Increase font size
Topic Title: Cancelling membership
Topic Summary:
Created On: 20 December 2013 10:25 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 20 December 2013 10:25 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

marshr02

After about 20 years of membership, I have decided not to renew this year. The fees of circa £200 are now TOO much. My employer has never paid these for me, and never valued my CEng. To be honest I love engineering, and wider science subjects, and would be happy to stay a member as a 'hobby' but clearly these fees are way off reality. I feel like a sucker for not leaving several years ago. Since indicating my desire to leave, I've not really had anyone at the IET properly engage with me, asking why - hence this post.

-------------------------
marshr02
 20 December 2013 03:43 PM

danielscott

Originally posted by: marshr02

After about 20 years of membership, I have decided not to renew this year. The fees of circa £200 are now TOO much. My employer has never paid these for me, and never valued my CEng. To be honest I love engineering, and wider science subjects, and would be happy to stay a member as a 'hobby' but clearly these fees are way off reality. I feel like a sucker for not leaving several years ago. Since indicating my desire to leave, I've not really had anyone at the IET properly engage with me, asking why - hence this post.

I will be 70 years of age in January and although I was only required to pay 50% of the required membership fee for IEng + the EC fee, I did this for a couple of years after retirement, but finally decided 2 years ago this coming April, not to renew. The fees do keep going up, even for the retired members, which I believe is wrong as I did pay for my own fees.

You mentioned that you have not heared from the IET asking your reasons for not renewing and funny enough neither have I , but a couple of days ago I received an e-mail from an IET Membership coordinator, asking me if I would like to rejoin and they would reinstate my membership.
Makes you wonder why they would ask a retired 70 year old if he would
like to renew his membership.?
 10 January 2014 02:53 PM

simonjbartlett65

I have thought about cancelling but my wife talked me out of it because she remembers many hours on the computer helping me with my application.

One thing I have just done is claim tax relief on my subs. It was so easy with just a phone call and I've gone back and claimed for the last 3 years while at it.

-------------------------
BEng (Hons) CEng MIET
 10 January 2014 03:51 PM

alamatec

It would be a real shame if the IET loses older members because the fees are too high. I think retired members should not have to pay at all. Many retired members have more time to dedicate to supporting the IET but less money. We really need to keep these engineers and get them more involved in IET support roles.
 11 January 2014 08:01 AM

SAVIO

I receive a "Thank You" card yesterday from IET as a volunteer. I stop paying my IET subscription last year. I wonder if I could still being an IET volunteer without being an IET member.
 11 January 2014 09:11 AM

Zuiko

Originally posted by: alamatec
I think retired members should not have to pay at all. .

Many retired persons are significantly better off than, say, young apprentices and trainees who are the life-blood and future of our industry and this instituiton

Old does not mean poor.
 11 January 2014 06:17 PM

neilmcd84

If you are on a final salary pension with your mortgage paid off you should pay full whack!
 13 January 2014 02:50 PM

danielscott

Originally posted by: neilmcd84

If you are on a final salary pension with your mortgage paid off you should pay full whack!

You and Zuiko are living in a dream world and assume that every retiree is living a comfortable life style. We worked in engineering, not teaching and or for the government.

When I joined the IET I still had a small mortage and paid my own fees. Not every retiree has a company pension and even when I turned 65 was paying my own fees and still doing some part-time work until I was 67, when they were reduced to 50%.

I wish you both all the best when you reach retirement and are "significantly better off", than the younger members following you.
 13 January 2014 06:41 PM

Zuiko

Daniel,
I do not assume that every retiree is living in a comfortable life style.

My point was that the age of somebody is not going to tell you how well-of they are; and therefore it is illogical to give free membership to all pensioners.

It would make more sense to give free membership to apprentices.

Edited: 13 January 2014 at 07:44 PM by Zuiko
 15 January 2014 11:22 AM

chris1982

Originally posted by: Zuiko

It would make more sense to give free membership to apprentices.

it would only make sense to give them free membership if their apprenticeship had tie-ins with the IET and built a relationship with the apprentices to make sure that a long term connection was formed.

I would like someone from the IET to post in this thread providing some feedback and respond to the feedback provided by it's members and ex-members, this is not the first thread of its kind to be posted recently
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.