Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Progress from EngTech to IEng
Topic Summary: Engineering Council IEng
Created On: 08 October 2013 09:36 PM
Status: Read Only
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 08 October 2013 09:36 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message


Posts: 2
Joined: 25 July 2008

Hi, I have just been registered with the EngC as an EngTech.

I was woundering if anyone has progressed onto Incorporeted Engineer (IEng) and how would one do this?

As in what experience and/or courses I should look and doing to stenghthen my application?


Gareth Rowe EngTech LCGI TMIET <( if this is the correct order?)
 09 October 2013 11:34 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message


Posts: 111
Joined: 25 April 2007

First, look at the description/expectation of the role that an IEng would be fulfilling as opposed to EngTech.

If you feel that this is the role you are currently undertaking, take a look at the UK Spec for IEng and see what the criteria is that you have to satisfy.

If you can tick all the boxes, download the application pack, contact a PRA and take it from there, just as many have done before.

For your post nominals : Gareth Rowe LCGI EngTech MIET (qualification, professional status, institute/body)

Simon Long CMgr FCMI FInstLM
 10 October 2013 01:45 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message


Posts: 27
Joined: 13 March 2013

I'm attemptempting to do this now, so I will let you know. The IMechE was relatively dismissive but the SOE and BINDT were more receptive to an individual experience application initially based on a career report. I will let you know how I get on.

The IMechE virtually shuts the door on you at EngTech level unless you pursue academics, I'm not certain about how the IET operate - but you can meet the requirements of UK-SPEC without a degree if you have held positions of responsibility and technical exercise, but the IMechE seems very cold to that appoach.

 14 March 2014 07:57 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message


Posts: 20
Joined: 28 June 2013

Well I would like to now the same as you and contacted the IET but with now clarification see email below

Good Morning,
I wonder you can help me please, I a registered EngTech and wish to progress to IEng, I have been using the career manager and paid a visit to an IET PRA.
The pra did have some good points which I took on-board, however towards the end of the visit he recommended that I needed to enrol into a foundation degree followed by a BA which is completely different from my understanding of the routes to IEng. At the end of the visit with pra I wondered if in fact it was even worth per suing the IEng or just forgetting it completely.
I have since spoken with other IEng who do not hold a foundation degree or a Bachelor's degree and they suggested I contacted the IET for clarification.
I do hold the following:
City and Guilds LCGI Engineering
City and Guilds LCGI Process
City and Guilds Full Technological Certificate
ECITB NVQ Level three Engineering
City and Guilds Motor Craft 1
City and Guilds Motor Craft 2
National Coal Board Apprentice Papers
Plus many more training certificates, I have over thirty years of experience in engineering including owning my own workshop, I am currently applying for work visa for the USA so I have had my experience and qualifications evaluated in America with the outcome that they say I have an equivalent to a Bachelor of Science Degree in Engineering and Technology issued by a USA regional college.
The City and Guilds Listing the LCGI and FTC see below
City & Guilds = Licentiateship (LCGI), Higher Professional Diploma, SVQ/NVQ level 4, Level 4 vocational awards
Academic = Undergraduate
Other = Full technical certificate, BTEC HND/HNC
My main question is do I have enough qualifications to apply for the IEng via the IET or am I wasting my time.
Kind Regards
Martin Forrester
 17 March 2014 11:48 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message


Posts: 620
Joined: 14 December 2004

Hi Martin

Re your post, how did you go about having your experience and qualifications evaluated in America?




Clive S Carver GCGI IEng MIET MITP
 18 March 2014 06:41 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message


Posts: 20
Joined: 28 June 2013

Hi Clive I have been working with an attorney for the H1B visa and he submitted my qualifications to a USCIS recognised assessing body but at the same time I Submitted them to a another USCIS recognised body in Miami, both come back with same result which was in the opinion I had a total of 160 university credits and it was also their opinion that I am equal the Bachelor of science in Engineering and Technology issued by a recognised regional college or university in the USA

Martin (G7JWR)
 29 March 2014 06:57 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message


Posts: 343
Joined: 07 May 2002

Dear Martin,

I think it is worthwhile to give it a try for you to apply for IEng. It is not a must to have a BEng to apply for IEng. IET will assess your qualifications together with your experience on an individual basis. I also heard that even not having a BEng/MEng can also apply for CEng. So, let's try it.

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2016 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.