IET
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: EngTech and Licentiateship (LCGI)
Topic Summary:
Created On: 09 July 2013 09:47 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
<< 1 2 3 4 Previous Next Last unread
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 14 July 2013 09:12 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Simon750

According to the C&G website, the diplomas are not recognized by the Engineering Council, so how could they be used for IEng & CEng respectively?

-------------------------
Simon Long CMgr FCMI FInstLM
 16 July 2013 02:17 PM

MosheW

Originally posted by: Simon750

According to the C&G website, the diplomas are not recognized by the Engineering Council, so how could they be used for IEng & CEng respectively?

They are not used for IEng or CEng
They are a reward for having IEng and CEng.

As they are recognized as equivalent to a degree.
Having GCGI in Engineering is like having BEng + Training + Experience.

Not every IEng, CENg has a degree, some earned it via mature adult or technical report rout..

Then having LCGI, GCGI. MCGI is awesome for such a person.
But not only.

I seen combination of people having BEng(Hon) and MCGI etc.
In my case I have BEng(Hon) CEng and MCGi is in the mail.

Edited: 16 July 2013 at 02:32 PM by MosheW
 17 July 2013 07:47 AM

Simon750

Your previous post stated:

Originally posted by: MosheW

C&G also created two Diplomas that are recognized by IET for IEng and CEng.

Graduate Diploma in Engineering and Post Graduate Diploma in Engineering.

These are classroom based for working adults as alternate flexible rout to IEng and CEng professional registration.

Hence my continued confusion.

I have to disagree, the GCGI is not the same as having a BEng nor is a MCGI the same as MEng. It would not be accepted in at least one of the criteria against which qualifications are judged. Size, content and level.

It is a level 6 award, supposedly comparable to a bachelors degree, but try and get an institute to accept it as such.

17 July 2013 08:30 AM

MosheW

Your previous post stated:

Originally posted by: MosheW

C&G also created two Diplomas that are recognized by IET for IEng and CEng.

Graduate Diploma in Engineering and Post Graduate Diploma in Engineering.

These are classroom based for working adults as alternate flexible rout to IEng and CEng professional registration.

Hence my continued confusion.

I have to disagree, the GCGI is not the same as having a BEng nor is a MCGI the same as MEng. It would not be accepted in at least one of the criteria against which qualifications are judged. Size, content and level.

It is a level 6 award, supposedly comparable to a bachelors degree, but try and get an institute to accept it as such.

I think you are mixing two criteria. Professional Accreditation such as IET for IEng and CEng and Royal Charter, OfQual etc.

There are academically accredited BEng degrees out there offered by universities in UK that are not professionally accredited for IEng or CEng not all students / graduates have interest to be registered with EngC.

Professional Accreditation is definitely a plus and I think people should get registered but its really a choice and not mandated by any law.
IEng or CEng is not a license to practice its global brand of competent Engineer who also have demonstrated leadership and management.

For example University of York has accredited degree programmes that are also professionally accredited by IET for IEng and CEng and also accredited programs that are NOT accredited for IEng and CEng.

You as a students have a choice to elect BEng
course that is recognised by BCS the Chartered Institute for IT for the purposes of fully meeting the educational requirement for Chartered IT Professional (CITP), CITP Further Learning and Chartered Engineer (CEng).

MEng
This course is recognised by Institution of Engineering and Technology (IET) for the purposes of fulfilment of the educational requirement for CEng registration.

OR

GV45 - BSc Computer Science and Philosophy is not professionally accredited like other degrees at University of York.
Its valuable degree and fully useful just not for CEng or CITP.

Visit the web site of University of York
Department of Computer Sciense

Professional accreditation We're proud of the fact that our Computer Science courses are fully or partly accredited (where appropriate) by both the Institution of Engineering and Technology (IET) and the BCS (the Chartered Institute for IT) - both professional bodies of computing and engineering.

