IET
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: EngTech and Licentiateship (LCGI)
Topic Summary:
Created On: 09 July 2013 09:47 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
<< 1 2 3 Previous Last unread
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 26 August 2013 04:08 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

g7jwr

well just got from sea on friday and both my FTC and LCGI where waiting at home for me very fast service from the city and guilds
 26 August 2013 08:28 PM

jcm256

1. In addition to be Royal Charter ( US RA equivalent) awards. They are now also are NQF (National Qualifications Framework) accredited qualifications.

http://www.degreeinfo.com/gene...cognition-awards.html

(What is US RA )
 27 August 2013 09:30 AM

g7jwr

Thanks for the congrats, think i may have lost out a bit as i think i should have applied for a second LCGI in management along with the engineering one, i have been a bit cheeky and emailed the C&G to see if they will still do it.
I am pleased to see they are good for the US as my aim is move over the pond.

Martin
 27 August 2013 11:03 AM

MosheW

Originally posted by: jcm256

1. In addition to be Royal Charter ( US RA equivalent) awards. They are now also are NQF (National Qualifications Framework) accredited qualifications.

http://www.degreeinfo.com/gene...ion-awards.html

(What is US RA )

RA in USA means Regional Accreditation.

In USA there are many Accrediting Agencies.

All the legitimate Accrediting Agencies are listed with the CHEA - Council for Higher Education Accreditation and also recognized by Department of Education.

Some Accrediting agencies serve as Institutional Accreditors, they visit, research, check and accredit the whole university or Institute,

The Gold Standard and the most recognized in USA and the world are the Six Regional agencies.

The followed by National Accreditors - such as DETC.

In US there is also Professional Accreditation of Programs in Universities.

ABET accredits Engineering Programs.
AMA - Medical Programs etc.
There are hundreds of specialty and professional accrediting agencies.

Then there are unrecognized agencies, accreditation mils, they usually existto accredit diploma mills.
 23 September 2013 09:57 PM

TomG

I got my LCGI certificate today which was pleasing. A week or two ago I got an email saying which route (IE subject) do you want it in. I thought that it was going to be in 'Engineering' automatically but I replied saying 'Mechanical Engineering' and the cert states that which is quite important for my field. Maybe they were just confirming which field of engineering I wanted it in.

Anyway great service from C&G and thanks to everyone here for their comments and help.

I guess my next step now is to finish my HNC and perhaps expand my mechanical plant inspection or NDT certificates where possible.

Although I am 'only' 28, I have 10 years experience in mechanical inspection and NDT and I have worked at supervisory/first line management level for some time. I have recently made preliminary enquirers about applying for IEng base don experience but I am not sure if this is possible for me yet.

-------------------------
LCGI EngTech MIMechE MSOE MBES
 25 September 2013 11:32 AM

Simon750

Not all universities accept LCGI and GCGI for shortening the years for a degree.

Shame that some do, some don't.

If this is a route you want to take, check with differing uni's and see which accept it.

Simon Long CMgr FCMI FInstLM
 26 September 2013 12:51 AM

MosheW

More universities accept now that as of 2012 the LCGI is also accredited officially CQF.

But on the other hand not all universities accept other universities diplomas as well. No university is obligated to recognize transfer from another university. Its totally to discretion of the accepting university whom they will accept and whom they will reject.

Also noting wrong to take HNC/D classes. In 2008 I repeated and earned second Bachelors degree, not so match for the need of the degree but I liked the classes, I refreshed my knowledge and use of higher math etc. The Labs were advanced and simply great experience.

At the time I had 2 LCGI's and one GCGI and MBA so I got in to final year of 4 year Bachelor of Technology in Electronics Engineering programme. The US college I studied at awarded me for 2 LCGI's and GCGI 101 semester credits. The degree required 139 + final design project to graduate.
Typical class was 3 semester credits. So I completed the reaming 38 credits with final design project (4 credits). And in Nov 2009 had the degree.
 26 September 2013 07:08 AM

Simon750

That's it, you are officially weird. You enjoy classes !!!!!

I am doing an MSc at the moment, enjoy in not the first word that springs to mind

Simon Long CMgr FCMI FInstLM
 26 September 2013 08:22 AM

Aitken1953

MosheW,
I have an HNC and I am a Chartered Engineer, I also have GCGI and MCGI - Is there any Universities will give me excemption towards a B Eng as I believe that is the only drawback on my CV
 27 September 2013 10:48 AM

MosheW

Originally posted by: Aitken1953

MosheW,

I have an HNC and I am a Chartered Engineer, I also have GCGI and MCGI - Is there any Universities will give me excemption towards a B Eng as I believe that is the only drawback on my CV

In USA there are three universities called the big three that can award credit transfer 100% toward the degree. .
Some have minimum requirements of a capstone project.

