Increase font size
Topic Title: ASEE (IIExE) Diploma in Engineering Management
Topic Summary: ASEE (IIExE) Diploma in Engineering Management
Created On: 26 March 2013 06:23 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 26 March 2013 06:23 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

benson98

Quick question, has anyone got this qualification ?

I passed it some years ago and cant find anything on it now, some people on linkdn sqay its equal to a NVQ5 does anyone know or have any proof, want to go for IENG and wondered if it was recognised.

Any info would be good, Thanks

Steve
 27 March 2013 11:14 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

roybowdler

The qualification was discontinued quite some time ago and does not add great value to an IEng registration application now. It is relevant and should be listed, but the Diploma in Engineering Management was designed to provide experienced engineers with management knowledge. Technical engineering qualifications should always be declared ,as they help to illustrate the knowledge on which professional engineering practice is built. In particular engineering qualifications considered exemplifying by Engineering Council at the time they were taken, will always offer some advantage.

The ASEE/IIExE became part of the IET via subsequent mergers and this heritage is respected. I was a member myself and currently active committee members were on the ASEE/IIExE governing committees. In addition to the qualification, ASEE/IIExE also ran the major ELECTREX exhibition for some time.

Equivalences are always tricky territory and the introduction of QCF creates some confusion with respect to historic NVQ levels. I think it would reasonable to suggest that the programme was similar to an existing CMI level 5 (QCF level) Diploma - unless anyone has evidence to the contrary? Historically there were many different vocational management awards. For example I did an Institute of Industrial Managers one (IIM became part of CMI) immediately following my engineering HNC. NEBSM/ILM is another example of the genre.

For anyone applying for any type of professional registration please note that formal management or supervisory qualifications (including MBAs) may add value and help develop a career, but we are first and foremost recognising engineering excellence in its different forms, by nominating a person for inclusion in the UK register of Engineers.

-------------------------
Roy Bowdler IEng FIET FCIPD
IET Registration & Standards
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.