Increase font size
Topic Title: Goodbye everyone
Topic Summary:
Created On: 16 December 2013 06:50 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 16 December 2013 06:50 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

rogerwilson

After 20 years in the IEE / IET, I've finally concluded £169 is too much to pay. It's expensive no matter how you look at it. Tellingly it's far more expensive than similar professional organisations e.g. civil, chemical etc.

Every year (severe recession or not) there's an increase in the subs. - completely out of touch with the harsh realities, here in the real world.

So I've terminated my membership. Goodbye! Hope everyone enjoys their £169 diaries and gets full benefit from the £30m being spent on Savoy Place, London.

R.
 17 December 2013 02:20 AM

kengreen

Roger,

Would you trust a doctor whose qualification was a ju-ju stick nailed to his front door?

If you have a professional qualification you should be earning a professional salary in which event you should be prepared to contribute to your professional institution.

Ken Green
 17 December 2013 08:29 AM

DavidParr

Hi Roger,

It depends on your situation, but if you get involved in things like attending lectures, seminars etc. you can easily get you money's worth. For example, I attended a couple of the Life-skills events provided by the IET Local Network (Manufacturing & Management Group - Mersey & Western Cheshire) at Capenhurst. In the world of work I would expect to pay £100+ for each training session - there were very good. Also, events such as these allow you to network and it is difficult to put a value on that, but it has served me well. And then there's the buffet.....

Seriously though, I am sad to hear that you are leaving. i wish you well for the future.

Best Regards,

-------------------------
David Parr BSc.CEng MIET
PRA
 17 December 2013 08:37 AM

AndyTaylor

I agree with David, anything can be considered expensive if not used at all, and it's actually quite easy to get value for money from the IET subscription.

I'm not knocking you Roger, but 10 forum posts in 11 years and your '£169 diary' comment suggests a general lack of activity in relation to the IET, is that the case?

Andy Taylor CEng MIET
 17 December 2013 09:44 AM

rogerwilson

Hello Ken,

Thanks for your reply. I think you've missed the point somewhat.

Firstly, I am quite prepared to contribute to a professional institution BUT not at the exorbitant IET rate. Compare with IChemE: £139, IOP: £100, the IET is expensive.

Secondly the professional qualification = professional salary idea is very naive. There are plenty of well-qualified people who don't have a job or can only attract a modest salary. This is particularly true during an economic downturn when an organisation like the IET should delay or abandon its relentless subscription increases, above inflation over the years. The Reduced Income benefit is set far too low (and doesn't increase with the subscription rates) as has been commented on before not to mention the on-going complaints from the Retired Members on this issue.

The ju-ju stick comment is rather perculiar but I'd just say my degree is the main indication of basic ability and the CEng is far more useful than MIET. In fact losing CEng has kept me in the IET for the past few years until now. I'll seek alternative ways of keeping that but not indulging the IET.

Who pays your subscription by the way?

Roger.
 17 December 2013 10:09 AM

rogerwilson

David / Andy,

Thanks for your comments. I certainly understand the point you both make.

I think what I've found is that I've never needed the IET in order to do my job and be successful. Hence 10 (now 12) posts.

The idea that I should support the organisation that represents my profession sits very well with me but I've never felt the IET did the job effectively. There's a lack of young people taking STEM subjects at school. There's a lack of home-grown engineers. However this isn't news. It's been like this for 20 years so whatever the IEE / IET has been doing in this time to encourage engineering hasn't worked.

It might be that if I was to retire, ironically then I'd become more involved in the seminars and lectures. At the moment though, as a self-employed electronics bod, if I want to know anything technical I use Google and networking is done at trade shows like the Electronics Design Show and online.

Thanks again for your comments (and good wishes, David).

Roger
 17 December 2013 11:19 AM

chris1982

Originally posted by: rogerwilson

Hope everyone enjoys their £169 diaries and gets full benefit from the £30m being spent on Savoy Place, London.

R.

you forgot the magazines that stay in their wrapping and form a leaning tower
 17 December 2013 12:07 PM

kengreen

Hello again Roger,

Before you compare the subscriptions to the IET with those of other Institutions you must, in all fairness, compare the services?

On another tack there are an awful lot of highly-qualified people around who could not steer a rice pudding off the edge of the kitchen table without the support of their lesser paid juniors. This is a real world and you have to fight your own corner?

To answer your last question - nobody pays my fees because, at 87-years, it is considered not cricket to take my money. Nevertheless I pay my dues out of the allowances from the Ministry of Whimsical Pensions.

Ken Green
 17 December 2013 01:30 PM

rogerwilson

Chris,

Very true. The IET magazine is an interesting point. In IEE days I had a couple of publications as part of the subscription which were very good - very focussed, very relevant. Now the magazine contains lots of generic, newsy stuff that's available online e.g. The Engineer or even the BBC. I do (did) read parts of the IET magzine but never found it a great read (except Vitali Vitaliev).

Rog.
 17 December 2013 02:19 PM

chris1982

I let my subs slide a year or two ago, like you say it's a lot of money and I admit I never really made the most of it, going to talks etc

I posted in another thread that they could discount the membership if you opt-ed out of the magazine subscription, but don't think it will happen
 20 December 2013 10:16 AM

marshr02

I'm afraid I've come to the same conclusion as Roger Wilson - leaving this December after 20 years. I have always paid my own subs, but over the past few years I've found it harder to accept the rising fees. ( Yes, I could get more value for money attending events - but I've got a full on job, long commute, and young family) My employer does not value CEng. To be honest the fees need to halve at least.

marshr02
 20 December 2013 12:21 PM

rogerwilson

Hello Chris / marshr,

Thanks for your replies. I agree with what the 2 of you say. A cut-down membership would have been of interest to me as well but the fundamental thing is the cost is too high AND keeps on rising every year.

I think the IET relies on those businesses who pay the fees for their employees. Many members will benefit from this and not stop to consider the amount of money being charged and what is obtained in return. Only when a member has to fork out themselves does the perception change.

Rog.
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.