Increase font size
Topic Title: CEng with the IET?
Topic Summary:
Created On: 14 January 2014 02:58 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 14 January 2014 02:58 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

PAJG

I was wondering if anyone can help.

I'm trying to get a definitive interpretation of the UK-Spec and if it applies to me.

I have graduated with a BEng in Mechanical Engineer and have taken up a role as a Quality Engineer. As my role is mainly in the area of quality assurance I am wondering if it is possible for me to achieve CEng status with the IET.

I know that the CQI is open to me but given that my background is in Mechanical I don't want to close that door on myself just yet. Any advise would be appreciated.
 14 January 2014 08:49 PM

simonjbartlett65

I started off as a Quality Engineer for a good few years before moving into Production Engineering (before the fancy Manufacturing Engineering title came about).

All my Quality Assurance Training and experience counted towards CEng without any issue at all. In fact, the training element of my application was solely done during my Quality Engineer career.

-------------------------
BEng (Hons) CEng MIET
 23 January 2014 11:06 AM

faramog

Only issue (aside from fulfilling key CEng requirements [think being innovative and creative] is education relevance. The starting point is degree followed by a period of work learning/experience/development FOLLOWING on from your degree. If you work in a different engineering field to your primary degree, then that period of work based learning/development/application will end up being somewhat longer.

No reason you cannot make it, but the time period will depend on how much of your Mechanical degree is applicable to the QA role in the crudest sense.

-------------------------
Eur Ing Graham Prebble CEng MIEE
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.