Increase font size
Topic Title: Professional Development
Topic Summary: The Best Courses
Created On: 16 May 2013 01:45 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 16 May 2013 01:45 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

McNultyT

Hi,

I recently became a member and have just started using the forums, I have also recently registered my intent for preofessional registration.

My question is what professional development courses and other accademic courses has everyone done and found useful?

I'm trying to put together a training and learnig plan that I can present to my employer.

Any advice and information would be greatly appriciated.
 16 May 2013 03:54 PM

Simon750

All depends on your existing qualifications really.

That will decide which direction to take

-------------------------
Simon Long CMgr FCMI FInstLM
 16 May 2013 08:21 PM

MosheW

Most if not all of my colleagues who took Project Management classes that lead to recognized credential such as PRINCE2 or PMP are highly satisfied with the versatility the added skill provided them.
 16 May 2013 08:21 PM

MosheW

Most if not all of my colleagues who took Project Management classes that lead to recognized credential such as PRINCE2 or PMP are highly satisfied with the versatility the added skill provided them.
 03 June 2013 10:46 AM

planetz31

I am fortunate in that I am on a Graduate Development Programme (which has involved over 15 courses including project management, winning bids, EMC & CE marking and so many others) and so I get a wide range of CPD provided. Although this keeps most of my collegues happy I decided to go a bit further.

I am also a member of Toastmasters International where you get great presentation and communications skills for very little investment (~£60 a year) and I trawl Groupon for various training courses. I managed to get a 6 month Prince2 course for £99 and have convinced my company to pay for the tests.

All in all I have 3 DAPs. One is my technical skills which evolves through anual discussions with my line manager, the second is the one provided by my Graduate Programme and the third one is a personal one for development outside work. It is the third which is most active and evolving (I also have Rosetta Stone French and am planning on enrolling for a Diploma in Business Writing after having done Prince2).
 03 June 2013 10:54 AM

Simon750

Originally posted by: planetz31

I am fortunate in that I am on a Graduate Development Programme (which has involved over 15 courses including project management, winning bids, EMC & CE marking and so many others) and so I get a wide range of CPD provided. Although this keeps most of my collegues happy I decided to go a bit further.

I am also a member of Toastmasters International where you get great presentation and communications skills for very little investment (~£60 a year) and I trawl Groupon for various training courses. I managed to get a 6 month Prince2 course for £99 and have convinced my company to pay for the tests.

All in all I have 3 DAPs. One is my technical skills which evolves through anual discussions with my line manager, the second is the one provided by my Graduate Programme and the third one is a personal one for development outside work. It is the third which is most active and evolving (I also have Rosetta Stone French and am planning on enrolling for a Diploma in Business Writing after having done Prince2).

When do you get the chance to work?

-------------------------
Simon Long CMgr FCMI FInstLM
 03 June 2013 11:44 AM

planetz31

The bestter question is how does my wife put up with me. I finish on the GDP in July and will be winding down my personal CPD from August as I am also planning on launching my own company.

The GDP I am on spreads the training out (its mostly 1 or 2 days courses) and I normally attend 1 technical course a year. As for the CPD I do myself outside work I try to make sure its flexible. 4 hours on one Saturday a month I dedicate to Prince 2. The Toastmasters International is only 2 meetings a month of 3 hours each.

One week a month I take a book out from the library and I take the train to work instead (saving on mileage on my car) but it means I get to do some reading. This week its Neil Taylors contribution to the "Brilliant" series on Business Writing.
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.