IET
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: EngTech and Licentiateship (LCGI)
Topic Summary:
Created On: 09 July 2013 09:47 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
1 2 3 4 Next Last unread
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 09 July 2013 09:47 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

TomG

Very unreliable I know, but according to Wikipedia, you can apply for LCGI if you are an EngTech. Can anyone tell me if this is true and how you go about it if so? The C&G website seems to be lacking in that information, if it is indeed true.

Many thanks.

-------------------------
LCGI EngTech MIMechE MSOE MBES
 09 July 2013 11:32 PM

MosheW

I hold two LCGI awards, one GCGI and MCGI on the way in the mail.

Yes, EngTech can apply for LCGI. you can download the application form from the following web site link
"><br ">http://.....m/~...ing_v1.ashx

City and guilds are in a process of changing the awards to Professional Recognition Awards.
On the following link all the info you need.

"><br ">http://.....m/C...tion-Awards

There is a fee for this service, currently £120 for Licentiateship (LCGI) (available to holders of
Engineering Technician status) £270 for Graduateship (available to holders of Incorporated
Engineer status) and £370 for Membership (MCGI) (available to holders of Chartered
Engineer status). Payment should be made to City & Guilds at the time of application, and
should be made by credit or debit card, by completing the form provided.
Please carefully read the notes accompanying the application form.

Please allow a minimum of three weeks for the processing of the application. Send completed
application forms to: Archive Services, City & Guilds, 1 Giltspur Street, London EC1A 9DD, or
fax the application form to +44 (0) 207 294 3416 or email to
ASapplications@cityandguilds.com.

If the link I posted to City and Guilds don't work just go to Google and type in
City & Guilds Professional Recognition Awards
it will take you to the right area on the City and Guilds Web Site.

Edited: 09 July 2013 at 11:49 PM by MosheW
 10 July 2013 06:01 AM

SAVIO

My brother also got MCGI thru his CEng. But, it seems there is no real value with MCGI when someone has a BEng and CEng already. Just my personal view!
 10 July 2013 07:09 AM

MosheW

SAVO I disagree.In my view and based on results in the field I think it adds high value.

MCGI is MEng equivalent so there is value. It depends how one presents it and if MEng required for the job. Some say its not the qualification that makes the person but the person makes the qualification.

I know number of cases when MCGI was accepted for Ph.D program. Saves you a year right there.
Also accepted where Masters degree preferred for Adjunct instructor in US universities, or for Job that required Masters degree.
More hits then misses.

Royal Charter is the highest level of recognition/accreditation in UK. City and Guilds has good reputation.
OfQual accreditation also adds to the usefulness of MCGI.

Great value for 370 BP one time investment.
 10 July 2013 10:16 AM

TomG

Thank you very much for your help on this. Would you place any value on LCGI then?

10 July 2013 10:47 AM

MosheW

I been told LCGI is on the same level and comparable to City and Guilds FTC or FTD- Full Technological Diploma.
It is also awarded by Queens University after 2 years of full time study and one year of work experience.
You can get in to final year of BEng degree at some universities or final 2 years depends on university.

In general its can be compared to HNC/HND at level 4 or Foundation Degree.

Its good especially for people who don't have a level 4 NVQ or foundation degree etc. This complements the CV as you can put equivalent to HNC in Engineering. Increases chances to get a job.

Queens University Belfast

A nine month placement in a financial work environment is an integral part of the BSc Finance degree. A number of these employers provide a platform for students to gain a valuable insight into the world of work and develop their professional and soft skills through placement. Also, during placement students have opportunity to undertake an additional award known as The City & Guilds Licentiateship (LCGI). The Licentiateship of the City & Guilds of London Institute (LCGI) is a work-based qualification which may be used to complement a degree by accrediting relevant experience and competence gained during work placement. Competition for the best graduate jobs has never been more challenging, and employers are looking for more than just academic qualifications. This award complements the students' work experience and proves to employers that students have the key workplace skills and experience they are looking for.

