IET
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Professional Registration Advisor Experiences
Topic Summary: Systems Engineering PRAs - or a lack of?
Created On: 04 September 2013 07:59 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 07 September 2013 06:23 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

dlane

All the PRAs and mentors are voulnteers so it is not always easy to obtain the services of a PRA in your area that works in your field. There are no PRAs in my area that work in my field of engineering. Although you have specified Systems Engineering, that is a very wide scope and can be applied to many different engineering fields so there may be PRAs out there with Systems Engineering knowledge but may not be working in your field. I utilise some Systems Engineering methodolgies in my role but it is on a small scale and I doubt I would have the same depth of knowledge as yourself.

I would actually question why you feel you need a PRA that must be working in your field. The job a PRA is generally non-technical and offers support and guidance on how to structure your application. Their knowledge needs to be in the requirements of CEng and the application process and not in your field of engineering.

For example, if I tell a PRA that I have written company standards and can show that they have been accepted by management then the PRA can advise me which competency I should be relating that to. They don't need to understand the technical content of the standard to tell me that.

All I can suggest you do is talk to your PRA and sort out what your expectations are and what they are capable of delivering. It may be that you are in more need of a mentor for some of your requirements than a PRA.

Good luck with your application.

Kind regards

Donald Lane
 01 October 2013 10:47 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

faramog

I agree ... its more of advise and support in the application. I generally offer comments on how applications initial drafts don't answer the UK-Spec requirements and use that to clarify what the EC are looking for. Its useful as applications get better structured and the candidates start speaking in the language and narratives that are looked for at interview

You most definitely do not need a PRA with systems experience. If your argument is that 'how can they understand', then I point you to section D (Communications). Its your job as a professional engineer to get your ideas and advice across. Your clients and seniors may not have that technical knowledge so its up to you to simplify it and present it in plain language.....

-------------------------
Eur Ing Graham Prebble CEng MIEE
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.