IET
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: CEng application feedback - Help?
Topic Summary:
Created On: 29 December 2013 05:56 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 29 December 2013 05:56 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Avatar for Munsterrfc                                        .
Munsterrfc

I have prepared my application which I am planning on forwarding to the IET shortly. I would be very grateful for some feedback on my Career History section. I do have a mentor who has been very helpful but would like some feedback for a neutral picking up my application and reading it for the 1st time.

Anyone willing to help?

Michael.
 30 December 2013 08:15 AM

roykstones

Michael, Have you considered requesting a PRA which you can obtain via the IET website? These are trained volunteers who can help you with your application. Otherwise forum opinion can be rather subjective and not necessarily the best advice for you.
Good luck with your application.

Regards
Roy K Stones CEng MIET
 30 December 2013 03:47 PM

Munsterrfc

Hi Roy,

I have done and he has helped a lot. I was just finalizing my application and was wondering if someone would be interested in reading what I have done as if they were the examiner! An example of what I have in the career section is:

My role as an electrical engineer within the Ex Solutions consultancy team is to provide a Hazardous area solution for a piece of equipment as required by a customer for such an environment. Examples of such solutions I have designed are a range of Ex d Starter Motors, a Guarded PV-101 engine display unit, an 80kVA Alternators for a generator set and an ATEX certified engine control harnesses for a John Deere engine.

I work with the marketing group closely. When they require a solution it is my task to come up with this solution. Two such examples of this are the Ex d starter motors and the 80kVA Alternator.
(IET Competence - B1)

Alternatively when I was developing a set solution, for example the PV101 engine display I saw an opportunity to develop the product further in the market. This allowed the Company to get a bigger slice of the market for the particular solution offered.

When the sales team have an opportunity to tender for a project they come to me for a solution. I look at the product on offer and discuss the possible solutions I believe are possible. I present my business case to my manager and the sales department detailing the benefits of taking on such a project. I presented the expected costs involved as well as the timescale needed to complete the task. Planning effectively and communicating at all points is a must as the time scales allowed for these projects is tight.
(IET Competence - D2)

Many of my projects involving carrying out a lot of research, arranging site visits to the supplier in order to understand the processes and limitations of what modifications I could and could not do.
I liaise with the Marketing Group to understand what our competitor is offering with respect to a solution.
I draft the specifications that are deemed necessary for the project and identify potential departments with particular skills that will be required to develop the product in a timely manner.
A good synergy among all parties helps the project advance smoothly.
(IET Competence - A1, A2, B2)

This isn't everything I have done on this particular role but an idea of what I was proposing on writing.

Regards,

Michael.
 31 December 2013 03:08 PM

dlane

I agree with what Roy has said. The IET offer both a mentor service and PRAs.

Whilst a mentor may be able to offer some advice they are not specifically trained for professional registration, so the best situation is a PRA from your local area or one assigned to you by the IET.

You also need to be aware that you do not have to be a member of the IET to be on these forums, so I would be cautious about how you contact people on here. There are some PRAs who use these forums and it is obvious that they are registered with the IET and I presume that could be confirmed by the IET if you contacted them.

Having made the above comments, one thing that did jump out at me where an improvement could be made is by quantifying elements when you can. The prime example of that is where you said you have developed the PV101 engine display. State what the investment cost, what the return was and what the actual resultant increase in market share was. e.g.

I was responsible for the development of the existing PV101 engine display working to an investment budget of £10,000. The resulting product improvement increased sales of the units by 25% and gave our company a 15% increase market share for that product line and an initial return on the investment of 7% over 3 years.

When you have your interview it will be easy to take along some summary graphs detailing the increase in sales and the returns etc that will tie in nicely with your application.

You don't need to over do this, just a few examples that help the assessors quantify the impact that your work has had.

There are also plenty of other questions and feedback regarding registration throughout this topic so spend a while reading through them and taking on board the comments, then translate them back into your application.

Good luck with your application.

Kind regards

Donald Lane
 01 January 2014 01:31 AM

Munsterrfc

Dlane. .. Thank you.

I didn't do a cost break down of the projects I have been working on. I will look at adding that to my application.

BTW Happy New Year to all.
 06 January 2014 01:38 PM

faramog

Not sure why your PRA can't do this for you, but if you want a fresh pair of eyes then happy to help .. just email me a pdf and I will give you some feedback. You can find me on the PRA pages

http://www.theiet.org/membersh...find-advisor/index.cfm and put a postcode of "CV8" ... you will see me there

-------------------------
Eur Ing Graham Prebble CEng MIEE
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.