IET
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: CEng with BSc(Hons) + PGDip???
Topic Summary: PGDip /MSc requirement for CEng
Created On: 05 June 2012 05:53 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 05 June 2012 05:53 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

DonaldFisher

Alrighty,

Hope someone can help...

I fully understand that typically Masters level education is required for CEng but wanted to ask if anyone knows how strict the assessors are when presented with a PGDip (Masters minus thesis) for academic requirement - can anyone advise?

My situation is that I'm halfway through an accredited MSc but have decided to go to business school next year and therefore cannot have any other commitments when applying. So, I am considering deferring my thesis until I complete my MBA (if allowed). I just wonder if doing so then will I also be deferrring my CEng registration?

Cheers.

-------------------------
JBB IEng MIET
 06 June 2012 03:49 PM

roybowdler

An applicant for professional registration needs to demonstrate professional competence, underpinned by suitable knowledge. In the case of CEng the knowledge is currently exemplified by an accredited MEng or BEng + MSc. Any applicant without fully exemplifying qualifications is assessed individually based on their qualifications and career achievements. Therefore IET assessors do not "require" any specific qualification, they examine the evidence of competence presented as a whole.

The most important elements of any CEng application is to demonstrate having exercised technical responsibility and leadership. In the case of someone who has demonstrated IEng reasonably recently and is aspiring to CEng this means a strong focus on the A&B competence areas in UK-SPEC. For CEng these are underpinned by masters level knowledge. Therefore formal post-graduate study of technology may be very helpful, but is not a requirement. For many people with experience, something short of a full MSc is sufficient, but if the opportunity is available to complete a MSc then it would seem sensible to do so.

The focus of an MBA programme is different from an MSc dedicated to technology and is therefore not likely to enhance technical capability much. If someone is aspiring to, or in the process of developing a senior management career, then an MBA (or other non technology based masters programme) may be an excellent choice, but Chartered Engineer is about technical mastery first and foremost. There are many examples of engineers (IEng & CEng) in management roles (many with MBAs) but they were technically proven before becoming managers.

I would always advise anyone making choices between different academic options to go in the direction that most closely supports their career aspirations, or if in doubt opt for something that has the broadest applicability to a range of situations. A technology MSc closely linked to the area of practice supports CEng best and an MBA offers broad business leadership potential. But as an IEng (first) who then did an MSc (second) became chartered in another discipline (third) and added an MBA {last) I would say there are many possible pathways. It's nice to be able to choose, but often its about being prepared to make the most of the unexpected.

Roy Bowdler IEng FIET FCIPD
IET Registration & Standards
 07 June 2012 10:02 AM

DonaldFisher

Roy, thanks for the your comprehensive and informative response.

I believe by this time next year, I would have the technical experience to apply for CEng but was concerned that I may be dismissed if I had not fully finished my MSc. The decision to go for an MBA is not at the expense of my Masters/CEng, it's in addition to both.

In an ideal world, I would have completed my MSc next year and gained CEng later on in the year, and would have hoped to go to business school in 2014. But with the current economic uncertainty, and now there is no guarantee that I will be at the same company (who allow me study leave) in two years time, it's making me want to bring ahead enrolling in 2013 instead. This route was at the possible expense of delaying my thesis (as I can't have any other study commitments when starting the MBA).

In any case, I have spoken to both universities and if I can complete my thesis within a shorter period of time (2 - 3 months), then I will be able to both finish my MSc and start my MBA next year.

Cheers.

JBB IEng MIET
 09 July 2012 09:21 PM

James Connolly

Donald,

The decision is based on a mixture of relevant experience/technical competency coupled with academic qualifications.

An MSc is not always required if you can show that you are working at the appropriate level.

I 'only' have an ordinary BSc and was still successful in my application for CEng.

Regards,

Jim
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.