Increase font size
Topic Title: The Presentation
Topic Summary:
Created On: 10 December 2012 05:27 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 10 December 2012 05:27 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Peddler

Good Afternoon Fellow Engineers,

Sorry If this has already been covered

I am putting together a plan for IEng status, I work as Lead Engineer for a large Oil & Gas organisation. On paper I'd be aswell screwing in light bulbs so i guess it's time to get registerd as an Engineer of some description.

I want to know a little more about the presentation , usually I stand at the side of a projector white board or record my dulcet tones and sit and watch it with the team but I've no idea what is required in the IET interview.

Do I preapre it on a Microsoft project file ? is there a PC and Projector in the room. ? Do I show images of past projects or do I simply stand up and talk about myself.

any insight would be appreciated

tks

Craig

-------------------------
You can Learn from an Apprentice
 10 December 2012 05:54 PM

hamishbell

Hi Craig,
First of all, I encourage you to apply. It may not change your life, but it marks your status as an engineer, recognized by your peers.

The "presentation" is what ever you want. However that's unhelpful, even if true! There isn't a "right way" so don't force yourself into an unfamiliar scenario.

There is a computer and screen in the rooms. Have your presentation on a memory stick (or possibly email it ahead, by agreement). Powerpoint is available. The rooms are quite small so sitting at a round table with the two interviewers and talking is quite the norm. Don't make the slides too full, include pictures if that helps, keep transitions simple, and have a positive ending. Design it for 10 minutes - it'll end up as 15 by the time you've finished.

Remember, the aim is to illustrate your career as relevant to your application. Look at it critically and get someone else to view it also. It's there to give the interviewers an insight into your work and to provide them (in conjunction with your application form) with a basis for asking you questions. It's not a job interview - it's to establish the range and depth of your experience against the stated criteria, so have them in mind at all times.

Finally, don't forget, it's YOUR interview. You can drive it it. If a question seems irrelevant, ask, politely(!) if they could expand on it. It may be there is a difference in terminology or experience which has led to a misunderstanding.

Does that help?
Regards
Hamish

Hamish V Bell, BSc, CEng, FIET, FCQI, CQP
2013 - 2016 Elected Council Member
2007 - 2010, Vice President and Trustee
 10 December 2012 06:18 PM

Peddler

Hi Hamish ,

thanks for taking the time to reply and yes this does help.

Question for you.

should I present a little bit about all the positions I've held or can it be just one , I've held my curent position for 5 years and there is more than enough in it to present just about anything.

also should I talk about the costs involved in projects ?
or major problems etc or has it all to be rosey ?

tks

Craig

You can Learn from an Apprentice
 10 December 2012 08:57 PM

hamishbell

The interviewers will read your application and so will be aware of your history so no need to go over it all. Pick a couple of projects which show how you meet the A and B criteria of the UK Spec. You should have that matrix.

Costs are an integral part of a project so why not show how much (or little) was involved in solving a problem. And - whenever was a project rosey??!! Warts and all shows how you achieved the result despite all adversity.

Regards
Hamish

Hamish V Bell, BSc, CEng, FIET, FCQI, CQP
2013 - 2016 Elected Council Member
2007 - 2010, Vice President and Trustee
 12 December 2012 03:02 PM

boneillfnc

Craig,

I did mine today, it was rather informal. I was seated and the laptop stayed in the bag. I used 5 paper slides to describe the two key projects I am currently working on. Both projects were referenced in my application form and I used this as a opportunity to go to a deeper level than in my application form. In six to eight weeks I'll let you know if this approach was successful.

Regards

Bryan
 09 March 2013 01:44 AM

BilalQureshi

What is the processing time for IEng ?

Is there any presentation at the interview to achieve IEng ?

Best regards,
Bilal

Edited: 09 March 2013 at 10:58 AM by BilalQureshi
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.