GV45 - BSc Computer Science and Philosophy is not professionally accredited yet its an accredited degree that employers and universities all over the world recognize.

The same for GCGI and MCGI these awards are uder UK Royal Charter - the highest accreditation in UK and also OfQuals.

Now a new graduate without experience with professionally accredited BEng cant register as IEng or Get GCGI.

When I see some one with GCGI I see a professional who has Education + Training + Experience. and someone who can via Technical Report rout register as IEng..

GCGI or MCGI is a qualification award of City and Guilds like CITP is qualification of BCS not directly intended for EngC registration. If one wants to register they have option to complete IET Professionally Accredited BEng etc. Or if most of the UK SPEC is met then adult professional or Technical Report rout.

Edited: 17 July 2013 at 08:46 AM by MosheW
 17 July 2013 10:48 AM

Simon750

I was under the impression that IEng and CEng were awarded by the Engineering Council not by institutions.

The institutes make recommendations.

17 July 2013 02:00 PM

MosheW

I was under the impression that IEng and CEng were awarded by the Engineering Council not by institutions.

The institutes make recommendations.

Correct, I state the same.
But the Institute has to be licensed/approved by EngC to do so.
To register the Engineers. Once IET made a determination that a member engineer should be registered they forward the form to EngC
on members payment of the required fees and the registration is due diligence, followed by EngC.

Institutes that are licensed by EngC to register Engineer also accredit professionally Engineering programs in UK Universities.

This professional accreditation insures that HND, BEng or MEng is up to a standard set by EngC for registration

A list of IET professionally accredited University programs can be requested.

Remember that professional accreditation is optional and not all universities offer IET or other EngC licensed Institute's accredited programs.

What is IET accreditation?
When a university or college BEng or MEng programme becomes professionally accredited by IET, this means it will have been audited and tested to be sure that it reaches a standard to be benchmarked as a course that offers its students a top level of education.
Ask any department who has recently undergone an accreditation visit and they will tell you it's not just a case of ticking some boxes, it requires a lot of hard work.
The criteria the programme has to meet is based on requirements of the Engineering Council UK - the same organisation that sets the requirements for EngTech, ICTTech, IEng and CEng status.
Areas that are looked at in depth include projects, staffing, resources, quality assurance, student support and most importantly the programme's structure and technical depth.

Over 1,000 programmes are currently accredited by the IET in the UK alone.
You can go to the web page on IET site to read more about IET accrediting activities and a list of accredited by IET programmes.

http://www.theiet.org/academic...nopsis-accred-list.cfm

Edited: 17 July 2013 at 04:14 PM by MosheW
 18 July 2013 06:12 AM

Simon750

I fully aware of the process and the role the various parties play in it. Sadly, tongue in cheek comments don't work on forums

22 July 2013 08:04 PM

TomG

Well now that I am in receipt of my membership and Engineering Council numbers, I sent off for my LCGI by email today. Hope everything goes through fine before the deadline.

Thanks for your input everybody.

LCGI EngTech MIMechE MSOE MBES

Edited: 22 July 2013 at 08:19 PM by TomG
 27 July 2013 05:56 PM

TomG

Card charged for £120 so if they have taken my money, I am taking the letters!

A reminder that you need to get your application for City & Guilds Senior Awards in by 16 August as they will be discontinued from 31 August.

28 July 2013 01:55 PM

MosheW

The way they work is, they first charge your card. Then the Application continues further down the pipe.
If something is missing they will let you know.
Good chance if you provided all the required info that in 2 to 4 weeks you will get your diploma.

City and Guilds compare LCGI to HND, HNC and Full Technical Certificate..

Last time I checked most Engineer Jobs require NHC at the minimum. So when you update you CV you can add a line under LCGI that it is equivalent to HNC/HND.

