Increase font size
Topic Title: IET Courses
Topic Summary: graduate program
Created On: 17 October 2013 02:14 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 17 October 2013 02:14 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

leighjenks

Hi,

I am currently on a graduate course that is trying to get accredited with the IET. A question has come up about whether there is a need to attend any IET specific courses.

Does anyone know If this is the case because I cannot find anything to say the courses are mandatory to get Chartered. All graduates have either a BEng or MEng degrees in engineering.

Also has anyone been on a course that was helpful that they could recommend for graduate CE&I engineers.

Leigh Jenks
 18 October 2013 08:37 AM

planetz31

Hi Leigh;

I have just completed the graduate programme with Thales and it is about to go through the accreditation process again. As part of this I will be paraded in front of the institutions as a example of someone who strongly engaged with the programme and has reaped the rewards in the form of being made a CEng. At no point did we attend any IET specific courses.

Our grad programme is accredited by the IET, IMechE, IoP and others and met all requirements and is entirely delivered by our training division.

In order to be accredited I believe it just has to contain the correct training elements and actively promote and encourage the key competancy areas and give a framework of support. At Thales this includes an institution mentor for each graduate, support in completing the application forms for IEng/CEng etc, regular performance & development reviews, having a regularly updated DAP, quaterly activity and training reports (co-signed by the mentor) and more. Although it does seem a lot for myself as the grad it was 2 hours of reports every 3 months and I used to sit with my mentor for 30 to 60 minutes a month over a hot drink and exchange signed reports/drafts and discuss my plans/progress.

I hope this helps

Amardeep
 20 November 2013 11:31 PM

drhakimiusm

Dear all,
Currently I am a lecturer at School of Industrial Technology in Universiti Sains Malaysia, Penang.
At our univ, we have just come across IET and started discussing how our technology degree
programmes can get accredited so that our students can go for IEng and CEng later.
Our degree programmes are 1)Environmental Technology 2) Food Technology 3)Bioprocess technology 4) Bioresource technology.
Anybody can help how to go about?
TQ
Dr Hakimi
 21 November 2013 08:26 AM

DavidParr

Hello,

Suggest you contact accreditation@theiet.org who should be able to help you.

-------------------------
David Parr BSc.CEng MIET
PRA
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.