Tomas Edison State College.
Charter Oak State College
Excelsior College

And many more that will let you complete the final year , i.e they wil grant 75% in transfer.

But why do you bother with BEng?

Go for MEng

Also I seen the following French college on the internet awards degree solely on APEL.

http://www.sorbon.fr/

You will need to check if their degrees recognized in UK or your country if you are not in UK.

http://www.sorbon.fr/index1.htm

Do research on the internet to see if this will be good for you.
I read mixed reviews.

Edited: 27 September 2013 at 04:03 PM by MosheW
 27 September 2013 11:05 AM

Aitken1953

What excemption towards M Eng ?

What about UK Universities ?
 27 September 2013 03:29 PM

MosheW

Originally posted by: Aitken1953

What excemption towards M Eng ?

What about UK Universities ?

MEng degree is a 4 year programme (BEng 3 years ) one year degree.
Some universities will allow GCGI as entry to MEng. Now you also have MCGI so even MEng maybe all you need some classes to completed.

What I use is the PDF document from City and Guilds that lists classes for Graduate diploma in Engineering and Post Graduate Diploma in Engineering that C&G offer today. They are equivalents to GCGI and MCGI and help the University to asses transfer credit.

It worked for a friend who got a lot of credit transfer toward a BEng degree.

Contact University of Wales they take GCGI in to MEng degree program, and call , email others, what I call shop around.
YOu also are a CEng so I expect you can get in to final year the MEng or even advanced standing in the MEng programme.

Contact UK universities .
 08 October 2013 08:59 PM

alun1976

I received my LCGI last week so just got in there just in time!!!!
I only stumbled apon the ablility it get this award on the IET web site, as it dose not look like it is widely marketed in my oponion, as when I forwared a copy of my cert to my HR training team to add to my records they did not seem impressed! not even a congrats!!! But one good thing my manager approved my expenses claim for the £120 reg fee!!! The one benefit my employer that is usefull.. oh and free parking that they constantly remind us about...!!
 09 October 2013 12:09 AM

MosheW

Originally posted by: alun1976

I received my LCGI last week so just got in there just in time!!!!

I only stumbled apon the ablility it get this award on the IET web site, as it dose not look like it is widely marketed in my oponion, as when I forwared a copy of my cert to my HR training team to add to my records they did not seem impressed! not even a congrats!!! But one good thing my manager approved my expenses claim for the £120 reg fee!!! The one benefit my employer that is usefull.. oh and free parking that they constantly remind us about...!!

When my wife got Ph.D and submitted to her HR from name recognized highly ranked university the HR did not seem impressed! not even a congrats!!!.
Some maybe be are jealous, others think now they need to increase her salary ( policy by the employer and the union) etc.
Don't pay attention t how HR react.
More important you have internationally recognized award from a name recognized Institute.
How did you manager respond?
You see in company I worked when a person got a higher level credential they were moved to appropriate grade.
We had 12 grades for technicians and Technologists.
12 Grades for Engineers.

So an Engineering Technician usually started at level 5 and if they had 4 years of experience the highest they started at level 7 Technician grade. Special benefits only to registered Technicians and Engineers.

If you had LCGI you immediately bumped to level 9.
 14 October 2013 08:56 PM

stewartrussell82

Hi all,

Only recently found out about this award. Have just applied for EngTech and would be intrested in LCGI.

Anyone know what the process for applying is now?
 03 November 2013 11:08 AM

MosheW

For LCGI and other PRA's you will need to work with C&G Authorized Center.
This can be local education provider in your area or a college, etc.
There is a search for provider service on C&G web site.

Contact C&G for help .
 16 November 2013 10:41 AM

stewartrussell82

Thanks MoshW
 13 February 2014 10:44 AM

davepotter

Has anyone applied for one of these professional recognition awards? I want to apply for LCGI, and the website says to contact a local center, but there aren't many to chose from and looking on there websites they don't seem to be engineering training centers. Does anybody have any information on which one to contact, and any more details on whats involved in achieving the award?

Thanks
 15 February 2014 07:57 AM

SAVIO

Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.