Increase font size
Topic Title: Aspirations of attaining CEng - help wanted
Topic Summary: How to choose the best MEng programme and career route
Created On: 23 April 2013 11:41 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 23 April 2013 11:41 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

CelticHeathen

Hi all,

I am in the early stages of my post-grad career in Engineering (an Hons degree + 1yr post-grad experience) and am looking to attain my CEng in the long-term but am unsure who/where to turn for advice on the next step.

Basically, I want to do my MEng P/T while continuing my career and building up my continuing professional development (CPD). Can anyone recommend a good MEng programme that is both IET recognised and affordable?

Secondly, I work in the field of Electrical and Power Engineering as a Project Engineer (soon to become Project Manager) but wondered if it may be worth my while aiming for IEng as a stepping stone to CEng?

Lastly, what help can the IET offer in terms of guidance on both counts?

Any assistance is massively appreciated.

Thanks!
 23 April 2013 01:39 PM

Parsley

Ask the IET for a Mentor.

The Mentor the IET linked me with was a great help and encouraged me to continue my application when the IET's feedback was confusing and rather negative at times.

The Mentor will assist you with reviewing your work experience against the competencies required for IEng and CEng applications.

Regards
 24 April 2013 11:21 AM

dhoussein

Parsley is right - a mentor can help you. I'd also get in touch with you local network as many of them have Professional Registration Advisers among their ranks.
 26 April 2013 12:35 PM

DonaldFisher

Hi,

It will be an MSc that you'll be looking to undertake as an MEng is an undergraduate degree (ie it's a 4/5 year course including Hons degree as oppose to a 1 year Masters).

Accredited programmes here - http://www.theiet.org/academic...opsis-accred-list.cfm

If your going to be studying whilst working then it'll have to be at a uni that is reasonably close to you - where are you based? If you're planning on studying at a uni that's not close then you'll have to look at Distance Learning MSc.

Would defo recommend IEng on route to CEng; that's what I have done. It will give you experience in pulling everything together and also an insight to the application/interview process. That way, when you come to preparing for CEng, it's not completely new. Plus, there may be a cash benefit from your work for achieving professional registration.

In terms of help from the IET - as the others have mentioned, applying for a mentor would be a good start. Although, I'm not sure they can advise on Masters courses.

Cheers,

JBB

-------------------------
JBB IEng MIET
 01 May 2013 04:44 PM

CelticHeathen

Thank you very much for each of your replies, it is much appreciated.

@Donald Fisher:

Am I right in saying that while both MSc's and MEng's are acceptable for CEng, the latter is more widely recognised in the Engineering world as a whole?

I am deliberating over both options and am torn, tbh.
 05 May 2013 02:51 AM

SAVIO

MEng is a full-time undergraduate master's degree. It's a 4-year degree programme after your A-level.
MSc is a part-time post-graduate degree. It is aimed at those with a BEng(Hons) degree who wish to become CEng.
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.