Increase font size
Topic Title: IEng -> CEng
Topic Summary: Application form and interview query
Created On: 26 October 2012 01:12 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 26 October 2012 01:12 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

DonaldFisher

Hi,

I am currently registered as IEng and putting together my application for CEng. Will the process be shorter in any way due to the fact that I have already demonstrated that I have met a lot of the competences required (ie I only have to demonstrate that I have bridged the gap between IEng and CEng)?

Cheers,

JBB

-------------------------
JBB IEng MIET
 26 October 2012 03:48 PM

roybowdler

The simple answer is yes if you mean your initial application. Don't assume that assessors are going to be reading your previous IEng application, but you don't need to explain in as much detail prior to the IEng award, as the benchmark is there.

If your IEng recognition was recent (5 years) then there may be an opportunity to look for clues in assessors recommendations, but your CEng application needs to tell the story on its own.

There will be a general assumption in the initial scrutiny process by assessors that you have illustrated the C to E competences and Underpinning Knowledge & Understanding to nominally "bachelors standard" . However I would want to emphasise that this isn't a "tick box exercise", it is a professional review carried out in a holistic way. Also any IEng assessment prior to 2004 used an earlier standard.

Key to a successful IEng to CEng assessment is illustrating how the different A&B competences have been exercised by stronger technical responsibility and how knowledge at nominally "masters level" is being applied.

The time taken for us to assess won't be shorter as this is set by progress through our stages of review, including an interview. Any applicant who doesn't have an exemplifying qualification or close equivalent is at risk of being slower as we have to establish how your knowledge is being demonstrated. Consulting a Professional Registration Advisor will reduce the risk of additional questions slowing down your application, or at least help you to give the right emphasis to information. A very small percentage of IEng to CEng applications prove to be very close to the boundary between the two or create a "deadlock" of opinion between different assessors. In these cases the relevant committee has to decide which can take an extended period.

Roy Bowdler IEng FIET FCIPD
IET Registration & Standards
 27 October 2012 06:48 PM

mikestamp

Is there another interview required as well? Or is this waived as you were interviewed for the IEng?
 29 October 2012 04:52 PM

roybowdler

Yes an interview is required for all IEng & CEng applications in all circumstances and is a key part of the process.

Roy Bowdler IEng FIET FCIPD
IET Registration & Standards
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.