Increase font size
Topic Title: Career Manager Application
Topic Summary: Help Filling out the Competence Assessment
Created On: 18 October 2012 05:31 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 18 October 2012 05:31 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Wilburforce83

Hi All,

This is my first post on this forum, I have searched the existing posts but can't seem to find the answer I am looking for!

I have no formal qualifications over and above my Advanced Modern Apprenticeship (which got me to EngTech Status, and taught me a lot! - I did it through an MOD contractor and it was very thorough), I have a decent amount of engineering experience behind - just over 9 years. I am currently working as a designer and specifier of Grey Water Recycling Systems. I design these system completely. Sometimes using known and proven systems, sometimes I have developed and tested new process methods and completely new packaged skids.

I believe I am working to a CEng level on a regular basis with regard to my technical knowledge and innovation, I am currently applying for IEng (perhaps CEng) I am not too sure where I officially sit at the moment!

Right, that is a little about myself covered! - I am using the Career Manager to complete my registration; which, thus far has been very useful but I have hit a stumbling block - or perhaps not (cue help!!??):

Upon filling out the UK Spec Assessment page I am writing a brief of my competencies but I am more often than not linking to a technical document I have authored (Specifications, Technical Submittals, site reports, Design Drawings etc.). Is there anyway I can collate this data for an on-line application? I have currently given Directory links to CD I have compiled with all of the relevant supporting documents i.e. \\Case Studies\Specs\Multi-media filtration auto-drain-down design spec.pdf etc.

Any help or advice for doing this kind of (evidence based) application through career manager would be greatly appreciated.

Kind Regards

Will Shearer
 23 October 2012 03:38 PM

dlane

Hi Will,

You should not need to include a copy of the technical documentation within your application from career manager. You can certainly reference to some of it and it would be appropriate to take some of it to the peer review interview.

The object of the application on career manager is to get you onto the next stage of assessment and then interview, a bit like a CV gets you a job interview. If they require more information at the next stage they will approach you for it.

The biggest problem you will probably hit is being able to proove that you have the technical knowledge at a Masters Level which will be the requirement for CEng. I would concentrate your application in that area as that is where you will be challenged most.

If you haven't already, approach a registration advisor who will be able to review your application and provide guidance on what should be included.

Good luck with your application.

Kind regards

Donald Lane
 23 October 2012 04:03 PM

Wilburforce83

Hi Donald,

Thank you for your reply. I have since approached a very helpful PRA in my area who has outlined the application process in much more detail. I am currently applying for MIET status to get the ball rolling while I compile my evidence.

I am not too worried about the knowledge proof - although you are right - I am concentrating my efforts here; I work in a new emerging industry (Grey Water Recycling) so proof of innovation is certainly no problem. I have been involved in commenting on new standards with the BSI and I am in the process of becoming a BSI committee member for new water recycling codes. I also design and author most of our companies design specifications for new equipment.

Part of me wishes I had gone the academic route; finished my physics degree got a Masters and so on, however I have always excelled at design and innovation and my job prospected always out accelerated my education. It would have certainly made things like this easier if I had!!

Thank you for taking the time to respond, hopefully I can come on this board in months to come as a CEng and offer my advice on the process.

Kind Regards

Will Shearer
 24 October 2012 01:19 PM

katybain

Dear Will,

Thank you for your query regarding Career Manager. Donald is right that there is no need to include technical documentation within your applications, as your PRA has probably told you it is better to provide a brief (perhaps 200-300 word) description of each activity that you have undertaken focussing on your personal contributions using active verbs such as "I designed," or "I built" to describe these.

If you have particular examples of evidence you can present these in a portfolio of evidence, and referencing and indexing these in Career Manager is helpful to categorise them against the individual competences.

-------------------------
Kathryn Bain
IPD & Mentoring, Professional Development Dept
The Institution of Engineering and Technology
 11 March 2013 09:04 AM

andyyeung

Originally posted by: katybain

Dear Will,

Thank you for your query regarding Career Manager. Donald is right that there is no need to include technical documentation within your applications, as your PRA has probably told you it is better to provide a brief (perhaps 200-300 word) description of each activity that you have undertaken focussing on your personal contributions using active verbs such as "I designed," or "I built" to describe these.

If you have particular examples of evidence you can present these in a portfolio of evidence, and referencing and indexing these in Career Manager is helpful to categorise them against the individual competences.
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.