Increase font size
Topic Title: CEng interview
Topic Summary: Last minute prep
Created On: 30 November 2013 05:57 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 30 November 2013 05:57 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

chrismcf

I have my CEng interview in a couple of weeks, I have prepared my presentation. Can anyone offer any advice regarding the style of questions asked by the panel?

Is it similar to job interview style questions: can you tell us about a time you resolved conflict / introduced a new technology / delivered a project successfully? etc.

Any comments appreciated (all CEng Engineers were all in my position one day!)

Thanks
 02 December 2013 07:58 AM

roybowdler

Your presentation sets the agenda for initial questions. The interviewers are also engineers and would like to understand what you did and why. If your presentation illustrates your technical contribution to an interesting piece of work, through pictures/drawings/diagrams, rather than just words and bullet points then a natural conversation will develop. Interviewers are looking to confirm your competence against UK-SPEC criteria, so it would be wise to familiarise yourself with the A-E competence requirements, but most will naturally come out in a conversation about your experience without special attention. If you are a little anxious, then make sure you take a small amount of material with you, such as drawings, pictures or even small artefact. This can shift the focus from you on to your work, which hopefully you are proud of and shows how competent you are.

-------------------------
Roy Bowdler IEng FIET FCIPD
IET Registration & Standards
 02 December 2013 08:37 AM

DavidParr

I would say that Roy has described it perfectly! Remember that the interviewers are on your side, and expecting you to pass. It isn't a job interview and there will be no trick questions.

Relax as best you can - you'll probably enjoy it!

-------------------------
David Parr BSc.CEng MIET
PRA
 15 December 2013 09:21 AM

roykstones

Chris, my reply may be too late but just in case it isn't I can tell you having had my interview last month what I experienced. It was not like a job interview and questions asked were directly related to the content within my application and presentation. So there are no trick questions and it is not a technical grilling. By virtue of being invited to attend your PRI your application is good enough for you to pass. I would say that the interview is more about confirming that you are the person that the application relates to and that your presentation and answers relating to your application is a demonstration of your own work.
The advice I received from my PRA was not to get too stressed and try to relax and as David said above you'll probably enjoy it. I did and I have recently found out that I was successful. So good luck and let me know how it goes.

Roy K Stones CEng MIET
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.