Increase font size
Topic Title: British Gas
Topic Summary:
Created On: 20 October 2013 06:06 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 20 October 2013 06:06 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

AncientMariner

It it just me, or does anyone else get annoyed at the British Gas advert which was shown a few minutes ago in the Granada TV region.

In this advert they refer to a Plumber, an Electrician, a Drains Expert and finally Boiler Engineer.

Considering that in the UK the title Engineer is not protected, I find this advert somewhat inconsistent in job title especially when all are employed by the same company.

It would be interesting to know the qualifications required by British Gas for those jobs.

Cheers!

Clive

-------------------------
Clive S Carver GCGI IEng MIET
 21 October 2013 06:19 PM

mbirdi

A few years ago I would have agreed with your comments. Nowadays. I'm not so sure.

If someone calls themself a medical doctor, I know exactly what business they're in and what type of service they provide to their patients.

The job titles you listed have the same thing in common with the doctor above; that is we all know what business they're in and the level of service they provide to their customers.

CEngs and IEngs are highly qualified and competent professionals, but does anyone know what they do and what level of service they provide to their customers? The answer is no.

The problem doesn't lie with the Plumbers and Boiler engineers, but rather with the registered engineers and their institutions. For over 50 years you [members and the institutions] have not addressed the problem of how to sell yourself to the public.

Simply calling for the government to have the title of Engineer protected by law for registered engineers isn't going to solve the problem from the public's point of view of what you do and what level of service you provide.

Registered engineers do a wide variety of jobs in the course of their entire careers. At the start they could be doing design & development work; towards their later careers they could be doing management and administration jobs. Then there are those on the register who are retired and playing golf or something as part of their CPD.

I'm not sure that registered engineers, in management and adminstration or retirement, should be entitled to have the protected title of Engineer.

I would much rather prefer to see the boiler engineer use the title of engineer than some middle-aged CEng or IEng sitting in the office all day handling in-trays and out-trays with the help of a big red stamp with 'F-OFF!' inscribed on it.

Registered engineers need to sort themselves out first before taking it out on other professions. Do registered engineers ever use their titles in the course of their work on a daily basis? I would hazard a guess the answer is no, and I know the reason why. But that is for another day.

Edited: 21 October 2013 at 06:30 PM by mbirdi
 04 November 2013 09:55 PM

peteTLM

''It would be interesting to know the qualifications required by British Gas for those jobs. ''

Well on the gas front they save their actual qualified people for when they really need them. A friend employs a few ex BG 'engineers' and he is not impressed. Ive also has many customers over the years who have (been) used (by) them.
They (BG) have 1 bloke who put the boiler on the wall and drils the flue hole, (a laborer?)
another bloke comes along and connects some pipes, (a plumber?)
another comes along and commisions the thing and does any faults and is the actual gas safe person.
The other are supposed to have done a full scope apprenticeship or other, but are limited to lifting floorboards, running pipes, drinking tea etc.

And you wonder why they are so expensive......5 people turn up to do what a small companies team of 2 does on a daily basis.

The drains side of BG is actually DynoRod, who they bought out a while back.

-------------------------
----------------------------------------
Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine....

Every man has to know his limitations- Dirty Harry
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.