Here is Qualification Comparison quote from City and Guilds web site, under qualifications explained.
">http://www.cityandguil...m/C.....Comparisons

Level 4

City & Guilds = Licentiateship (LCGI), Higher Professional Diploma, SVQ/NVQ level 4, Level 4 vocational awards
Academic = Undergraduate
Other = Full technical certificate, BTEC HND/HNC
 28 July 2013 02:17 PM

TomG

Thanks for the info. I'm not envisioning any problems as I supplied my IMechE and Enginerring Council numbers, with a copy of my membership letter and certificate.

01 August 2013 03:04 PM

Gazzer83

I have applied for mine and they have taken the money. Now just the waiting. As usual.
 05 August 2013 11:40 AM

jcm256

You say City & Guilds Senior Awards in by 16 August as they will be discontinued from 31 August. Meaning just a name change or will no longer available thought membership of a professional body. What will be the new system who do you apply to. Do C & G have a local office in every part of the world? Do not see an engineer sample report in the document below just an engineer manager.

">http://cdn.cityandguil...m/P.....pack_v1.pdf

And this is at the top of the tree.

http://www.cityandguilds.com/A...What-We-Do/Fellowships

Edited: 05 August 2013 at 01:15 PM by jcm256
 05 August 2013 05:29 PM

MosheW

Originally posted by: jcm256

You say City & Guilds Senior Awards in by 16 August as they will be discontinued from 31 August. Meaning just a name change or will no longer available thought membership of a professional body. What will be the new system who do you apply to. Do C & G have a local office in every part of the world? Do not see an engineer sample report in the document below just an engineer manager.

">">"><br "><br ">&l.......m/P...pack_v1.pdf

]http://cdn.cityandguilds.com/ProductDocuments/Professional_Recognition_Awards/Professional_Recognition_Awards/9200/Additional_documents/9200_information_pack_v1.pdf
<br [/L]

And this is at the top of the tree.

http://www.cityandguilds.com/A...What-We-Do/Fellowships

It is my understanding that Professional Recognition Awards will be available via Centers.
A City and guilds accredited center can be a local college, institute or University.
Basically education provider who gets approved by City and Guilds to offer City and Guilds qualifications, classroom, training etc.

City and Guilds advertising for potential colleges and training schools:

To offer this qualification please submit an application and we'll help you get set up - you can become a City & Guilds qualification provider within 30 days.

The new Professional Recognition awards in Engineering are up to including level 6 - GCGI.

Level 7 MCGI only limited to Leadership and Management or Engineering Management.

Edited: 06 August 2013 at 06:14 PM by MosheW
 17 August 2013 09:16 PM

g7jwr

I applied on the 23rd July for the LCGI and Full Technical Certificate, got a conformation yesterday the 16th Aug that both certificates have been approved, my application was direct method and not via the IET.

Martin

g7jwrg7jwr@yahoo.com
 17 August 2013 09:19 PM

g7jwr

Just waiting for my certificates to arrive at my door, the C&G where great in answering my emails, very fast

Martin

g7jwr
 18 August 2013 09:06 AM

Aitken1953

Level 7 MCGI only limited to Leadership and Management or Engineering Management.

I am told this only applies from the 16th August 2013,
before that it was Engineering only (From C&G)
 18 August 2013 05:49 PM

MosheW

Originally posted by: Aitken1953

I am told this only applies from the 16th August 2013,

before that it was Engineering only (From C&G)

Correct

The new awards called Professional Recognition Awards

and I stated that Engineering still available for GCGI but for MCGI level 7 only Leadership and Management and Engineering Management available.

I applied for MCGI in Engineering in July 17.
It takes 5 weeks to get processed so I'm still waiting.
 18 August 2013 05:55 PM

MosheW

Originally posted by: g7jwr

I applied on the 23rd July for the LCGI and Full Technical Certificate, got a conformation yesterday the 16th Aug that both certificates have been approved, my application was direct method and not via the IET.

Martin

g7jwrg7jwr@yahoo.com

Martin

How did you apply for FTC?

What did you have to supply?

Thx
 18 August 2013 06:27 PM

Aitken1953

Only waited 2 weeks
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.