Increase font size
Topic Title: Accreditation of a degree
Topic Summary: IET | IEEE
Created On: 04 December 2012 01:43 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 04 December 2012 01:43 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

NickyTeasdale

Hi

I am in my final year of an undergraduate degree in Renewable Energy Engineering.

It is brand new and will be accredited. In the course guidelines it says it will be accredited by the IET but that may be changing to the IEEE. What's the difference?
Are they both part of the Engineering Council?

I obviously want to graduate then gain a job so is one more recognised by employers? I understand most employers look for accredited degrees these days, so we're moving in the right direction. I just want to be confident uni are making the right decision for my future.

This is all new to me so any insight would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Nicky
 04 December 2012 02:08 PM

amillar

Originally posted by: NickyTeasdale
It is brand new and will be accredited. In the course guidelines it says it will be accredited by the IET but that may be changing to the IEEE. What's the difference? Are they both part of the Engineering Council?

Very simplistically, the IET is the UK body, the IEEE is the US body. Only the IET is linked to the EC.

I obviously want to graduate then gain a job so is one more recognised by employers? I understand most employers look for accredited degrees these days, so we're moving in the right direction.

Be very careful when anyone tells you that! Personally (and speaking as an employer within a major UK company) when someone applies to me for a job I neither know nor care whether their degree is accredited. Other companies may be different, but it's not something I've ever heard discussed. Have a look at job adverts for engineers (I don't want to advertise particular websites but Google "engineering jobs" and you'll find several) and see what is being asked for.

Now, an accredited degree will help you achieve professional registration (CEng / IEng), but you can still achieve it without it, and again look at the job sites to find how much CEng / IEng is actually asked for in your field.

I think the most important thing about attending an accredited course is that it makes you feel more confident in it. But the most important thing with any degree is that it's well taught, it covers relevant subjects, and that you find it interesting. If it meets those so that you come out genuinly understanding the subject then employers will like you.

What I would definitely look for are courses that include a strong emphasis on work placements, ideally a year out. That's what will get you a job!

Good luck,

Andy

-------------------------
Andy Millar CEng MIET CMgr MCMI

http://www.linkedin.com/in/millarandy

"The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress." Joseph Joubert
 04 December 2012 02:35 PM

NickyTeasdale

Some excellent comments to take on board, thanks Andy.
 04 December 2012 09:36 PM

NickyTeasdale

I really didn't appreciate this reply much earlier as I was at work. It's so insightful thanks!

I expect my lecturer wrongly said it would be accredited by the IEEE and I should just go with what my course leader said at the start of the year; that it will be accredited by the IET. I'll speak to him soon anyway.

I appreciate accreditation isn't the bee-all-and-end-all but as my degree is in renewables it will give me more confidence. I really need work experience as I work in a call centre currently so have NO industry experience. It's going to be touch though as I'm a mature student so rely on my salary.

Thanks again

Nicky
 04 December 2012 09:38 PM

NickyTeasdale

Tough*
 05 December 2012 02:33 PM

rhysphillips

Er, what do you mean when you say "it says it will be accredited by the IET but that may be changing to the IEEE"?

I don't see how the accreditation can just transfer - it isn't likely that the IET would say "oh now the IEEE consider it accredited, we'll no longer consider it so"...

I suspect someone has given you the wrong information here!
 06 December 2012 06:21 PM

NickyTeasdale

Transpires it is with the IET as originally planned
 12 May 2013 06:20 AM

MosheW

IEEE is not an accreditation body so there is no IEEE accreditation.

IEEE participates together with NSPE and other groups in ABET - American Board of Engineering and Technology.

Just like EngC represents UK, ABET represents USA in Washington Accord.

Usually ABET accredited degrees from USA are recognized in UK as EngC accreditation equivalent.
Holding ABET accredited degree in Engineering satisfy the academic requirements for EngC registration.

ABET accredits programs in USA and Internationally so an University in any part of the world can request ABET to accredit their Engineering program. Usually in order to attract US students.

In USA in order to become a licensed PE one needs ABET accredited degree.

IEEE

Committee on Engineering Accreditation Activities (CEAA)

The Committee on Engineering Accreditation Activities (CEAA) is responsible for implementing IEEE involvement in the Engineering Accreditation Commission (EAC) of ABET, Inc., the accrediting agency for engineering programs in the United States.

IEEE

Committee on Engineering Technology Accreditation Activities (CETAA)

The Committee on Engineering Technology Accreditation Activities (CETAA) is responsible for implementing IEEE involvement in the Technology Accreditation Commission (TAC) of ABET, Inc.

IEEE

Committee on Global Accreditation Activities (CGAA)

The Committee on Global Accreditation Activities (CGAA) is a standing committee that reports to the Education Activities Board (EAB) through the Accreditation Policy Council (APC).
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.