Increase font size
Topic Title: Recent working graduate - IEng / CEng routes
Topic Summary:
Created On: 09 April 2013 07:39 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 09 April 2013 07:39 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

duncanbain

Hi guys,

I've recently graduated with an accredited BEng (Hons.) in Mechanical Engineering and have now taken up employment in an engineering (design engineer) position. It's a fairly small company and does not have an accredited scheme, but due to the size of the engineering department I'm getting a large amount of experience and exposure, so it's excellent.

I'm just wondering what route I need to take to start working towards gaining professional accreditation as soon as possible!

I've done my research but it's a pretty vast area so I'm hoping there's some knowledgeable people here who can help steer me in the right direction!

Thank you!
 10 April 2013 08:48 AM

roybowdler

The most important aspect is to develop a mind-set of adding value to your employers business, especially so in the case of an small or medium enterprise (SME). It is a good idea to keep summary records of your achievements and IET Career Manager can help to bring these together in a format which helps to build your professional registration case. A technique I also recommend is to keep a "learning log" ie reflect regularly (say weekly or even daily) on issues that you have encountered - asking yourself - what didn't I fully understand or what would be worth researching further? Allocate some time to follow up on these points each week. Challenge your existing understanding using friendly colleagues and contacts (IET activism can be very helpful) in a quest to take it to another level.

Your career will naturally take you towards professional registration, this might be IEng or CEng initially depending on the type of knowledge application and responsibilities you develop. Please don't be misled into believing that only CEng has value. Without knowing you work in detail IEng might be the best option for you in the next few years, either way good luck in your career!

-------------------------
Roy Bowdler IEng FIET FCIPD
IET Registration & Standards
 10 April 2013 08:57 AM

dlane

Hi and welcome to the Forum,

If you are just starting out then achieving accreditation will probably be more valuable to your career and relatively easier to achieve.

Research the requirements from the information on this webstie and the EC UK website. Look at what the criteria is for registration and start to record the evidence from now, you can use something like career manager on the IET website.

Also record you career development and extra training. Not just as a list of achievements, show how it has developed and how you have utilised training to improve aspects of your work.

You will struggle to do this alone so get yourself a mentor and work with them to produce a structured approach, a professional registration advisor within your area will be able to offer advice specific for you. You will need the support of your company to expose you to the kind of work and tasks that will meet the registration requirements. You will also need 2 supporters for your application, FIET members of the IET are ideal for this.

If you have the time, get incolved with the IET and the local area network, it will add to your support base for achieving registration and could get you supplemental work if you are struggling to achieve certain aspects of the competency required.

Seek advice from many different sources and use what is relevant to yourself and your position. You will come across many believers and many critics of registration. Take them all into account and use it to decide what is best for you and your career.

Good luck with it all.

Kind regards

Donald Lane
 11 April 2013 03:48 PM

katybain

Duncan,

As a recent graduate you may wish to register your intent to work toward professional registration with the IET (www.theiet.org/IPD). This will allow the IET to support you as you work toward professional registration with information about the process.

If you are looking for a mentor and can't find one internally, the IET also offer a mentoring service for IET members mentoring service for IET members working toward professional registration.

Kind Regards,

Kathryn Bain

-------------------------
Kathryn Bain
IPD & Mentoring, Professional Development Dept
The Institution of Engineering and Technology
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.