IET
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Competence/work experience write-up
Topic Summary: How to present your work experience?
Created On: 30 October 2013 11:12 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 30 October 2013 11:12 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

DonaldFisher

Hi all,

I am in the process of finalising my CEng application wanted to ask, particuarly to the members who review applications, whether I should highlight what competences I believe I have achieved next to each of the work experience I have listed in the work experience section on my application?

Cheers

-------------------------
JBB IEng MIET
 30 October 2013 11:09 PM

Donald,

When writing your application, try to write it with the competencies in mind. And yes it is good to try to reference the competencies you think have been achieved. This will give the reader a good start while reading through your application.

Also it is a good idea to have your application reviewed by a PRA (Professional Registration Adviser) prior to submission.

Regards

Paul Karslake
 14 November 2013 09:16 AM

faramog

I don't quite agree.

As both a PRA, Assessor and Interviewer the last thing I want to see is an abstract list of activities with a personal assessment of the competence believed to have been addressed.

There is a place for this in your initial assessment of yourself, but the application should be straightforward. The target aim (for 85%+) is for effectively your CV with some relatively small adjustment. Look at UK spec, look at the criteria, see the key 'doing' words and link/tie or use them in your statements. That links the competencies in our minds whilst keeping a good readable flow.

Remember, section D is about communications competencies, and that starts with a clear easy to read and easy to absorb application.

Do contact a PRA to look at your draft and get some advice on the interview and you presentation.

I can't emphasise this enough - its not meant to be a lot of work, think (slightly) enhanced CV and that for most people is enough.

-------------------------
Eur Ing Graham Prebble CEng MIEE
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.