Topic Title: City and Guilds MCGI
Topic Summary:
Created On: 06 May 2013 05:05 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
<< 1 2 Previous Last unread
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 02 January 2014 03:31 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

lmorley

This seem like this panel was giving you a hard time.. I think for Academics maybe lots of applied research in Engineering may help to show real engineering work.

I am sure there are others that can provide mentoring around this topic..
 02 January 2014 04:42 PM

sunnyboy

http://www.cache.org.uk/Centre...ualifications-2013.pdf

-------------------------
Luciano Bacco
 03 January 2014 10:47 PM

kasese

So where is the responsibility in research - no needs to take notice!
 21 January 2014 05:09 AM

lmorley

I think the MCGI is equivalent to the MEng in terms of the level of competence required to execute on the job. Even when you take all the courses, you are cutting across areas and not deep in any. There is nothing that prevents the MCGI holder from learning a new area in Engineering whether by personal research or taking classes. So while the content is not exactly the same, the level of maturity is probably higher which counts for a lot in the scheme of things.
 23 January 2014 12:16 AM

mbirdi

Originally posted by: lmorley
I think the MCGI is equivalent to the MEng in terms of the level of competence required to execute on the job.

In a practical sense, I would agree with you.

There is nothing that prevents the MCGI holder from learning a new area in Engineering whether by personal research or taking classes.

What happens if they have no formal academic background in engineering, and discover a lot of mathematics is involved in understanding the new subject?

One thing I've observed over the years is that matured experienced technical staff, management and even non-technical graduates struggle with understanding higher level maths, because they hadn't developed the aptitude for it whilst at school.

Learning maths is like learning to read music and play an instrument; or learning a new language. It's easier to learn it at a young age then when older.

Unless I'm given evidence to the contrary I would, for the present time, disagree with you above.

So while the content is not exactly the same, the level of maturity is probably higher which counts for a lot in the scheme of things.

I would certainly agree with you there. MCGI is generally awarded to mature individuals with considerable experience. An MEng degree is not related to maturity, but rather demonstrates the holder has an academic aptitude to learning and understanding core engineering subjects; which on the whole contain a lot of maths, in addition to the maths subject(s) included in the syllabus.

Edited: 23 January 2014 at 03:33 PM by mbirdi
 24 January 2014 02:33 PM

westonpa

Originally posted by: mbirdi
Learning maths is like learning to read music and play an instrument; or learning a new language. It's easier to learn it at a young age then when older.

However it is often easier to know you want to learn it when older and this can aid learning.

Regards.
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.