IET
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: EngTech and Licentiateship (LCGI)
Topic Summary:
Created On: 09 July 2013 09:47 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
1 2 3 Next Last unread
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 09 July 2013 09:47 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

TomG

Very unreliable I know, but according to Wikipedia, you can apply for LCGI if you are an EngTech. Can anyone tell me if this is true and how you go about it if so? The C&G website seems to be lacking in that information, if it is indeed true.

Many thanks.

-------------------------
LCGI EngTech MIMechE MSOE MBES
 10 July 2013 06:01 AM

SAVIO

My brother also got MCGI thru his CEng. But, it seems there is no real value with MCGI when someone has a BEng and CEng already. Just my personal view!
 10 July 2013 10:16 AM

TomG

Thank you very much for your help on this. Would you place any value on LCGI then?

10 July 2013 11:00 AM

TomG

Thanks for more useful information. I think I will apply for it if it's simple a one-off payment and nothing more.

I am currently doing a HNC in Mechanical Engineering part time over three years (just finished my first year). I am a mechanical plant inspector and my employers pay my salary on my one day per week college and also take care of the course fees - but I have at times questioned the HNC's value to me and to them.

10 July 2013 01:50 PM

roybowdler

I note that City and Guilds have recently changed the "Senior Awards" to "Professional Recognition Awards". For many years (I was involved circa 20 years ago) C&G allowed partner universities and some employers to make awards such as LCGI on a franchise (or delegated authority) basis.

Anyone seeking a Professional Recognition Award can find further information

here

The decision to seek recognition if you meet the requirements, is a personal one and may depend on your view of the cost versus value. City & Guilds is a highly respected body and recognition by them certainly holds some value. However, I would recommend that for a practising Engineer or Technician, entry into the Engineering Council register should be the main objective. Professional registrants will be deemed to meet the requirements for the G&C awards, but the reverse does not apply.

If an opportunity naturally occurs to gain C&G recognition, if your work environment values these awards in particular, if you would like an opportunity to participate in an awards ceremony , or if you would like to contribute to the activities of C&G as a body, for professional development reasons, these all seem good reasons to consider the awards

Roy Bowdler IEng FIET FCIPD
IET Registration & Standards
 10 July 2013 02:53 PM

TomG

Thanks very much to both of you for your input.

I am going to apply for LCGI but I have only just been accepted as an EngTech member and don't yet have my Engineering Council number, so I think I will have to wait for now.

With the Senior Awards changing to Professional Recognition Awards, what bearing will that have do you think? I'm not sure whether to apply before the 16 August deadline before Senior Awards are phased out, if there is any value in doing that?

What does the final year of a BEng involve, MosheW?

Edited: 10 July 2013 at 03:12 PM by TomG
 10 July 2013 06:51 PM

Phil-Newstead

Just a thought, I was talking to a colleague who had applied for and got a GCGI and when I asked why he said, "At some time in the future I may well decide not to renew my IET/IEng membership but for a one off payment I will always have the equivalent (more or less) of a BEng!"

So, if for no other reason, LCGI, GCGI and MCGI look to me like a good deal.

Phil Newstead
 10 July 2013 08:04 PM

TomG

I agree Phil, the concept of a one-off payment for a lifetime title seems pretty appealing to me. In the past I have questioned people that appeared to simply 'collect and flaunt' letters after their name. But now I think going through the processes does say something about your interest level in your career.

As far as I can tell from the slightly confusing City & Guilds website, it seems that application for the new Professional Recognition Awards isn't going to be as simple as the outgoing Senior Awards is/was - so I am hoping to be able to make the 16 August headline for the Senior Awards.

Has anyone been to the award ceremony? I'm just trying to understand its role. Is that the only way you can receive your certificate or will they post it to you if you cannot attend?

10 July 2013 08:45 PM

peteTLM

No, they will send you a cert in the post first hand, and the option to go to a ceremony is optional.

----------------------------------------
Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine....

Every man has to know his limitations- Dirty Harry
 10 July 2013 09:04 PM

TomG

Thanks Pete, I think it may still be nice to go but I just wondered!

11 July 2013 08:16 AM

TomG

From their website:

senior awards will no longer be available From the end of august 2013

Senior Awards are being replaced by Professional Recognition Awards. The deadline for all applications is 16 August 2013 and any applications received after this date will not be processed. Please ensure that you allow plenty of time for postage.

All the application forms that you need in order to apply for any of our Senior Awards (valid until 31 August 2013), whether you are interested in gaining an award in Engineering, Leadership and Management or even Animal care are listed.

Candidates will not be able to apply directly to City & Guilds for a Professional Recognition Award and will instead need to contact their local City & Guilds office who will provide a list of approved centres in their region.

12 July 2013 09:22 PM

TomG

My concern now is will having a Senior Award be damaged by them now being replaced by something else?

I would also wonder if the centres recognise engineering registrations for instant conversion, hence why I'm eager to have an application in by the deadline.

14 July 2013 09:12 AM

Simon750

According to the C&G website, the diplomas are not recognized by the Engineering Council, so how could they be used for IEng & CEng respectively?

Simon Long CMgr FCMI FInstLM
 17 July 2013 07:47 AM

Simon750

Your previous post stated:

Originally posted by: MosheW

C&G also created two Diplomas that are recognized by IET for IEng and CEng.

Graduate Diploma in Engineering and Post Graduate Diploma in Engineering.

These are classroom based for working adults as alternate flexible rout to IEng and CEng professional registration.

Hence my continued confusion.

I have to disagree, the GCGI is not the same as having a BEng nor is a MCGI the same as MEng. It would not be accepted in at least one of the criteria against which qualifications are judged. Size, content and level.

It is a level 6 award, supposedly comparable to a bachelors degree, but try and get an institute to accept it as such.

17 July 2013 10:48 AM

Simon750

I was under the impression that IEng and CEng were awarded by the Engineering Council not by institutions.

The institutes make recommendations.

18 July 2013 06:12 AM

Simon750

I fully aware of the process and the role the various parties play in it. Sadly, tongue in cheek comments don't work on forums

22 July 2013 08:04 PM

TomG

Well now that I am in receipt of my membership and Engineering Council numbers, I sent off for my LCGI by email today. Hope everything goes through fine before the deadline.

Thanks for your input everybody.

Edited: 22 July 2013 at 08:19 PM by TomG
 27 July 2013 05:56 PM

TomG

Card charged for £120 so if they have taken my money, I am taking the letters!

A reminder that you need to get your application for City & Guilds Senior Awards in by 16 August as they will be discontinued from 31 August.

28 July 2013 02:17 PM

TomG

Thanks for the info. I'm not envisioning any problems as I supplied my IMechE and Enginerring Council numbers, with a copy of my membership letter and certificate.

01 August 2013 03:04 PM

Gazzer83

I have applied for mine and they have taken the money. Now just the waiting. As usual.
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.