of the routes to IEng. At the end of the visit with pra I wondered if in fact it was even worth per suing the IEng or just forgetting it completely.
I have since spoken with other IEng who do not hold a foundation degree or a Bachelor's degree and they suggested I contacted the IET for clarification.
I do hold the following:
City and Guilds LCGI Engineering
City and Guilds LCGI Process
City and Guilds Full Technological Certificate
ECITB NVQ Level three Engineering
City and Guilds Motor Craft 1
City and Guilds Motor Craft 2
National Coal Board Apprentice Papers
Plus many more training certificates, I have over thirty years of experience in engineering including owning my own workshop, I am currently applying for work visa for the USA so I have had my experience and qualifications evaluated in America with the outcome that they say I have an equivalent to a Bachelor of Science Degree in Engineering and Technology issued by a USA regional college.
The City and Guilds Listing the LCGI and FTC see below
City & Guilds = Licentiateship (LCGI), Higher Professional Diploma, SVQ/NVQ level 4, Level 4 vocational awards
Academic = Undergraduate
Other = Full technical certificate, BTEC HND/HNC
http://www.cityandguilds.com/c...ification-comparisons
My main question is do I have enough qualifications to apply for the IEng via the IET or am I wasting my time.
Kind Regards
Martin
 16 March 2014 06:11 PM

scottseedell

You do not need a degree to qualify for IEng, that is bad advice. It is certainly better (and easier) if you had an accredited bachelor degree but it is not a prerequisite nowadays. There is a different route for those without a direct qualifying degree and I believe it involves writing a significant technical report to demonstrate required achievements. Although I firmly believe that for the IEng to retain value over time it should merit an accredited degree, I would look into the technical report route if achieving such a degree is not possible.

Maybe you confused the pra's advice? There is no way that he should be telling you a bachelor degree is required for IEng and he would know this process inside-out. Maybe he was just giving you general advice on how best to progress your career?

-------------------------
Scott Seedell - BSc(Hons) IEng MIET
 17 March 2014 09:04 AM

Parsley

Martin

You don't need a hons degree but the application process will probably be harder. Unfortunately I was given similar advise a few years ago. My IET mentor encouraged me to ignore the PRA's negativity and continue with my application via the professional/technical report route. If you can demonstrate that you work at IEng level and meet the competences you should be encouraged to apply. A degree is definitely worth considering. IEng isn't really understood by HR depts/recruiters and the revised UK SPEC will also lower its future value.

Regards
 17 March 2014 09:50 AM

roybowdler

I picked up a copy of UK-SPEC and looked at the IEng section it takes up 8 pages. 1 of these pages sets out the exemplifying (ie ideal benchmark) qualifications and describes a range of quite flexible alternative ways to demonstrate suitable knowledge including "work based or experiential learning".
6 pages describe the competences expected of an Incorporated Engineer.

If you can provide evidence of recent career achievement that illustrates the competence examples in the column headed "guidance", then you have a case for IEng. The IET will only ask additional questions or seek additional evidence such as a report (or work sample) if your achievements and qualifications don't obviously meet the standard. The success rate in IEng applications for people with an good Apprenticeship and substantial experience, working as a responsible engineer with some management content is very high.

The PRA advice as described seems a little dated, but may have been based on some knowledge from person contact that I don't have. However, given the extent of the professional experience, suggesting a course of study such as a foundation degree doesn't seem like the best choice. Please seek up to date PRA advice and make an application, if you feel that you can illustrate the competences.

-------------------------
Roy Bowdler IEng FIET FCIPD
IET Registration & Standards

Edited: 19 March 2014 at 08:02 AM by roybowdler
 17 March 2014 05:33 PM

davidwalker2

Part of the requirement for registration is that you demonstrate that you have the necessary underpinning knowledge and understanding to comprehend why you do what you do. The easy way to demonstrate this is to have a degree, but the IET have an excellent scheme to evaluate learning by virtue of your experience.
So the best advice is to submit an application form. This will be looked at to see if it appears that you have built up the necessary knowledge and understanding. It may be sufficient in its own right, or you may be asked for some expansion of specific competence areas or possibly a technical paper or report about a project you have completed.
It is not as daunting as it might seem, and you will be helped with advice all along the way. Good luck with your application.
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.