Increase font size
Topic Title: Most appropriate institution for mechanical/in-service inspectors
Topic Summary:
Created On: 25 August 2013 06:55 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 25 August 2013 06:55 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

TomG

I am currently a member of the IMechE, having gained EngTech earlier this year. I was just wondering if anyone here is working in mechanical plant or in-service inspection and what they thought was the most appropriate institution to be a member of if working in that area.

The IMechE does seem highly generalised, although they have started branching into non-destructive testing (NDT) in recent months. I think most people involved in plant inspection seem to be professionally registered via the IMechE or BINDT, with maybe some also in the IET.

Would be great to hear your thoughts, many thanks.

-------------------------
LCGI EngTech MIMechE MSOE MBES
 25 August 2013 08:10 PM

jcm256

Most in-service-inspection Engineers are MSOE MBES. They also register EngTech .
It is costly to be a member of more than one professional body, in my case the fore mentioned
was paid by employer, as it went to Taxman each year for benefit in kind, did not want to claim tax relief on MIET + EC registration. So would advise one or the other. MIMechE is highly regarded as is MIET, so you have a choice. Do not know about IMechE magazines. But SOE are very good for your class of work.

http://www.soe.org.uk/join-soe...KCfmbkCFQ_LtAod3UwAxQ

http://www.soe.org.uk/about-so...presented-sectors/bes/
 25 August 2013 08:11 PM

kasese

Tom,
Try the Society of Operations Engineers www.soe.org.uk - could be what you are looking for and cheaper than the IET.

Tim Guy
 26 August 2013 05:19 PM

TomG

Thanks for the advice gents, I will look into the SOE I think.

04 September 2013 06:38 PM

TomG

Guys I have been looking further into things after mistakenly thinking IPlantE would be the best for me. BES seems to be the most appropriate by far.

My employer will only pay for one institution membership, so I am thinking of letting MIMechE lapse next year. Would anyone seriously advise against this if it is as highly regarded as you say? BES seems like it could be of real value in terms of my development, but IMecheE seems more widely understood.

11 September 2013 11:22 AM

TomG

I'm now a member of the SOE/BES. I know it is a smaller institution, but what a rapid and modern application process they have - something the bigger institutions could learn from.

Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.