Increase font size
Topic Title: Non accredited BSc, accredited MSc
Topic Summary:
Created On: 04 April 2013 09:24 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 04 April 2013 09:24 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Jamobryant

Hi,

I am seeking some guidance, I have attempted correspondence with an advisor to no avail but am hoping someone may be able to assist me.

I am ultimately seeking Ceng registration.

As for qualifications and experience;

I have worked in the engineering department of a train operating company since 2003. In this time I completed an advanced modern apprenticeship in railway engineering involving an NVQ L3. I have also achieved the following;

ONC Mechanical Engineering
HNC Electrical / Electronic Engineering
FdSc Electronic Engineering

My most notable qualification being an Electronic Engineering BSc with 1st class honours.

My BSc qualification is however not accredited with the IET.

I currently work as an assistant fleet engineer with the same train operating company where amoungst other things, I oversee various engineering projects.

I am very keen to identify the best route for me to attain Ceng notoriety.

I plan to study part time for an Embedded Systems MSc at Wesminster university. This course is quoted as being accredited as a 'programme of further learning'

Basically, does my BSc hold any value as part of my Ceng progression and will my proposed MSc be of any value?

Absolutely any guidance pertaining to the best route for me to take would be hugely appreciated.

Many thanks,

James
 04 April 2013 10:48 PM

dlane

Sorry you haven't heard back from an advisor, did you approach directly or via the IET. It is probably best to approach the IET and request an advisor, there is a link on the registration pages.

There may be some on these forums who will offer you their assitance.

Gaining CEng is a mixture of learning and experience. The requirement for CEng is learning up to a master level so both your BSc and your proposed MSc will account towards that. The fact that your BSc is non-accredited is fairly irrelevant. All accredited means is that they have been pre-assessed and cuts down a little on the amount of assessment to be done. Gaining an MSc is probably the fastest route to showing that you have the required learning level and produces the least argument. In my experience it is very hard to prove masters level learning through work based training and experience, there is less of an acceptance that this kind of learning is equivalent, especially amongst those in academia.

The best way to achieve CEng is with the support of your company, do you know if they have an accredited CEng/IEng scheme?

At this moment in time based upon your brief description you are probably elligible for IEng, that you could use as a stepping stone. It gives you an idea of the process and what to expect and also shows your intent.

You can also submit an application to the IET via career manager to show your intent to register that would give you feedback on where you may need to show improvements.

The other piece of advice would be to get involved with the IET on a volunteer and local network level. Besides being enjoyable it enhances your contact and support base.

Good luck with your career.

Kind regards

Donald Lane
 09 April 2013 06:47 PM

Jamobryant

Thank you for the reply, it was very helpful indeed.

In essence the best route would likely be to apply for Ieng registration and then complete the MSc plus any further tasks to improve competence where required, then submit registration for Ceng.

They do offer a scheme called APEDS Link removed/about-atoc...engineering/graduates

This scheme is used for graduates entering the railway. I however graduated after entering the railway so I am unsure if I can complete this scheme retrospectively. I am yet to get in contact with an advisor for this.

Many thanks again.
 10 April 2013 09:01 AM

dlane

I am not from that sector so can't offer any advice on the scheme but hopefully you should still be able to access it, I see no reason why not.

Sadly though there are many companies out there that provide registration support in the form of new entrants and graduate schemes but then provide very little support for existing engineers.

To an extent, in my experience, I have found the same within the IET.

Hopefully though your company will be different and you will get the support you need and deserve.

Kind regards

Donald Lane
 11 April 2013 10:12 AM

Phil-Newstead

One word of warning if you apply and are accepted for IEng and then subsequently gain an MSc you will not 'automatically' be eligible to apply for CEng unless you have also progressed in your career in the time since gaining IEng, paying special attention to UK Spec Competencies a and B.

Phil Newstead
 28 April 2013 09:05 PM

locknut

Originally posted by: Phil-Newstead

One word of warning if you apply and are accepted for IEng and then subsequently gain an MSc you will not 'automatically' be eligible to apply for CEng unless you have also progressed in your career in the time since gaining IEng, paying special attention to UK Spec Competencies a and B.

Phil Newstead

This is the exact situation I will be in next year.

I already have IEng and a BEng (Hons) ,nearly finished my MSc and hoping to apply for CEng in 12 months time.

Both degrees are accredited and I have enough work experience now to progress to CEng.

Have many of you followed this route ?

Have any of you had any issues progressing from IEng to CEng being in the same job as you were when you were accepted as IEng ?
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.