Increase font size
Topic Title: You Tube channel
Topic Summary: young engineers becoming chartered
Created On: 05 June 2013 08:50 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 05 June 2013 08:50 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

leighjenks

Hi, I have had an Idea that I wanted to run past people. I am a young engineer who has recently graduated and just started my second engineering job (a graduate scheme).

Whilst looking for information on becoming chartered I noticed that there was no personal videos on you tube. I also felt like it took me ages to start my intention to become chartered because I was unsure on where to start.

I was wondering what peoples thoughts were regarding a set of You Tube videos following my progress, struggles and general information relating to becoming chartered. Input would be helpful
 06 June 2013 02:43 AM

MosheW

Good idea, Young Engineers need guidance and there are less examples, case reviews. Go for it.
 06 June 2013 01:48 PM

faramog

I for one would be against putting videos on youtube. Its not a circus. Its a professional review with 3 peers.

'examples' tend to get copied .. and what if the style of 'your' interviewers differs.. there is no one solution here - be professional !

-------------------------
Eur Ing Graham Prebble CEng MIEE
 06 June 2013 05:58 PM

leighjenks

Graham,

Are you thinking I'm talking about the final interview. What I was purposing is videos following my progression through meeting the requirements, how to log these requirements and my general route through to becoming chartered.

I understand that giving the low down on interviews isn't a good idea because every one is different and I wouldn't be thinking of that.

I started with a company who didn't support the IET and trying to do it your self when you are a young engineer is hard and daunting. now I'm on a graduate program I thought It was a way of supporting others that don't have support from their companies.

Leigh
 07 June 2013 11:05 AM

Kermode

If you are serious about doing this, put the video on the IET site.

Videos (and other files) can be uploaded by any registered member on to the IET's MyCommunity pages. The Professional Development community so far has no videos available.

Community administrators can remove files, block users, etc.

I would not do exactly what you are proposing. There would be more value (and less risk) in producing the video once you have completed the process.

Regards,
Geoff Kermode
 07 June 2013 04:33 PM

leighjenks

Hi Geoff,

Thank you for your feedback. It is very helpful and I just received an email today with a link to the professional development community. I didn't know it existed before that so I will have a good look through it and it may help me with stuff I'm not 100% on in regards PD.

Leigh
 07 June 2013 04:44 PM

amandalewin

If it hasn't been done already, a guidance video on using Career Manager could be good.

Amanda

'At some point we all must chose between what is right and what is awesome'
 07 June 2013 05:31 PM

rossall

Hi all

You might be interested in this video on IET.tv about professional registration. If you would like to provide feedback, the professional registration staff would be pleased to hear from you.

Regards

David Rossall
The Institution of Engineering and Technology
 09 June 2013 08:18 AM

leighjenks

Hi David,

The video was very interesting and full of good advice. I think a similar video would be good on starting to log competence and what is expected for evidence. Thank you for your links and I will be contacting the PR staff to ask them if they could do such a video.

Leigh Jenks
 11 June 2013 01:45 PM

rossall

Amanda - sorry, should have replied earlier. There are three films on Career Manager, and these can be found by a search on IET.tv or by the link from the Career Manager page (right-hand column).

However, as explained on that page, Career Manager is being upgraded and so the films will be out of date. I understand that consideration is being given to what should replace them - probably not a like-for-like set of films, however.

Regards

David Rossall
 12 June 2013 02:06 PM

katybain

Whilst not a video, we do have a guidance document on collecting and collating evidence along with some guidance for candidates working toward professional registration on the Initial Professional Development webpages which you may find useful.

Regards,

Kathryn Bain

Kathryn Bain
IPD & Mentoring, Professional Development Dept
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.