">http://www.qub.ac.uk/s...s/Q.....9NewsItems/

"It is a point of pride for us that we were one of the first universities in the UK to become involved in the scheme, and we feel it is an investment that has yielded rich returns. Those who gain the award today follow in an honourable tradition but, more importantly, they are taking a step towards a brighter future for themselves."

The scheme is based on the recognition of competence and achievement through a combination of education, training and work-based experience, and it provides a progressive vocational route to higher level qualifications.

The undergraduates will receive their Licentiateship (LCGI) Awards in Aeronautical Engineering, Agricultural Technology, Chemical Engineering, Civil Engineering, Electrical and Electronic Engineering, Finance and Accounting, Food Science and Technology, Information Technology, Mechanical and Manufacturing Engineering, and Structural Engineering with Architecture.
 10 July 2013 11:00 AM

TomG

Thanks for more useful information. I think I will apply for it if it's simple a one-off payment and nothing more.

I am currently doing a HNC in Mechanical Engineering part time over three years (just finished my first year). I am a mechanical plant inspector and my employers pay my salary on my one day per week college and also take care of the course fees - but I have at times questioned the HNC's value to me and to them.

10 July 2013 01:41 PM

MosheW

HNC followed by HND is good education, a lot of Engineers started this way.
Once you get your LCGI you may want to explore doing final year for BEng with University of Wales.
 10 July 2013 01:50 PM

roybowdler

I note that City and Guilds have recently changed the "Senior Awards" to "Professional Recognition Awards". For many years (I was involved circa 20 years ago) C&G allowed partner universities and some employers to make awards such as LCGI on a franchise (or delegated authority) basis.

Anyone seeking a Professional Recognition Award can find further information

here

The decision to seek recognition if you meet the requirements, is a personal one and may depend on your view of the cost versus value. City & Guilds is a highly respected body and recognition by them certainly holds some value. However, I would recommend that for a practising Engineer or Technician, entry into the Engineering Council register should be the main objective. Professional registrants will be deemed to meet the requirements for the G&C awards, but the reverse does not apply.

If an opportunity naturally occurs to gain C&G recognition, if your work environment values these awards in particular, if you would like an opportunity to participate in an awards ceremony , or if you would like to contribute to the activities of C&G as a body, for professional development reasons, these all seem good reasons to consider the awards

Roy Bowdler IEng FIET FCIPD
IET Registration & Standards
 10 July 2013 02:53 PM

TomG

Thanks very much to both of you for your input.

I am going to apply for LCGI but I have only just been accepted as an EngTech member and don't yet have my Engineering Council number, so I think I will have to wait for now.

With the Senior Awards changing to Professional Recognition Awards, what bearing will that have do you think? I'm not sure whether to apply before the 16 August deadline before Senior Awards are phased out, if there is any value in doing that?

What does the final year of a BEng involve, MosheW?

Edited: 10 July 2013 at 03:12 PM by TomG
 10 July 2013 06:51 PM

Phil-Newstead

Just a thought, I was talking to a colleague who had applied for and got a GCGI and when I asked why he said, "At some time in the future I may well decide not to renew my IET/IEng membership but for a one off payment I will always have the equivalent (more or less) of a BEng!"

So, if for no other reason, LCGI, GCGI and MCGI look to me like a good deal.

Phil Newstead
 10 July 2013 08:04 PM

TomG

I agree Phil, the concept of a one-off payment for a lifetime title seems pretty appealing to me. In the past I have questioned people that appeared to simply 'collect and flaunt' letters after their name. But now I think going through the processes does say something about your interest level in your career.

As far as I can tell from the slightly confusing City & Guilds website, it seems that application for the new Professional Recognition Awards isn't going to be as simple as the outgoing Senior Awards is/was - so I am hoping to be able to make the 16 August headline for the Senior Awards.

Has anyone been to the award ceremony? I'm just trying to understand its role. Is that the only way you can receive your certificate or will they post it to you if you cannot attend?

