IET
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Membership of Thailand Equivelant of UK IET
Topic Summary: Does UK IET have reciprical (MofU) with a Thailand equivelant Institute
Created On: 25 June 2012 11:07 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 25 June 2012 11:07 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Ed Whelan

Dear ALL,

As a Fellow Member of the IET, I would like to join a Thailand equivelant Institution.

Question is: does the IET have a memorandum of understanding (or similar) with Thailand institutions e.g. Thailand Council of Engineers or Engineering Institute of Thailand, where IET members can automatically qualify or independently seek membership with the assistance of the IET?

Appreciate your feedback.
 25 June 2012 01:52 PM

afwilson

The IET does have a Memorandum of Understanding with the Engineering Institute of Thailand, but it does not provide for reciprocal membership of any kind.

-------------------------
Andrew F Wilson
IET Governance & Legal Affairs
 26 June 2012 02:07 PM

Ed Whelan

Thankyou, I'm not sure if you received my response yesterday.

Can you make available to me a copy of the MoU between the IET and EIT.

Also explain what the following statement refers to on the IET website:

"Details of the organisations, outside of the UK, with which the IET has reciprocal arrangements for the extension of privileges to members."

Thank you.
 28 June 2012 12:32 PM

Ed Whelan

On the IET website there is reference to a Memorandum of Understanding with global institutions and refers to "Details of organisations, outside of the UK, with which the IET has reciprocal arrangements for the extension of privileges to members."

Questions:

Would the IET make available to me a copy of the MoU between the IET and Engineers Institute of Thailand (EIT)

Explain what is mean't by 'the IET has reciprocal arrangements for the extension of privileges to members.

Would the IET support me as an applicant for membership of the EIT, if so how
 28 June 2012 02:31 PM

afwilson

This MOU is only to allow members of each society to attend the free-of-charge events of the other society.

The IET cannot act as supporter of an application for membership of another society. It is customary for supporters to be engineers with personal knowledge of the candidate.

Andrew F Wilson
 29 June 2012 03:02 AM

Ed Whelan

Would the IET make available to me a copy of the MoU between the IET and Engineers Institute of Thailand (EIT)
 11 July 2012 12:27 PM

Ed Whelan

I exchanged a number of private messages (between 29 June & 4 July 2012) and did not receive a response from 4 July (message below) from the IET representative, perhaps it was an oversight or the person is on leave. Could I have a response please.

Mr Wilson,

Forgive me, I am new to the IET website and getting around requires practice, adding that I overlooked the final sentence of your message 29 June 2012 01:16 PM

Therefore, would you forward me a quality pdf copy of the MoA with Thailands IET please.

Thank you.

Ed Whelan 04 July 2012 11:21 AM Read View Delete Message
Old Private Message Ed Whelan Mr Andrew F. Wilson,
 11 July 2012 01:06 PM

rossall

I am sorry for the delayed response. You are correct that Andrew Wilson is on leave.

The IET does not normally distribute the texts of its MoUs. Andrew has provided a summary of this one's import.

Is there a specific question that he has not already answered? If so, I will try to obtain an answer for you.

Regards

David Rossall
The Institution of Engineering and Technology
 11 July 2012 02:07 PM

Ed Whelan

thank you, yes andrew said "no" in one message and "yes" in a subsequent message, I have copied the string below:

Mr Wilson,

Forgive me, I am new to the IET website and getting around requires practice, adding that I overlooked the final sentence of your message 29 June 2012 01:16 PM

Therefore, would you forward me a quality pdf copy of the MoA with Thailands IET please. I bel

Thank you.

Ed Whelan 04 July 2012 11:21 AM Read View Delete Message
Old Private Message Ed Whelan Mr Wilson,

I would like to clarrify that a transalation would be done by a lawyer or registered bone-fide translator.

and

Events where EIT members (IET members through the wording of the MoU) can be organised through the EIT or their 3rd party's, and decissionee's for access purposes will not know of the recrical agreement between the institutions and therefore access can/will be denied.This would lead to a wasted journey and reluctance to attend further events (a situation that negates the need and intent of the MoU in the 1st plaace. 30 June 2012 05:13 AM Read View Delete Message
Old Private Message Ed Whelan Mr Wilson,

Right now I live in Thailand and there are career opportunities, more so that Europe right now.

I do not need the MoU to seek membership of Engineering Institution Thailand (IET) e.g. I can do this without the MoU.

In the meantime, I have opportunities to attend IET & other insttutional lectures/seminars etc where a copy of the MoU on IET letterhead paper, together with a Thai transaltion (I will organise), will ease access to these events.
30 June 2012 04:30 AM Read View Delete Message
Old Private Message afwilson Dear Mr Whelan

The MOU that the IET has with the Engineers Institute of Thailand has no bearing on your application for membership of that body, as the MOU does not relate to reciprocal membership or reciprocal recognition of qualifications or anything of that kind. The IET can provide you with a copy of this document.

Yours sincerely

Andrew F Wilson
IET Head of Governance and Legal Affairs 29 June 2012 01:16 PM Read View Delete Message
Old Private Message afwilson Mr Whelan

The MOUs are not published and so we cannot provide copies of them on request. Can you explain why you would like to read the MOU?

Yours sincerely

Andrew F Wilson
IET Head of Governance and Legal Affairs 29 June 2012 01:13 PM
 12 July 2012 08:37 AM

afwilson

I confirm that we cannot provide a copy of the MOU. On checking our records it seems that the MOU has in fact expired and reference to it was left on the webpage by mistake. I am sorry for any inconvenience this may have caused. The webpage will be corrected shortly.

Andrew F Wilson
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.