Increase font size
Topic Title: Professional Registration advice
Topic Summary: Clarification on applying for IEng/CEng
Created On: 14 April 2013 07:23 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 14 April 2013 07:23 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

jaeso

Hi guys I'm not really sure how this all works but I am interested in the IEng/CEng professional designations as part of my continuing professional development.

I will give you my background first: I did a Computing degree which I finished in 2010, in early 2011 which I started a small IT consultancy abroad to gain some commercial experience. In January this year I started a graduate scheme in the Commercial side of a large Manufacturing/Electrical Engineering company while studying a part time MSc in Technology Management online. My role and future roles will expose me to areas of marketing, product management, business development, new product development. So really I just want some guidance in how the process works and where to get started. I have read many documents here on the IET website as well as the Engineering Council. Here are my questions if anyone is willing to help.

1) My hons degree and MSc aren't accredited by the IET, is this going to be a big problem?
2) Is it worth pursuing the IEng designation first and later the CEng? In your opinions will my areas of work allow me to fulfill the competencies needed for the designations (anyone work in the commercial side of engineering that is an IEng/CEng?), I understand if this question is hard to answer.
3) Do I start the process now or when I feel I have enough experience. I think it has been suggested elsewhere on the forum, that it is a good idea to join the IET now and keeping a record of my experiences and how they meet the competencies detailed in UK-SPEC. If this is the way to go I assume I need to join as an associate?

Thanks for any help provided, I am new to all this so I appreciate any guidance here.
 14 April 2013 09:47 PM

dlane

Hi and welcome to the forum

To answer your questions, in my opinion;

1) No I don't believe it will be a big problem, more work may have to go into the assessment of your application to show that your level of learning matches the requirements for your registration level and there may be some elements of the content of your qualifications that may require some support, but that won't be known without going through the particular degrees.

2) That is an awkward one without knowing more in depth details. If you are going to wait until you have completed your MSc then I personally would not look at IEng unless the the work experience you are gaining does not fall into the CEng categories.

3) Yes start the process as soon as you can and register your intent with the IET to become registered. It will be easier that way to show the improvments and progress you have made. If you have a degree and some experience then you may be elligible to join and apply for MIET, you will need this to become registered as IEng / CEng anyway. You will also need supporters for your application, one of which must be from the IET. Joining the IET will also open up the opportunity to obtain a registered mentor / PRA. The sooner you have one on board then the more structured your application can be made and the advice they give will be based around your requirements, remember every application for registration is assessed individually and is unique to that applicant.

A PRA will also be able to look more in depth at your qualifications and experience and give you the best advice on whether or not to apply for IEng first.

You say you are on a graduate scheme, does your company support IEng / CEng and is the scheme registered with the IET? Utilising the scheme will be the best way to gain registration by far.

Good luck with your studies and the rest of your career.

Kind regards

Donald Lane
 15 April 2013 07:28 AM

apwebb

Hi

If you'd like continuity of support and guidance through the process I can recommend requesting a professional mentor through the IET. They will be able to discuss options with you in more detail and offer advice on how to shape and align your experience to the UKSPEC competencies.

http://www.theiet.org/membersh...iservice/applymentor/

Kind regards

Andy Webb
CEng MEng MIET
 15 April 2013 09:31 AM

jaeso

Hi Donald thank you for your reply it is much appreciated.

1) Brilliant, I suppose that is one less hurdle.

2 ) will probably wait until after the MSc to submit an application; I believe I would need at least 2/3 years work experience before submitting so I iwll try and keep a record of experience and how this matches up to the competencies and see which application makes sense at the time (IEng/CEng). I would finish my MSc around then as well; 2-3 years (it is a modular program).

3) Thanks I will register at the begining of next month then, I am not sure if I am eligible to apply for MIET though as I my degree is in Computer Science and I have around 3/4 months of engeneering experience, is there anyone I can ask about this?

My company does support IEng/CEng applications and I will hopefully find an internal mentor to help when I can. It is quite an informal support structure from what I can tell and is not registered with the IET.

Thanks for your reply Andy,

I have been in contact with a local mentor in the area, I am hoping to use his expertise to help me through the process, but there were some questions he advised that I would need to speak to the IET directly about. One of these things was whether I could register with the IET with a degree that wasn't accredited by yourselves (I believe it has been confirmed that I can register with yourselves.)

Thanks both for your help so far.

Regards, John
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.