10 July 2013 08:45 PM

peteTLM

No, they will send you a cert in the post first hand, and the option to go to a ceremony is optional.

----------------------------------------
Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine....

Every man has to know his limitations- Dirty Harry
 10 July 2013 09:04 PM

TomG

Thanks Pete, I think it may still be nice to go but I just wondered!

10 July 2013 09:42 PM

MosheW

Yes, I walked the walk in 2008. for my 2007 GCGI.
It was great experience and the whole week I spent in London was fantastic. This was my younger sons first visit to UK.
We had a lot of fun. My firs visit to UK was in 1985, very memorable.
There is a nice YouTube video of the ceremony, some one posted it for the last year 2012... just go to YouTube and type City and Guilds award ceremony.
 10 July 2013 10:16 PM

MosheW

Originally posted by: TomG

I agree Phil, the concept of a one-off payment for a lifetime title seems pretty appealing to me. In the past I have questioned people that appeared to simply 'collect and flaunt' letters after their name. But now I think going through the processes does say something about your interest level in your career.

As far as I can tell from the slightly confusing City & Guilds website, it seems that application for the new Professional Recognition Awards isn't going to be as simple as the outgoing Senior Awards is/was - so I am hoping to be able to make the 16 August headline for the Senior Awards.

Has anyone been to the award ceremony? I'm just trying to understand its role. Is that the only way you can receive your certificate or will they post it to you if you cannot attend?

Tom,

How did you find out about Aug 16th? deadline for the Senior Awards?
Is it on the C&G web site?

Earlier this year I heard December 2013 was Deadline.
I will warn some of my firnds who are planning to get GCGI in the near future.

The Licentiateship Award (9101-01)
Last registration date:31/12/2013

The Licentiateship Award In Electrical Engineering
Accreditation Noata unavailable
Typeata unavailable
Creditsata unavailable
Guided Learning Hoursata unavailable
Last certification date:31/12/2013

Edited: 10 July 2013 at 10:25 PM by MosheW
 11 July 2013 08:16 AM

TomG

From their website:

senior awards will no longer be available From the end of august 2013

Senior Awards are being replaced by Professional Recognition Awards. The deadline for all applications is 16 August 2013 and any applications received after this date will not be processed. Please ensure that you allow plenty of time for postage.

All the application forms that you need in order to apply for any of our Senior Awards (valid until 31 August 2013), whether you are interested in gaining an award in Engineering, Leadership and Management or even Animal care are listed.

Candidates will not be able to apply directly to City & Guilds for a Professional Recognition Award and will instead need to contact their local City & Guilds office who will provide a list of approved centres in their region.

11 July 2013 08:52 AM

MosheW

Thanks

I wander if centers will accept CEng, IEng and EngTech for
Professional Recognition Awards.

Edited: 11 July 2013 at 08:58 AM by MosheW
 12 July 2013 09:22 PM

TomG

My concern now is will having a Senior Award be damaged by them now being replaced by something else?

I would also wonder if the centres recognise engineering registrations for instant conversion, hence why I'm eager to have an application in by the deadline.

13 July 2013 06:19 AM

MosheW

At least they will be named the same. they are still awards and Professional Recognition vs Senior.
Still LCGI, AfCGI, GCGI, MCGI.
When I read the requirements for the awards they are similar to what used to be Portfolio or Thesis rout.
I expect them to add value to our awards.

Time will show.

C&G also created two Diplomas that are recognized by IET for IEng and CEng.

Graduate Diploma in Engineering and Post Graduate Diploma in Engineering.
These are classroom based for working adults as alternate flexible rout to IEng and CEng professional registration.

In a way they are equivalent the Graduate Diploma is comparible to GCGI and Post Graduate Diploma to MCGI.

I use the syllabus as supplement to GCGI and MCGI. as they are equivalent.

Edited: 13 July 2013 at 06:25 AM by MosheW
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.