Increase font size
Topic Title: How will IEng be promoted after the UKSpec review
Topic Summary:
Created On: 12 November 2013 09:24 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 13 November 2013 01:16 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Simon750

I can't see it being promoted except to fresh graduates as a progression to CEng.

With the watered down UK Spec definitions, I feel many seasoned professionals will not consider it worth pursuing.

ECUK have got a tough job on their hands to make registration seem worthwhile with these changes.

-------------------------
Simon Long CMgr FCMI FInstLM
 20 November 2013 06:40 AM

Simon750

We might possibly be further back than we were 3 years ago.

At least then, there was a slightly more clarified view of where IEng sat in the grand scheme of things.

Where we sit now is in very muddied waters.

-------------------------
Simon Long CMgr FCMI FInstLM
 03 December 2013 12:44 PM

Phil-Newstead

In response to the statement, "There are already a number of companies, universities and training providers that are stating IEng is immediately available on completion of a degree or training (which would normally be at age 21)."

I am an IET Stage 1 / Stage 2 assessor and can state, without prejudice, that a newly (academically) qualified engineer at age 21 without relevant work experience with respect to UK Spec, would be unlikely to be offered a Professional Review Interview, and if they were would be likely to fail.

Professional registration is based on BOTH academic qualifications AND experience as defined in UK Spec.

it's not 'either or' but both!

Phil Newstead
 03 December 2013 01:58 PM

Parsley

Originally posted by: Phil-Newstead

In response to the statement, "There are already a number of companies, universities and training providers that are stating IEng is immediately available on completion of a degree or training (which would normally be at age 21)."

I am an IET Stage 1 / Stage 2 assessor and can state, without prejudice, that a newly (academically) qualified engineer at age 21 without relevant work experience with respect to UK Spec, would be unlikely to be offered a Professional Review Interview, and if they were would be likely to fail.

Professional registration is based on BOTH academic qualifications AND experience as defined in UK Spec.

it's not 'either or' but both!

Phil Newstead

Peter is probably referring to the proposed watered down UK SPEC not the current requirements.

I'm really struggling to understand how these new proposals are going to benefit anyone.

Regards
 03 December 2013 04:28 PM

Parsley

According to the links no real work experience required and no need for a degree level understanding either! The EC and the PI's should be ashamed. Even if the proposals don't go through and the training providers are using poetic licence the general perception is that IEng is only capable of working under close supervision.

Regards
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.