IET
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Difference between Education (Section F) and Professional development (Section G)
Topic Summary: Where should i list my courses
Created On: 09 March 2013 03:24 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 09 March 2013 03:24 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

jfeeney

Hi All,

I am just started to complete the registration application for the title of Chartered engineer and find section F and G of the application forum to be much of the same thing. Could someone please explain what the difference is between them.

I have completed several in house training courses, external training courses and not sure which section I should include them in.

Any help with be appreciated.

kind Regards

John
 09 March 2013 05:28 PM

DavidParr

John,

I would say that Section F (Education) is the place to record your formal education (HND, degree, PhD etc.)
Section G (Professional Development or Training Schemes) is for your in-house and external training - training in the world of work.

I agree that education never stops nowadays (or at least not if we want to maintain employment!)

Regards,

-------------------------
David Parr BSc.CEng MIET
PRA
 10 March 2013 02:36 PM

jfeeney

Hi David,

Thank you for your prompt response.

Your explanation for section G and F is what I felt the IET were looking for. However I have several C&G qualifications which I will now try and list in Section G. My only problem with section G is there is no where to list the name of the course, classification of the award or educational establishment.

Are applicants aloud to alter the application form?

Apologies if I am being a nuisance but I would like to complete the application as intended by IET.

Kind Regards

John

10 March 2013 04:51 PM

DavidParr

I suggest you just enter your ongoing professional development C&G courses in the "Company" column, incuding grade achieved and leave the "Accreditation number" column blank. Use the dates columns of course.

No, don't alter the form headings (you can make the white space as long as it needs to be).

David Parr BSc.CEng MIET
PRA
 14 March 2013 05:47 PM

jfeeney

Hi David,

Thanks for your reply. I have several one and two day courses that were provided in house from the company that I worked with. I presume they should also be included. Sorry if these are silly questions I just want to give myself the best chance possible.

Also am I the only person to raise this point.

Regards
 14 March 2013 06:26 PM

DavidParr

I would advise you to include any "learning experience" that demonstates professional development. So, if you attended a presentation that, say, teaches you how your particular company stores and retieves documents, I wouldn't include it. A two week course on advanced programming I definitely would include.

No, you are not the first to raise these questions. Put yourself in the mind of an assessor who is looking for evidence of engineering competence and will himself (herself) be a registered professional engineer. Avoid padding it out - how would you judge the person who had included it?

In a long winded way I am saying be succinct

David Parr BSc.CEng MIET
PRA
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.