IET
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Online list of registered engineers
Topic Summary: is there an online list which I can use to check that someones registration?
Created On: 18 March 2013 03:33 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 18 March 2013 03:33 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

benharrison

I am currently recruiting for a role and wish to confirm applicants details.

I have searched everywhere for a list of registered engineers, and cant find one either on individual institutions websites or at the engineering council.

Such a list must exist?! Or else anyone could just say the are Chartered...

Can anyone help?
 18 March 2013 05:41 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

roybowdler

There is an on-line database, but access is heavily restricted to comply with data protection legislation. Engineering Council own the Engineers Register and they should be your point of contact. If you are an IET member we may be able confirm the registration status (or not) of another member? I would need to check the rules exactly, but fishing for information would not be acceptable. A simpler route might be to ask the individual to prove their status prior to employment ie making a conditional offer, if you like them. Personally I would suggest care in making a specific registration category (such as CEng) a "requirement" rather than "desirable", for example is IEng acceptable, or a non-registrant who meets the job requirements but hasn't yet registered (tut tut!). Gaining registration can be a useful independent validation of current practice, but for someone with a long held registration you are partly making your own call on their career achievement; some "due diligence" has been exercised, but it's only part of the picture.

-------------------------
Roy Bowdler IEng FIET FCIPD
IET Registration & Standards
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.